Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] It's official - I have OSA!
Thumbsup 
It's official - I have OSA!
Evening all! I'm joining this board tonight as I prepare to...hopefully....change my life!

After years (for as long as I can remember, actually) of poor sleep, always feeling tired, my wife complaining about my snoring, I finally went for a sleep study last month. I had my follow up a few days ago, and was given a gold star - an AHI of 130.8, with Sa02 dropping down to 74. "Severe OSA with Severe sleep fragmentation."

I've done my research on equipment (including using this board - thanks!), and tomorrow will be picking up a new Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.

I'm anxious to know what it feels like to be rested.

Are any of you in the same boat (high AHI and treating with an Autoset)? Was it a good choice?

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: It's official - I have OSA!
Welcome
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations Jeff! er, I mean

Welcome

I have no idea what my pre-CPAP AHI was. It was about 11 some six years ago. By the time I went for treatment, I just wanted a machine not another study and delay. But it sure has made a difference in my life. I hope you find the relief you are looking for.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, JM.

That's a great choice of CPAP. There's a link at the top on the page where you can request the setup manual (clinician's manual) in order to review the settings and adjust them if and as needed.
We strongly encourage you to download SleepyHead (link at top of page) and/or get ResScan so that you can download your CPAP data and review it.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still rate-limited, so I'm going to respond to all of you at once.

(01-10-2017, 09:51 PM)justMongo Wrote: Welcome

Thanks, justMongo!

(01-10-2017, 09:51 PM)chill Wrote: Congratulations Jeff! er, I mean

Welcome

I have no idea what my pre-CPAP AHI was. It was about 11 some six years ago. By the time I went for treatment, I just wanted a machine not another study and delay. But it sure has made a difference in my life. I hope you find the relief you are looking for.

Thanks, chill! I hope so - while I won't be sure until I get my APAP home and plugged in (both to the wall and to me!), it seems like I'm suffering from 'all' of the side effects of this wonderful diagnosis. My pulmonologist sounded like an 1800s tonic salesman ('It'll cure your grays! You'll lose weight! You'll wake up refreshed! Your wife won't kick you until you turn over six times every night!') - I'm not an optimist by trade, but a little improvement would go such a long way.

(01-10-2017, 09:52 PM)Beej Wrote: Welcome, JM.

That's a great choice of CPAP. There's a link at the top on the page where you can request the setup manual (clinician's manual) in order to review the settings and adjust them if and as needed.
We strongly encourage you to download SleepyHead (link at top of page) and/or get ResScan so that you can download your CPAP data and review it.

Thanks for the suggestions, Beej! I've already installed SleepyHead (and myAir on my phone) in advance of my pickup, but I'll go ahead and request the manual as well. I'm a programmer - I can't *not* mess with default configurations.
Post Reply Post Reply
One of us! One of us!

Welcome. This forum has been a great help to me and I've learned a lot by trying to empower myself to take over my therapy and own the treatment and results.

I'm just at the start of my journey but already feel a lot less overwhelmed by all of it. Good luck with your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2017, 10:08 PM)jeffmackatron Wrote: Thanks for the suggestions, Beej! I've already installed SleepyHead (and myAir on my phone) in advance of my pickup, but I'll go ahead and request the manual as well. I'm a programmer - I can't *not* mess with default configurations.

You'll find that MyAir is an incredibly simplistic attempt to encourage compliance. You'll probably be much happier with SleepyHead and/or ResScan.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2017, 10:17 PM)Piggles Wrote: One of us! One of us!

Welcome. This forum has been a great help to me and I've learned a lot by trying to empower myself to take over my therapy and own the treatment and results.

I'm just at the start of my journey but already feel a lot less overwhelmed by all of it. Good luck with your therapy.

Piggles, I'm glad to hear that this forum is working for you. I generally ignore my health, so just doing the sleep study was sort of overwhelming for me. Best of luck as you work towards your goals as well!

(01-10-2017, 10:17 PM)Beej Wrote: You'll find that MyAir is an incredibly simplistic attempt to encourage compliance. You'll probably be much happier with SleepyHead and/or ResScan.

Thanks for the heads-up. My initial look (photos from the app store) seems to agree - I figured that MyAir would be a good way for me to get 'at a glance' data - but I know I'm going to want more!

Post Reply Post Reply
Great to see your enthusiasm for treatment. I hope all works well for you immediately. However, be prepared to persevere and take a bit of time to get it all working well if necessary.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2017, 10:53 PM)Darryl44 Wrote: Great to see your enthusiasm for treatment. I hope all works well for you immediately. However, be prepared to persevere and take a bit of time to get it all working well if necessary.

Darryl, I'd love to wake up in two or three days and feel....'better'. I'm not an optimist, though - I just hope to see small gains over time, and am willing to change things up (masks, PAP settings, when and how I sleep, whatever it takes at this point) to make this work.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Resmed Mask Official Packaging? Pomingo 4 800 07-17-2022, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [News] Aussie members - the official word on prescriptions and public health support. DeepBreathing 10 2,463 10-21-2020, 02:50 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  Advice on what to do next (likely UARS with no official diagnosis, waiting for CPAP) Username5102 4 2,790 05-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Well it's "official" SandysSpot 12 3,636 08-30-2014, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Simon M
  ResMed Official Channel zonk 1 2,310 11-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Last Post: JJJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.