Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] I am commited to make it work - Need Help and guidance
I am commited to make it work - Need Help and guidance
Hello.
I have been trying to get compliant for long time. It will be 5.5 years. With three sleepd studies and moving from S9 Vpap Adapt ASV to Resmed Aircurve 10 ST, I really want it to work. I am sure it has to do with Anxiety as I fall asleep without any issues but keeping it on as a mystery. I got the P10 and it feels better on the face. started with medium but after reading some of the posts here, moved to large size. Sometimes I wake up with "Large Leek" warning, and sometimes, it shows "No Leaks".
Although I have access to the menu, I do not know if anything needs to be tweaked, not sure my doctors is interested to go into the depth of th ST params either. So yes. no cliniciaian to get advice from.
I put image of my Sleepy Head, if any of you could help, I could take different snapshots, to show better scale of specific time.

5.5 years and not giving up but not getting sleep either is quite exhausting Sad

Thanks of any of your help
[Image: usRdNA6l.png]

[Image: KX8crzQl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I am commited to make it work - Need Help and guidance
I'm sure a more knowledgeable member will come along to provide a more detailed insight on your ST.   Normally, hypopneas are a result from too low of a pressure setting.    A slight increase in the IPAP pressure to 11cm should be easily tolerated.

Since your using a P10, I would guess that you are mouth breathing.    Do you awake with a dry mouth?    The mouth breathing can be addressed by several different ways, these include: chinstrap, soft cervical collar, and mouth taping.   Of the three, I would regard the mouth taping as a last resort.  Of the two remaining suggestions, I'm having very positive results with the cervical collar.  It is less expensive, helps prevent chin tuck (an obstructive airway problem) and is more comfortable for me.

I hope this may provide some points to consider.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
do you feel that you were not asleep for some parts of your nights? please say what part you know you were just lying in bed struggling.

is something generally true each time you wake up, like nightmare/dreaming/surprise or strong feeling such as dry mouth or sinuses, sweats etc.

you'll probably get other questions, but also let's add welcome to the forum, and enjoy your stay.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi. Thanks for your response. I do not have dry mouth or sweat, or anything of that sort. While going to sleep is not an issue, i find out that after an hour (Almost always around the 60 minutes mark) I take the mask off. When I wake up aware of it, and put the mask back, it is just overwhelming, I can be another hour with the mask but won't be able to fall a sleep. Taking the mask off, and voila I am sleeping like a baby. This is why I thought it had to do with Anxiety. I did get my doctor prescribed Lunesta 3mg and the only result I got is that I never realized that I took the mask off. Xanax didnt do any better.  When I had my sleep study I was told that I woke up multiple times without an explanation or anything they could see in the study.
If it helps I can provide links to those study reports (All I have is the report and not the study itself)
Post Reply Post Reply
Like the others have said, those with more experience than I will be around. Your Hypopnea count is high, as was mine, I found it disturbing. For me this kept me from getting good sleep, at the suggestion of some here I increased my lower pressure (by 1-2cm) by it turns out I needed 1.6cm and the hypopneas went away and I am sleeping fine now.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you need more pressure.

I would increase your settings to ipap 12/epap 8. Could try 11/7 if you want to move slower/cautiously.

As Crimson Nape stated, you may be leaking air through your mouth. this may become more of an issue with increased pressure. a swich to a full face mask might be in order if you can't fix the leak.

Taking the mask off without realizing is quite common. Maybe try switching to a mask that is harder to remove. I would suggest a F&P Eson as an option if you want to stay with nasal masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi. thanks for getting back to me.
How can I tell that indeed I am breathing through the mouth. I know that When I  speaking while wearing the p10 I feel air torbulance so strong that I close my mouth right away. I can go back to the resmed Mirage quatro full face, but I actually had worse results with that mask and found it less tolerable. (Most of the time I was not even aware taking it off). Do you have recommendation for which soft cervical collar, should I try?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would initially try an adjustable collar. They are more readily available.  The size range specific models come in narrow, medium and wide for different neck lengths as well as neck size ranges.  The biggest problem was trying to find a sizing guide for these.   As luck would have it, my neck size is exactly on the break point in sizes.  

Based off a casual observation here on the board, it would seem that the two most currently popular full face masks (FFM) are the F&P Simplus and the Resmed F20, now available with memory foam cushions.  I've had very good result with the Simplus, but the new F20 really has piqued.my interest.

As a point of trivia; Each one of us has a maximum tolerable pressure before things like mouth breathing, and aerophagia occur.  You can use it at your next cocktail party.   Big Grin

I almost forgot; In an attempt to reduce the mask removal, you could try wearing it while watching TV or reading to grow use to wearing it. This simple exercise has proven very effective.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the recommendation. looking at the collar right now. About wearing it while watching TV. I could have wear the Full Mask (Resmed Mirage Quatro) with the P10, There is not enough air coming in if the CPAP is not working. I feel suffocated (with the medium size for sure).  I still dont think it is the issue of the mask being on, otherwise, I would assume I would not fall asleep first time either, which is not the case.
Post Reply Post Reply
First I'd be asking why they swapped you from an Adapt/ASV to a ST, the ASV treats more breathing patterns and there must have been a reason for the adapt/ASV in the first place. I would be contacting my doctor and unless you have developed CHF, I'd be jumping up and down.

I'd get a full face mask working with your apnea treated first, as it removes a variable, You can choose to use a nasal later and work on mouth leaks. You need to get a full face working for when you have colds anyway.
I used a chin strap over the top of the mask, as another layer that helps stop nocturnal removal. Head bands etc could be used too, keep making it harder. Just keep the vents of the mask clear. when you intend to take it off, sit up first, so you can't go back to sleep without it.

This may help you get a background understanding of how a ST works and it's titration.
from page 21 onwards and page 34 onwards
https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...lo_eng.pdf
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 36 1,315 1 hour ago
Last Post: apneavolt
  New to BiPAP Therapy: Seeking Guidance on Settings Kevinbipap 4 157 04-24-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Kevinbipap
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 2 186 04-21-2024, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Abrecaminos
  Tools for "forced" side sleeping (noodles), do they work Fox66 2 123 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,210 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 362 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 562 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.