Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you Ramp?
This poll is closed.
Yes- I prefer the ramp feature
32.50%
13 32.50%
No- I dislike the ramp deature
55.00%
22 55.00%
I could take it or leave it
12.50%
5 12.50%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

To Ramp or Not To Ramp? Is that the question?
RE: To Ramp or Not To Ramp? Is that the question?
(12-16-2014, 08:56 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: I
Now that I'm using nasal pillows, though, I prefer just to start it right up at 9.

Lamb

I have already stated my preference in another thread but I use the ramp feature. Interesting enough Lamb, my ramp starts out at your therapeutic pressure.

I like the ramp as a comfort feature, but there is another reason that I use it. When I first get into bed with the VPAP recently turned on, my whole body is adjusting to going from vertical to horizontal. I often do a fair amount of coughing and throat clearing and moving around for a while and I do not want to be worried about whether or not the machine is going to score any of it as an event.

I could probably start right out at 20 cm/H2O but I do not see the need.

Galactus - make that the odd two out.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2014, 12:08 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(12-17-2014, 09:13 AM)Amie87 Wrote: POTATOES!!!

*ahem*

lol. I think it my therapy pressure gets increase too much, I may use the ramp feature, but forget starting at 4!!! I would at least start at 7. 7 Is comfortable for me. But then again, I have only tried the nasal mask so I'm not sure what it's like with a full mask or nasal pillows.

I've also heard people say that at 4, sometimes people feel starved for oxygen and perhaps that's why I don't like ramp! We'll have to see when I go back next month to have my pressure adjusted.

I resemble that remark. I can not breathe at 4 or 6, I can almost breathe at 7 or 8. You can likely call them and they can tell you how to adjust your ramp pressure up, or we could tell you if you feel comfortable adjusting it yourself. You can always put it back where it was and make like you were innocent and didn't touch anything as well.

It's pretty easy to change on my machine. Also, if I want anything changed I can call the DME office and they can adjust anything remotely. I don't want to play around with the settings at the moment mainly because I'm getting use to the machine and if I have problems or it doesn't solve me issues, I don't want the doctor to assume its because I was not using it as they prescribed. OHIP covers a lot and if I change the pressure outside what's prescribed, I don't know if they can revoke the amount they covered for my machine (I know there are certain instances where I would have to pay OHIP back, one being if I don't go back for the sleep study next month, and another I would assume if i just stop using it).

I'm going to give it a solid week, and then I will ask the DME to up it. I can go as high as 9 with my current prescription, but that would likely change next month.

--Also, OHIP covers my sleep studies 100%, and since the pressure and machine are considered a prescription and a medical necessity, I'm not sure if failing to follow the directions would prevent OHIP from covering further tests, since they will cover future tests every 2 years if I need a reevaluation of the CPAP's efficacy
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2014, 01:51 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(12-16-2014, 08:56 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: I
Now that I'm using nasal pillows, though, I prefer just to start it right up at 9.

Lamb

I have already stated my preference in another thread but I use the ramp feature. Interesting enough Lamb, my ramp starts out at your therapeutic pressure.

I like the ramp as a comfort feature, but there is another reason that I use it. When I first get into bed with the VPAP recently turned on, my whole body is adjusting to going from vertical to horizontal. I often do a fair amount of coughing and throat clearing and moving around for a while and I do not want to be worried about whether or not the machine is going to score any of it as an event.

I could probably start right out at 20 cm/H2O but I do not see the need.

Galactus - make that the odd two out.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Ah yes, I always knew you were odd, now it's been documented, and admitted, bless your heart Big Grin Here's a (((((((hug))))))) it's ok.

You know I have to say though, you have me thinking, I wonder if I did use ramp if I could get my ears to adjust in a few minutes rather than this annoying popping. You may have me interested just enough to try it. Then I might be part of the odd's though. Maybe I'm already odd and just don't know it, maybe this is all just a dream, hmmmm.

(12-17-2014, 03:40 PM)Amie87 Wrote:
(12-17-2014, 12:08 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(12-17-2014, 09:13 AM)Amie87 Wrote: POTATOES!!!

*ahem*

lol. I think it my therapy pressure gets increase too much, I may use the ramp feature, but forget starting at 4!!! I would at least start at 7. 7 Is comfortable for me. But then again, I have only tried the nasal mask so I'm not sure what it's like with a full mask or nasal pillows.

I've also heard people say that at 4, sometimes people feel starved for oxygen and perhaps that's why I don't like ramp! We'll have to see when I go back next month to have my pressure adjusted.

