Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] High Hypopneas - New to CPAP
High Hypopneas - New to CPAP
Hi Everyone,

Firstly thank you to all the people who help out around here. I've only been diagnosed 2 weeks ago and the wealth of information here is awesome!

Okay, so my home study came back with an AHI of 34.7 and I was recommended a CPAP machine - I jumped at because I've been trying to solve my daytime sleepiness for what seems my entire life and this could finally be it. The first night using the machine gave me much more energy the next day, and also the next, I could instantly feel a difference. However after a week there seems to be something not quite right as my AHI seems a bit high still (around the 6).

I have attached the oscar charts and as you will see the reported AHI seem to be mostly hypoapneas? And in the second chart I zoomed in to show my breathing pattern, which looks somewhat irregular..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High Hypopneas - New to CPAP
You can reduce some of the H events from stopping sleeping in a position that cuts off your airway. You have some positional apnea in my opinion. 

We call it chin tucking. When your chin drops to your Sternum you are cutting off your air. No settings can help this. Think of it like a garden hose, you have a small bind (link) in the hose you still have good flow of water, less than before the kink but still good (that’s a flow limit). You take a couple steps and the link gets worse, now the stream is 50% (H event), you move further and the water shuts off (obstruction event). 

You may be sleeping on your back or sleeping on a high pillow or pillows. Those would be fairly easy yo correct. If those don’t work the a collar may be what will work. PLEASE look at a link for collars in my signature.

The second thing to do is raise the min pressure to 7. It will allow the machine to react quicker for stop H events.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High Hypopneas - New to CPAP
I agree with SB.

Your minimum is too low it should be at least 7.

I see positional apnea too.  Read the Cervical collar link in SB signature

If you have only been DX 2 weeks ago why do you have a recalled machine?  The Dreamstation 1 is on recall.  You should not be using that machine and no DME should have given you one of those.  You need to ask for a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.

Welcome
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 231 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 124 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 688 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 104 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 116 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,412 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 212 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.