Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Interpreting breath patterns
Interpreting breath patterns
Hi:

I'm on my second day of APAP treatment going through the data, I found a weird breathing pattern (to my eyes) and I'm wondering if anyone knows if this pattern means anything?  There seems to be minimal out-breaths in this section.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interpreting breath patterns
And for contrast this is the breathing pattern just before the last image:

Any feedback/suggestions welcome - thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
That's not weird, that is expiratory mouth breathing. It's not hurting anything. But. . . .

See the clusters of obstructive events? That is an indication that you are 'kinking' your throat and thus causing a form of positional apnea. This can be caused by too many pillows or something like that. Try a flatter pillow. If that doesn't work you may need a soft cervical collar to maintain your neck alignment. See the link in my signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the first pattern a sign that I was actually asleep at that point?  On my graphs that particular pattern is rare which is why I originally felt it was "weird".  Most of the sections on my graph have a much more pronounced negative section to the curve such as this:

Post Reply Post Reply
in the second image, you had an arousal at 14:21:15 which resulted in your taking deeper breaths and flushing CO2 out of your system to below your apneic threshold resulting in a central hypopnea. You built up to deep breaths flushing COP2 once again gradually lowering and a central apnea occurs. You finally come out of it with normal breathing with exipratory mouth breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2021, 09:18 AM)Gideon Wrote: in the second image, you had an arousal at 14:21:15 which resulted in your taking deeper breaths and flushing CO2 out of your system to below your apneic threshold resulting in a central hypopnea.  You built up to deep breaths flushing COP2 once again gradually lowering and a central apnea occurs.  You finally come out of it with normal breathing with exipratory mouth breathing.
I'm using a nasal mask, so the lack of a negative section is what is telling you there is mouth breathing?

Edit:

Read your replies again, and that is exactly what you are saying.  Thanks for the help, this has helped a bunch for learning to interpret the data.
Post Reply Post Reply
The breathing is a closed loop system, the flow rate accounts for what it sees going in and out. without the exhale portion of the curve the air that was inhaled had to go somewhere. It had to exhale via the mouth. So yes, that is what told me that.
Post Reply Post Reply
The pressure at this time was at the minimum (7), I'm wondering if this is a sign I should bump up the minimum pressure, or is this as you say more likely to be a sign that my neck is kinking?
Post Reply Post Reply
The clusters of obstructive events usually indicate a 'kinking' of the neck. That is not pressure related.

I didn't look at pressure, I do suggest you go with a min pressure of 8, not the 4 you are at. 8 because you are using a DreamStation and they do not respond as fast to events as ResMed. & minimum to allow for the full range of the Flex to work. More for comfort than anything else.
Post Reply Post Reply
The minimum on the machine was set to 7 so I'm not sure why it's showing as 4.  Another problem I had is the software imported the new data into an old date rather than create a new  day?

The first day I had it set to A-flex at 3 and it felt forced/unnatural to me so I bumped it down to a setting of 1, but I can maybe try bumping it up to 2.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,127 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Help interpreting iMatrix resvent Data Adamby1047 0 100 03-16-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Adamby1047
  Interpreting Oscar values SleepingTight 0 139 03-10-2024, 06:53 PM
Last Post: SleepingTight
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,042 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 772 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps
  Help interpreting Oscar results stanley61 10 473 03-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: stanley61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.