Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Just Diagnosed/Few Questions on DME Meeting
Question 
Just Diagnosed/Few Questions on DME Meeting
Hi, I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea.  I was told it was mild (7 times per hour) after doing a take home test.  From how crappy I usually feel I thought it would be much higher. 

A little background on me.  I've slept bad since high school, now in my mid 30s.  I was always told my sleep problems were most likely from stress and given things like ambien (which was basically like taking a roofie for me that made me feel terrible the next day) or told to cut out TV and cell phone hours before bed but nothing seemed to work.  I didn't have any classic apnea symptoms.  I don't snore and I don't sleep long.  My main issue is frequently waking up and not being able to go back to sleep no matter how tired, or how little sleep I get. In my 20s I became very sensitive to caffeine and anything that had a stimulant response, even taking it in the morning would affect my sleep so I've had to cut out a lot of drinks/foods along the way.  I haven't even been able to take a nap in years no matter how tired I was which I always found strange.  I don't know if it's just my bodies natural response in fighting sleep because it goes through this stress every night?  

But anyway, I am going to meet with the DME on Thursday and was looking for advice on how to approach this meeting.  Reading quickly through some of these threads I see I shouldn't take whatever machine they offer me.  Does anyone have any recommendations on machines, masks, anything really that you didn't know when you went through the process but wish you did?  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just Diagnosed/Few Questions on DME Meeting
On machines GET the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. It is the same billing code (insurance) as a low end brick CPAP. Just ask them when can you pickup my AutoSet
You have mild apnea which means things like flow limits may be bothering you but those will not show on the sleep test.

On masks, read the mask primer. Try masks under pressure, relaxed, and in sleeping position. Try nasal pillows, nasal masks and full face masks. All of our faces are different So our masks that work great for us may or may not work for you. Ask about the mask exchange policy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2019, 12:00 PM)bonjour Wrote: On machines GET the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.  It is the same billing code (insurance) as a low end brick CPAP.  Just ask them when can you pickup my AutoSet
You have mild apnea which means things like flow limits may be bothering you but those will not show on the sleep test.

On masks, read the mask primer.  Try masks under pressure, relaxed, and in sleeping position.  Try nasal pillows, nasal masks and full face masks.  All of our faces are different So our masks that work great for us may or may not work for you.  Ask about the mask exchange policy.

awesome thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
One nice thing about starting therapy for apnea is that you will be able to review a lot of data by using the Oscar software and the SD card in your machine. This might even provide some additional insight into your frequent wake-ups.

Every word counts in the name of the machine Bonjour has recommended, so be sure to use the full name. And good luck trialing masks. Do you generally breathe through your nose during the day? If so, a nasal mask or nasal-pillow mask might work well for you. If not, try full-face masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Start with your doctor, and be sure that he/she writes on the prescription "ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet". This way, the DME cant give you something else.
Also, get a copy of your prescription. You may need it later to order stuff online.

If you had a sleep study, ask for a copy of that too, not just the summary, you want the entire report. These are your medical records, and you have a right to them.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2019, 12:07 PM)Dormeo Wrote: One nice thing about starting therapy for apnea is that you will be able to review a lot of data by using the Oscar software and the SD card in your machine.  This might even provide some additional insight into your frequent wake-ups.

Every word counts in the name of the machine Bonjour has recommended, so be sure to use the full name.  And good luck trialing masks.  Do you generally breathe through your nose during the day?  If so, a nasal mask or nasal-pillow mask might work well for you.  If not, try full-face masks.

I definitely breathe more through my nose.  I'm just not sure if I switch at all when I sleep?  Especially during allergy season.

(12-24-2019, 12:13 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Start with your doctor, and be sure that he/she writes on the prescription "ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet".  This way, the DME cant give you something else.  
Also, get a copy of your prescription.  You may need it later to order stuff online.

If you had a sleep study, ask for a copy of that too, not just the summary, you want the entire report.  These are your medical records, and you have a right to them.
Great thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to be armed with some model numbers because a DME can tell you anything and you won’t know.

For Resmed Airsense 10 here are the models...

1) Airsense 10 CPAP - Model 37204 - Will have the name CPAP on the front. Do not accept this machine as it will not give you any data. It is a brick.

2) Airsense 10 Elite - Model 37206 - Will have the name Elite on the front. If you are forced to get a straight pressure CPAP machine get this one.

4) Airsense 10 Autoset - Model 37208 - Will have Autoset on the front. This is the one you want.

Note: 37203 is the same as 37204 without ClimateLineAir.
37205 same as 37206 without... 37207 same as 37208 without ClimateLineAir.

Hopefully someone will correct this if there are any errors. And maybe someone knows the Repironics machines to get just in case.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is one more piece of info that the DME pulled on me.

An APAP (Autoset) can run as a straight pressure CPAP.

If the DME says that you have to take a CPAP because your doctor didn’t specify a pressure range, tell them to set it up as CPAP mode.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2019, 12:39 PM)70sSanO Wrote: Here is one more piece of info that the DME pulled on me.

An APAP (Autoset) can run as a straight pressure CPAP.

If the DME says that you have to take a CPAP because your doctor didn’t specify a pressure range, tell them to set it up as CPAP mode.

John

Thanks for the info.  Good to hear the DME's have your best interest at heart lol
Post Reply Post Reply
“I definitely breathe more through my nose. I'm just not sure if I switch at all when I sleep? Especially during allergy season.”.

Sounds like you could try a nasal mask or nasal pillows. Some people keep a full-face mask as a back-up for colds and allergy season.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 313 1 hour ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 148 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 53 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 381 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.