Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Hypothetically- could you do your own sleep study at home with a decent CPAP?
Question 
Hypothetically- could you do your own sleep study at home with a decent CPAP?
I have a daughter in her 20s, who suspects OSA. She planned on booking a sleep study right before covid hit, then the hospital stopped doing them. They're taking limited appointments now, but are booked out several months, till just after our deductible resets. In pondering our options, and while also researching a gently used replacement CPAP for my husband, I wondered whether it would be possible to do your own unofficial diagnosis and titration with, say, a resmed S8, monitoring nightly data with Oscar, over the course of a week? Cost is a concern.

Thoughts, pros, cons, dangers?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hypothetically- could you do your own sleep study at home with a decent CPAP?
The S8 is an outdated machine and not supported by OSCAR.  There would be no data to monitor.  

You would need to look for the S9 or S10 series, preferably the ResMed A10 AutoSet.  Check the Supplier list at top of page.  Supplier #2 offers good low hour lightly used and also new open boxed machines.  

To answer your question, you could use an Auto Cpap set at the default setting of 4 min and 20 max to get an idea if there is an Apnea problem.  It wouldn't be ideal, nor give you the same detail as a hospital study.

Another option is an overnight home study. Many vendors offer it or check to see if insurance would cover it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hypothetically- could you do your own sleep study at home with a decent CPAP?
Hi treehugger,
An oximeter might be a cost effective way to get some info about whether your daughter may have sleep apnea. Contec sells a few models that posters here have used.
The medical establishment have been using oximeters for a long time to 'screen' for OSA.
This study below says that oximeters are approx. 90% accurate with severe OSA, and about 87% with moderate OSA.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4407425/
Post Reply Post Reply
If one were to use a CPAP on 4, the minimum pressure most goes down to, an OSCAR image could be posted or the on screen data may show enough to say a person is most likely to have apnea. It's obviously not very accurate, but you could get an idea if apnea of any sort is an issue. And FWIW someone in their 20's could have apnea. I probably had apnea then as an undiagnosed issue.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP is a therapy device, not a diagnostic tool.
It can’t not provide therapy no matter what pressure it’s set at.
It also can’t tell whether you’re asleep or what sleep stage you’re at, so cannot really provide any useful diagnostic info.
Post Reply Post Reply
We cannot say she is apnea free, only the she is "well treated" at the pressure used. If Al low pressure such as 4 there is significant apnea present you can conclude that she has apnea.

Again, there is no way to conclude that she doesn't have apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a hunch a CPAP machine might even be better at detecting sleep apnea than the little airflow sensor they use in a lab attached to your nose. Though as the last poster noted even with a pressure of 4 you might be treating it to some degree so you can't rule it if out but you could possibly confirm its presence.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 99 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 160 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.