Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Is it normal to base treatment on 20min
RE: Is it normal to base treatment on 20min
Update, I met with the nurse practitioner yesterday and had many questions concerning my titration summary results. She was surprised that my technician even went from a fixed pressure to a bilevel test. She said that  normally when they find a good pressure result they leave it there and let you sleep comfortably  for the rest of the night. I pointed out the ipap 18 and epap 14 results had a .1 difference in AHI average , better avg SaO2, almost 3 times better arousal index number  and higher min SaO2 number. She explained that the insurance company will want me to do cpap before I move to a bilevel if it is necessary. I told her I wanted the airsense 10 autoset as Ive already stated I didnt want the base model cpap over the phone and in person to the DME guy. I and gave her my reasoning and she said she would write up a new prescription and send it in.  To be continued.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think if you can get the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, your will be fine. Let them know that is what you want.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I met up with my nurse practioner and she answered my questions for about 40 mins. I received the resmed  10 auto. I used it yesterday for the first time. My first experience with the sleep study on a mask was horrible.  I have experienced dry mouth in the past as Im a mouth breather. My mouth was dry, my lips were chapped and it felt like my mouth was full of sand. I requested a heated tube and cranked up the setting. I only had the machine on for 4 hr 25 min the first time using it. Is Insurance compliance based on number of hours asleep using the machine or just the time with the mask on?
Post Reply Post Reply
Compliancy is based with the number of hours with the machine turned on, no need to be asleep. You should aim to have the machine on whenever you are attempting to sleep compliancy then will not be an issue. We suggest using the machine whilst reading a book or watching TV to get used to the alien on your face
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2019, 01:10 PM)PrimeRib Wrote: I met up with my nurse practioner and she answered my questions for about 40 mins. I received the resmed  10 auto. I used it yesterday for the first time. My first experience with the sleep study on a mask was horrible.  I have experienced dry mouth in the past as Im a mouth breather. My mouth was dry, my lips were chapped and it felt like my mouth was full of sand. I requested a heated tube and cranked up the setting. I only had the machine on for 4 hr 25 min the first time using it. Is Insurance compliance based on number of hours asleep using the machine or just the time with the mask on?

Compliance in most insurance plans is defined as use for at least 4-hours per night for 70% of a 30 consecutive day compliance period (21 of 30 days). Patients have up to 90 days to pass or fail.

The solution for dry mouth and discomfort is not going to be increased humidity and heat. That may help a bit, but the answer is to address the actual problem which is mouth breathing.  There are a several ways to approach this including a soft cervical collar, chin-strap, taping and practice. Many "mouth breathers" actually find they can use a nasal therapy. Sounds surprising, but true.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will use machine while reading in bed to help me get my compliance hours. Does that time awake using the machine lower my Ahi index for that particular sleep session?
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, it could possibly raise your AHI. Unlike the rhythmic breathing pattern we experience while we are asleep, our breathing patterns while awake are very sporadic. You could easily forget to breathe over the 10 second time limit, thus creating an event and increasing your AHI.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 61 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 212 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 422 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 214 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 125 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 284 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 200 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.