Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Just Diagnosed, getting my CPAP next week
Just Diagnosed, getting my CPAP next week
35, male, 5'10", 160 lbs. Diagnosed with ADHD at age 9, diagnosed with sleep apnea last week.

My diagnosis came as a shock. I had longstanding sleep issues that I had just learned to manage: excessive daytime sleepiness, occasional insomnia, attention/focus issues, sleep paralysis, cataplexy, forgetfulness. Then I was hit with an onslaught of new symptoms earlier this year: unrelenting insomnia, intolerance to caffeine, palpitations, HR spikes, chest pains, ED. Though the new symptoms have since relented somewhat, I got my heart checked out and I was given the same diagnosis by two doctors: you're just stressed! And so they did what any doctor does when they're flummoxed: meds. Vitamin V for the ED and Zoloft for the stress, and get off the ADHD meds.

Well, the pills worked as well as they could have, the ED went away on its own, and the Zoloft, while definitely making me happier, also made me flaky and scatterbrained above and beyond the normal ADHD (losing the Ritalin certainly didn't help either). I tried a few non-stimulant ADHD meds with my psychiatrist but nothing really clicked.

Not sure what I was expecting when I set up an appointment with a neurologist, but given my age, build, and level of exercise, I really didn't think anything would come out of a sleep study. I guess went along because I was hoping for yet another pill to make the sleepiness go away. In any case she ordered a PSG and MSLT, and the sleep apnea was so painfully obvious (AHI of 36.6!) that they canceled the MSLT.

I've got an appointment set up next week to get my CPAP. Still coping with the idea of sleeping with a mask for the rest of my life; I am currently in the denial (I was congested the night of the test! I just need an antihistamine!) and bargaining (contacting an ENT to discuss surgery) phases of acceptance.

But the denial is quickly fading: after turning my FitBit on sensitive, I discovered I'm only getting 3-4 hours of sleep per night; consistent with the 50% sleep quality finding on my PSG.

Trying to find comfort in knowing that relief -- for sleep problems and perhaps even ADHD -- is around the corner.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just Diagnosed, getting my CPAP next week
Hi bernerbits,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you start your CPAP journey.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bernerbits, WELCOME! to the forum.

OMG! Is there anything you don't have?

Only joking.

Good luck with the CPAP and I hope you get some good sleep.
The journey is not always straight sailing with CPAP though.
There are a few problems at the start with most people, so if you have any problems just pop back and ask the question.
There is no such thing as a stupid question.
Post Reply Post Reply
Relax. The dangerous part is over which is not being diagnosed.

Make sure they give you a data capable AUTO cpap machine. They get paid the same but will try to stick you with a single pressure cpap brick machine.

Some folks take to cpap like a duck to water. I did. But i was used to wearing SCBA and masks, so masks didnt bother me.
Wife not so much but after trying several she uses a ESON with a chin strap.

Just a matter of getting used to it. Might as well understand going in that DMEs and Sleepdocs are of little use other than enanling you to get the equipment.
Download sleepyhead, learn to set your own machine, and avoid alot of aggrivation.

The alternative is heart attacks, strokes depression, brain damage, and some other nasties.
Hang around here you will pick up info quick.

Welcome to the hose head ho down LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: The journey is not always straight sailing with CPAP though.
There are a few problems at the start with most people, so if you have any problems just pop back and ask the question.

Yes, google tells me that a lot of people HATE their cpap, and the medical industry's only response is "tough cookies, you have to wear it."

Quote: Make sure they give you a data capable AUTO cpap machine. They get paid the same but will try to stick you with a single pressure cpap brick machine.

This is what she ordered (one of the perks of working for a hospital, you get access to your own charts):

E0601 (CPAP): CPAP auto 4-16 cmH20 with CFLEX 3, a heated humidifier, an AHI recorder and a download in one month. A mask fit to the patient's comfort.

So looks like maybe data capable, and definitely auto is what she ordered.

DMEs? Sleepdocs? I realize being on a forum means learning the inside lingo, but hopefully you have a cheat sheet?
Post Reply Post Reply
DME = Durable Medical Equipment aka the company that actually gives you the machine
SleepDocs = Physicians specialized in Sleep Medicine usually along with something else.

That looks like a Philips Respironics machine, hopefully a DreamStation. Make sure it is a Pro model.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, bernerbits. Welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to Definitions & Glossary - Sleep Apnea and CPAP Terms

Best of luck with your new journey.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome aboard. It's a journey and there is quite a learning curve, but worth it if you stick with it. Learn all you can. I learned so much about it I ended up writing my own prescription that my doc just rubber stamped. He realized I knew more than he did and was smart enough to let me run with it. If I had just followed the guidance of the sleep lab, I'd still be suffering and probably would have given up. Empower yourself by learning everything you can. This is a great place to start.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got a DreamStation Auto yesterday and plugged the data into SleepyHead from last night. AHI 9, down from 36 in the sleep study.

OK, I can't post links or upload images but it's:

http (colon-slash-slash) i (dot) imgur (dot) com (slash) shzLVNl (dot) png
Post Reply Post Reply
Allow me:

[Image: shzLVNl.png]

My first thought is Wow, that is a lot of centrals (see the CA events)! Were you sleeping at that time? Keep an eye on these. This might just be your mind and body getting used to this, but it also might indicate other problems and that this is not the right machine for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 505 10 hours ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 399 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 60 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 108 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 389 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 205 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.