Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Just done SPO2 measurement. Advice on next step
Firstly, this is my first post so a quick hello from me. I think I may be coming here a bit from the results of a DIY SPO2 study I did last night .

Secondly, the meat of the post, I'm now trying to digest the implications of the results (I used a CMS50E pulse oximeter bought for the purpose). I've ordered a home sleep test with a pulse oximeter, airflow breathing and written report to confirm my findings and give me something to take my doctor if I need a sleep study. However, I may have to wait a time for the results, so, in the mean time, can someone please advise me on how serious my results are and what I can expect next?

As background, I've suffered increasingly from excessive daytime sleepiness and the odd restless leg since I started to suffer from depression a few years ago (I'm in my late fifties now). Until now I thought that the excessive sleepiness was due to my depression, or what's left of it, because I don't see myself as an Apnea sufferer - I may snore and a relatively large neck (my neck measurement is an inch bigger than that of off-the-shelf shirts for my body size) but I'm not overweight, I'm relatively fit and my wife tells me that I seem to breathe OK in my sleep.

Although the sensor fell off my finger for a time during the night, I think I have sufficient data to say that I've got a problem. The results of my study are summarized below (I'll add a link to the report when I've built up 8 posts):
SpO2 Data
Analysis Parameters: drop in SpO2 by at least 4% for a minimum duration of 10 second
Adjusted Index (1/hr) 25.8
Basal SpO2 (%) 94.4
Time (min) < 88% 1.0
Events < 88% 12
Minimum SpO2 (%) 82
Avg. Low SpO2 (%) 91.0
Avg. Low SpO2 < 88% 86.3
Pulse Data
Analysis Parameters: change in rate by at least 6 bpm for a minimum duration of 8 seconds.
Adjusted Index (1/hr) 40.7
Avg Pulse Rate (bpm) 95.4
Low Pulse Rate (bpm) 72

Thanks in advance for any help.
08-08-2015 06:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Just done SPO2 measurement. Advice on next step
You can add an attachment.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-How-to-Attachments

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-08-2015 08:03 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Well, it dipped to 82% which is below the threshold. And your average minimum was 86, also below the threshold.

There's more to sleep apnea than snoring and making choking sounds.

There's hypopneas: that's where the airway is narrowed but not closed all the way. Oxygen level drops but breathing continues. There usually is snoring but won't be any choking/gasping.

There's central apnea: that's where the brain gets its chemistry confused and tells the body "there's no need to breathe right now so just chill out for a while". There's no snoring, no choking, no struggling. And there's no breathing. Oxygen level drops there, too.

And there's obstructive apnea where the airway closes all the way and breathing stops. Oxygen level drops of course. There is sometimes choking sounds. There is no snoring since there's no airflow. The brain is trying to wake the body so there will be jerking of the limbs, the chest will be moving in an attempt to suck in air, etc. But this could happen in mere seconds before you "wake" just enough to open the airway and start breathing again. There usually is a gasping as the airway is opened. It depends on how desperate the body was and how long it lasted.

A person does not need to be obese to have sleep apnea. Skinny people get it too. Neck size works if the diagnosis is obstructive sleep apnea. That's because there's all that tissue the airway has to support when it all relaxes as you sleep.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-08-2015 08:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi ThrownOutTheAsylum,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

trish6hundred
08-08-2015 08:45 PM
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

Sex: Male

Hi Thrown! Welcome.

Your pulse rate indicates to me that you have highly wavering pulse through the night, quite probably reacting to either hypopnea or apnea. That, coupled with excursions of SpO2 (or saturation of oxygen) under 90%, do suggest some form of treatment is necessary/valuable.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
08-10-2015 02:59 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] Advice on transitioning from pillows to FFM? Strat0caster 8 99 Today 10:58 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  ADVICE ON THIS DATA Gazz 3 241 11-21-2016 11:13 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  new user wants advice Gazz 3 220 11-19-2016 11:06 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Advice needed for struggling CPAP user Fubblin 35 1,945 11-18-2016 07:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need full face mask advice Bob32256 11 577 11-12-2016 05:29 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Looking for advice on new machine, good for travel - and adapting to life without PAP Hazel 8 471 11-08-2016 05:59 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
Cool [Pressure] RESMED S9 advice Scuderia1 5 321 10-31-2016 01:37 PM
Last Post: justMongo