Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Long Time to Get Prescription for Machine
RE: Long Time to Get Prescription for Machine
Update:  Insurance has approved another in-center sleep study and I'm booked for next Wednesday night.  This is moving more quickly than before.

Tips for the next study?  I know I'd like to (1) actually sleep and (2) try out a few different masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
1.  Make sure the tech knows why your back having a 3rd study.  
2.  Make sure they start the titration at the higher pressure.  (tell them you up to 15 cmH2O at the end of the last study)
3.  Mention the possible need for bipap.  
4.  Ask if they have any other masks available to try.

don't assume they know everything about you already...
Post Reply Post Reply
Vesimir, if you have DME's in network, try calling them and finding out what 50% will cost you? It might still be cheaper to get a bipap via Amazon instead of through insurance. Don't let them give you crap about having to have a doctor's script before they can talk to you. They know what the insurance contract is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick update:  Had my second sleep study last night.  It felt just like the first one to me and I don't think I got much sleep, though I do think the CPAP made a difference in how I feel.  The tech was a bit vague about how things went, but I don't think he ever switched over to bipap since, according to him, my apnea was not severe last night.  So maybe that's good news after all... who knows.  I'm now waiting for the test results (won't have them until next week), but I'm guessing the doctor ends up prescribing an auto CPAP.  If so, obviously I'll make sure I end up with a data capable device.  

Thanks again for all the great advice.   I'll update again when I get results.  Looking forward to finally dealing with a DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I figured I'd see if I could find a good deal on an Airsense 10 Autoset since I now think that is what will ultimately be prescribed to me.  I found someone local selling what they claim is a brand new Airsense 10 Autoset.  The price is good, but I can't seem to confirm the model is correct based on the pictures they sent (not sure if that's intentional or not).  Can you determine what model this is from these pics? Otherwise, I'll probably just go check it out before buying.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the area you need to see:
[Image: ResMed-AirSense-10.png]
[should say "AutoSet, AutoSet for Her, Elite or CPAP"]

A quick explanation:
Anything with "Autoset" = Excellent (P/N: 37207 & 37209)
Elite = Good but single pressure (P/N: 37205)
If it says, "CPAP" stay away (P/N: 37203)

Also, ask for the total run hours.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ask for a photo of the machine showing the full name at bottom of machine as shown above.
I have a feeling this may not be an autoset.

They sent you a picture of the manual, why not the actual machine?

Also, try to verify it came from a smoke free environment.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  I've asked for the model name as shown above.  Reportedly, the machine was never used.  Some definite red flags here given the pictures they provided.  If it turns out to be an Autoset, I'll have the opportunity to see it before forking over any money.  Good point on the smoke-free environment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems legit to me from pictures below.  I'll figure out how to confirm it has no/low hours.  They're asking for $300, which is better than current Amazon's price of $460.
Commercial Link Removed.

[Image: n6sVkdt.jpg]
[Image: 2D0SV9T.jpg]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Oops. Sorry about that commercial link.

I picked up the Airsense 10 Autoset last night. Machine shows 3 run hours and is in great shape. Seller also included P10 Nasal Pillow w/ headgear, so I may hook it all up and use it for the first time tonight. As for pressure settings, I am thinking about min 8, max 20 based on doctor's recommendation from my first in-center sleep study. Any reason to just set it 4 to 20? (I may be wasting my time w/ the nasal pillow since I suspect I may be a mouth breather).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 215 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,446 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 120 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 622 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 245 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 174 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 810 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.