Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] In home test vs sleep study
In home test vs sleep study
I did an in-home sleep test back in January, I think and got a call from the Dr's office last month asking if I'd been fitted with a cpap machine yet.. It was news to me! All I was told is that I have moderate sleep apnea and did I want them to refer me to a sleep study or home medical equipment supplier for the machine.

I went with the home medical equipment to try save a few $ because my insurance has high deductibles and generally doesn't pay that much but yesterday I found out I was going to have to pay $250 up front and $75 rental fee!

I could buy one from some of the suppliers I've seen cheaper than that. But I have no idea what pressure I would need or any of the other things I've seen mentioned here.

Is the sleep study worth it diagnostically? I know I can't do it completely by myself and have to have a Dr. but I don't know that mine is going to be sufficient.

Thanks,
Stephanie
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: In home test vs sleep study
I don't think the doctor have any idea of the pressure either, he'll need to start somewhere and make some adjustment based on the data
Of course, you can learn all of that, all the materials are available from the board including the tracking software and the clinical manuals but maybe for now keep up with the doctor and let him/her guide you through the process

Two important things to consider, machine and mask choices
As i have only used ResMed machines, I recommend "AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her", top of the range autoPAP, user friendly, report good amount of data on the machine display and on the SD card
Mask choice is a personal thing, try few ones, in general ... nasal pillows and nasal masks are easier to deal with but will need to breathe in and out through the nose, a chinstrap helps keep the mouth closed while using either of these types

Sorry, I don't know enough of your insurance system, but sure others do

As for home sleep study, imo works for most people with obstructive sleep apnea, some might require sleep study in a lab for a more complex sleep disorder

Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
You can just buy an auto, set the pressure range and work from that. Contact a supplier. Most of them have RTs and some even have contacts with doctors who provide home sleep studies. They send the kit and instructions home to you, you do the study and send the info back. The doc there then reviews and recommends. You can do your OWN settings, but they can also assist you since the newest machines have modems allowing them to make changes if you feel incompetent to do so yourself (or have vision problems).
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tootired2,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on cpap for 20 yrs or more,brisbane hospital was the earliest one doing sleep study.I live in Mount Isa,had to return
to Brisbane for check ups,well never kept up with check ups to far then.Well recently went to local doctor complaining about being tired,asked him,to find somewhere to do another sleep study,he ended organizing a home sleep study,which concluded my pressure needed to be dropped,I was told by Brisbane,all those years ago,that your pressure never gets dropped,unless you have a dramatic weight loss,& that definitely hasn't happened.I feel like sh*t,as if I don't use a machine.The other thing it could be is the machine,not working properly.I thought the last time I tried to read the SD card,it was empty.The computer with the appz on it died,so I 'm just downloading it again.My question is,can pressure be decreased in therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI/RDI 28.1, SAT < 88% FOR 22 MIN, MOD SLEEP APNEA;

Just found this in my records online - does anyone know what it means in plain english?
Post Reply Post Reply
Translation, your apnea hypopnea + respiratory disturbance index totals 28.1 events per hour which gives you the diagnosis of "moderate" sleep apnea. As a result of obstructed breathing, your blood oxygen saturation (SpO2) was less than 88% for 22 minutes, with the remainder to your sleep time above that threshold. This shows you have a medical necessity for treatment to prevent desaturation. There is CPAP in your future.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!

I have an appointment this afternoon and I'm going to ask for a copy of my prescription so I can shop around myself, with and without insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll assume you are going to ask for an auto CPAP and will plan to self-titrate? You may be offered a titration study but an APAP will do the job better, using the data and forum resources to optimize. Be clear with your doctor that you intend to manage your therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2016, 09:01 AM)tootired2 Wrote: Thank you!

I have an appointment this afternoon and I'm going to ask for a copy of my prescription so I can shop around myself, with and without insurance.

HI tootired2! I feel for you during this time...I know several weeks have passed & hope you are on the road to better sleep. It is amazing the difference it makes!!
Most important, be patient with yourself,getting used to the mask...the hum of the equipment takes time to get used to. Quality sleep is THE most important criteria anyone can have!

Sleep-well
I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 101 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 237 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 146 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.