Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Interpreting breath patterns
RE: Interpreting breath patterns
(06-03-2021, 09:25 AM)mrtea Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 09:18 AM)Gideon Wrote: in the second image, you had an arousal at 14:21:15 which resulted in your taking deeper breaths and flushing CO2 out of your system to below your apneic threshold resulting in a central hypopnea.  You built up to deep breaths flushing COP2 once again gradually lowering and a central apnea occurs.  You finally come out of it with normal breathing with exipratory mouth breathing.
I'm using a nasal mask, so the lack of a negative section is what is telling you there is mouth breathing?

Edit:

Read your replies again, and that is exactly what you are saying.  Thanks for the help, this has helped a bunch for learning to interpret the data.

Ok, I'm curious, when I wear a nasal mask I sometimes see a pattern that's kind of the reverse of that?

The expiration has a big tail, while the inspiration barely comes off zero. Does that indicate inhaling through the mouth and exhaling through the nose?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interpreting breath patterns
It's normal for expiration to have a tail and be twice as long as inspiration. Look at the volume under the curve, each expiration should have the same volume as the preceding inhalation, if not something happened. So a small volume inhalation followed by a large volume exhalation would indicate that.
Assuming the start of the chart as normal note the volume. Later you see a period of reduced volume breathing. The question is why and what happened. I view that as a form of flow limited breathing. It could be mouth breathing on both sides of the cycle. The quest is did it result I. Either an arousal or desats?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,541 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Treatment] Help with interpreting OSCAR results 6bez8dF5lf 7 193 04-15-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: 6bez8dF5lf
  Need help interpreting the data Hopey 2 109 04-12-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Hopey
  Help interpreting my results (and hello!) mluck94 4 146 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: mluck94
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 198 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 644 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 201 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.