I resemble that remark. I can not breathe at 4 or 6, I can almost breathe at 7 or 8. You can likely call them and they can tell you how to adjust your ramp pressure up, or we could tell you if you feel comfortable adjusting it yourself. You can always put it back where it was and make like you were innocent and didn't touch anything as well.

It's pretty easy to change on my machine. Also, if I want anything changed I can call the DME office and they can adjust anything remotely. I don't want to play around with the settings at the moment mainly because I'm getting use to the machine and if I have problems or it doesn't solve me issues, I don't want the doctor to assume its because I was not using it as they prescribed. OHIP covers a lot and if I change the pressure outside what's prescribed, I don't know if they can revoke the amount they covered for my machine (I know there are certain instances where I would have to pay OHIP back, one being if I don't go back for the sleep study next month, and another I would assume if i just stop using it).

I'm going to give it a solid week, and then I will ask the DME to up it. I can go as high as 9 with my current prescription, but that would likely change next month.

--Also, OHIP covers my sleep studies 100%, and since the pressure and machine are considered a prescription and a medical necessity, I'm not sure if failing to follow the directions would prevent OHIP from covering further tests, since they will cover future tests every 2 years if I need a reevaluation of the CPAP's efficacy

I have to say not rushing changes is always a really good idea. I find going at least a week to ten days with no changes at a bare minimum is always a good way to gather data.

I knew you'd like that pan Dielaughing
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find that ramp doesn't deliver me enough air at the beginning. So it feels like I can't breathe and have to really suck in. It's very uncomfortable. My pressure is only 10 so I don't know if that matters. Even when I first started CPAP several years ago I turned the ramp off after the first few days. My new machine was set to ramp and I had to figure out how to turn it off the first time I used it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2014, 04:41 PM)Amie87 Wrote: Hey everyone,

Being a new CPAP user, I have a question about ramping from those that have experience with it.

For my fist night, I used the ramp feature and found at first I could breath well, but then as I dozed off (and presumable the pressure increased) I found myself waking up with a slight difficulty with breathing, nothing significant though, kinda just uncomfortable). It seems that some people like ramp and others don't.

My question is, for those who have tried both, do you prefer the ramp or not and why?

See, I'm the exact opposite of you, From day one I've used my CPAP at full pressure, anytime that I try to use it with ramp, if feel short of breath until it kicks up to full pressure. My feeling (2 cents mind you) on it is the sooner you acclimate yourself to the full pressure the better and eliminates the need for the ramp, so body has the consistency from hitting the pillow till wake up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2014, 07:00 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: Put me down for no ramp. I've never used the ramp feature but would rather get the pressure going right away so I can know if I've knocked my mask into leaking mode while I'm trying to get comfortable. I figure I'm incompetent enough when fully awake so fixing a leak when I'm half asleep is best avoided if possible. Besides, when I tried it, I found that I was lying awake waiting for it to jack up the pressure and the suspense was killing me.

I agree! Jemstone
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used ramp before and been happy with it. I don't need it as my pressures are low. When I have suggested it to others, I always suggest short duration ramping, 5 to 10 minutes. I only suggest it in times where your prescription min is significantly higher that in the past. Ramp from old pressure (not less than 6) to new pressure. Then, dump it when you are used to new setting.

another part of the story. I have set my ramp to my start pressure. This is a practical matter - when I roll on my back, and the system responds and bumps me up, and I roll back onto my side, I want to reset the pressure, and would rather not stop then start the machine. So, I punch the ramp button, and presto! [it seems that when I stop and start my machine, I fall asleep between the stop and the start, so I find myself 20 min to an hour downstream before I actually get to pressing the start.]

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm 3 months into my treatment and I've started with auto ramp the first month then went to a 5 minutes of ramp, I just the last couple of nights have shut the ramp off, Well I can honestly say I really don't need it now but the 5 minutes of ramp didn't really bother me.
I think the main reason is it ramps along at nice steady pace to my minimum pressure of 9 cm if it stayed at 4cm too long did say I'd be looking for more air.
Good either way but for now no ramp. Smile
It's definitely a comfort feature if set-up properly.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 2 ramp time Sir Snoresalot 4 389 01-08-2024, 08:35 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 573 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  [Equipment] Turn off Ramp. CactusJack 4 9,099 03-30-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: DISleepApnea
  Ramp Time JeffL 4 598 03-28-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Machine noise during ramp-up. rfkennard 0 407 01-05-2023, 07:31 PM
Last Post: rfkennard
  Reverse ramp feature? McPhearson99 9 965 01-01-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Does machine kick In if you have apnea during ramp time Scott12579 4 1,047 08-21-2022, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.