Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Home vs lab for sleep study
RE: Home vs lab for sleep study
(11-14-2014, 06:39 PM)DariaVader Wrote: My Sleep Dr had me do a home study rather than the lab study. It caught 80 incidents over 8 hrs giving me an AHI of 10, but here's the thing - I was only actually asleep for the last 5 hours - blinky lights and wires kept me fully awake for 3+ -- and the analysis said that all of the events were in the last half of the night along with "other incidents indicative of Sleep Disordered Breathing" and they gave me a diagnosis of moderate sleep apnea based on that rather than mild based on an AHI of 10.

If the home study can't even tell if you are sleeping or not, (and they don't ask) how can it really be a good diagnostic tool?

It depends on the type of home sleep study done. If you had a watch-pat, then it is completely useless as it can give you so many incidents per hour, but not what kind. Can't say obstructive sleep apnea, central, or hypopnea.

Other home studies with the chest band and other devices may be more accurate.

For me I would choose a lab sleep study every time over any other.
Post Reply Post Reply
$600 versus $3000 sometimes affects the home study versus lab study decision. For pure scientific accuracy, I'm sure the lab study would win the day. However, if the patient is spooked by the strange bed at a lab study and is unable to sleep as usual, that can very well affect the accuracy of the session and possibly make a home study more accurate for that type of patient.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2014, 12:21 AM)Blaifarm Wrote: It depends on the type of home sleep study done. If you had a watch-pat, then it is completely useless as it can give you so many incidents per hour, but not what kind. Can't say obstructive sleep apnea, central, or hypopnea.

Other home studies with the chest band and other devices may be more accurate.

For me I would choose a lab sleep study every time over any other.

I had a chest strap with a box on it, a nasal prongs, and an oximeter. The box shot out red lights everytime i turned... if they would have warned me I could have gotten an eye mask! The first time they blinked got my adrenalin going good because I wasnt expecting it. Anyway - took hours to fall into a very restless sleep. Not my normal night by any means.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 86 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 226 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 530 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.