Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Increased AHI due to weight loss
Question 
Increased AHI due to weight loss
Curious if anyone else has had this happen.
In the process of loosing weight, on the Atkins low carb diet, my AHI has increased. I have lost 15 lbs. and AHI has increased into the 7's, so far.
Before the diet I was consistently below 5, usually between 2 & 4, with an occasional reading in the 1's. I was under the impression that loosing weight  AHI decreases. I have an appointment with my sleep Dr. in August, but thought I would check the forum beforehand. Personal experiences or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Increased AHI due to weight loss
I recommend you download #Sleepyhead and post a chart or two. The missing information is the specific model of machine you are using, type of events, and whether you have tried anything but fixed pressure at 15 per your profile. So far your post is a pretty good argument for auto-CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't mention the types of events your having. It's possible to have an increase in Clear apnea events due to weight lost. The reason would be your pressure requirements have become less and the excess pressure is causing clear apnea.
Like Sleeprider recommended, downloading a sleepyhead chart would help to sort it out.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
This is just a general question, not a suggestion regarding OP's situation, but is it possible that weight gain could permanently alter the structure of the airway, in much the same way that it can cause excessive skin?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. If you gain weight around your neck and than lose it, excess tissue can still be left behind.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  tidal volume formula height/weight eok361 5 206 04-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 10 435 04-04-2024, 03:18 AM
Last Post: bushinc
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 215 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 338 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Health] AHI Increased - Covid Positive amfar33 2 443 12-27-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,425 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 434 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.