Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] In-Lab Sleep Study - What should I know
In-Lab Sleep Study - What should I know
Hi everyone Shy

I am a 24 year old student. Although I am living a healthy lifestyle, I often feel completely exhausted after I get up and tired during the day. I was suspecting poor nasal breathing (what isn't actually an explanation I guess) so my ENT had me do a home sleep study. Results: pAHI of 5, pRDI of 12.3 (pAHI/pRDI in supine position: 12.3/25.4.). Minimum oxygen saturation of 93. He says that those results are completely normal. However, the internet says otherwise, so I made an appointment with an actual sleep doctor, who scheduled two nights in a sleep lab (next week). He also said that it might be very well possible that I need therapy and the second night might be used to adjust the CPAP.

Is there anything I should be prepared for? And what if the In-Lab sleep study is negative?

P.s.: Sorry for any grammar errors (and you are very welcome to correct via PM oldman Happy Eyes )
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: In-Lab Sleep Study - What should I know
The first question I have is: how much sleep do you get a night?

As for the study, there is nothing to prepare for, unless you're like me and can't go to sleep before 12:30. I require a prescription sleeping pill to put me out , otherwise, my mind races and won't allow me to nod off.

PS. Welcome to the forum!
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get around 8,5 hours sleep every night.

Usually I am fine, but when there is pressure to fall asleep (like when I have an exam) I struggle sometimes. Should I just ask my doctor before the sleep study?

P.s.: Thank you Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2015, 10:05 AM)Dement Wrote: I get around 8,5 hours sleep every night.

Usually I am fine, but when there is pressure to fall asleep (like when I have an exam) I struggle sometimes. Should I just ask my doctor before the sleep study?

I guess the real question is: Will sleeping at a center cause you any anxiety? Can you easily go to sleep in strange places? Depending on your answers, you may want to discuss your concerns with the doctor before your study.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dement,
You can Google information. Just type in "Sleep study".

Some basic things to prepare for that you may not think about:
Bring your own pillow, blanket. It may help you to feel more comfortable.
Call the Sleep Clinic and they will tell you how to prepare for test.
Sleep-well

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
PollCat, I will definitely do that! Thank you Smile

OpalRose, Okay, thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep clinic was set up nicely. King sized sleep number bed, fan, hdtv. They just didn't have any cups for water. So bring your own cup.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dement,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you at your next sleep study and hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 146 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 64 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.