Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] High CA breakdowns.. What should I do?
High CA breakdowns.. What should I do?
This is my 6th night on CPAP..
I do not feel I am getting better, although I have become acquainted to wearking masks in my sleep..

All 6 nights, there is a high CA (Clean Air) breakdown in my chart.

What change should I make to my setting?

My current setting is.

CPAP fixed 10 pressure
RAMP 20min (starting at 5)
EPR 2 (only during RAMP)
Humidity 7 (out of 8)

Thank you in advance for your support!
You guys rock! (more than my sleep doctor..like)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High CA breakdowns.. What should I do?
FYI, Here is a capture of my Sleepyhead..
Post Reply Post Reply
You have a leak problem, which you need to get fixed. Since you have a nasal mask I assume your mouth is opening, causing the leak. You need to fix this either by learning how to keep your mouth closed or possibly using a chin strap.

You AHI, while a bit high, is not too bad for the first week. Your fixed pressure might be a bit high because it seems to be controlling our OA's and Hypopneas well. Clear air apneas are fairly normal when you begin therapy and usually go down after a few weeks. But you might benefit from changing to a variable pressure which your machine can do - maybe run it from 8 to 12 and see if that helps.

Some people do do better on a fixed pressure, though. You might also try lowering that by a cm or so and see if the CA's fade away. Or you might want to wait a couple of weeks to see if they go away spontaneously as they often do.

For some reason your CA's aren't showing on your screenshots except on the pie chart, so we can't tell when they are starting or stopping. We need to see this plus your flow limitations and snores to make a proper judgement. On steady pressure the machine can't respond to these by seeing them might tell us what might be initiating your events.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2016, 01:43 AM)hs8738 Wrote: FYI, Here is a capture of my Sleepyhead..

Hi hs8738,
It would be helpful if we could see the clear airways, snores, and flow limitations on the event graph.

To turn those on, go to the bottom of the sleepyhead screen, to the right, and you will see the Event Flags. Click on arrow, and choose the above to be included in your graph.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for your reply.

I did not know how to provide sleepyhead information on the forum.

I will get back to you with detailed info.

Thank you again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hs8738,

As eseedhouse noted, it is not unusual for new users to have central apneas and for the central apneas to mostly go away within the first weeks or months of treatment. Higher pressures often tend to make central apneas more frequent, so you might want to consider lowering the pressure slightly, like to 9.

A pressure of 10 was probably prescribed to prevent obstructive events when sleeping on your back, which is usually the worst sleep position for obstructive sleep apnea. If you can totally avoid sleeping on your back, you might not need the pressure to be as high as 10.

Your leaks were not so bad that the machine was unable to maintain treatment pressure, but when unintended leaks are greater than around 30 L/minute, the machine will not any longer be able to reliably distinguish between central apnea (CA) versus obstructive apnea (OA), and any apneas will be marked unknown type apnea (UA).

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 693 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,422 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 213 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 297 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.