Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] MSLT(multiple sleep latency test) then & now
MSLT(multiple sleep latency test) then & now
The way I understand it, this test is to determine the cause/s of your daytime sleepiness as well as a test for "Narcolepsy". A positive result for which will get you access to "Modafinil" or "Dex amphetamine, both free on the PBS.
My first experience of this test was early in 2000 & it was an uninspiring process. Having completed the "Epworth Sleepiness Test" at around 1100hrs I got into bed in a darkened room & instructed to go to sleep. Thereafter they would wake me every 20 mins to see if I could get back to sleep again. This process was repeated 5 times. Unsurprisingly the result for me was negative.

!4 years later: Before an MSLT can be undertaken, the patient first must have a full PSG the night before to establish the quality of sleep the patient enjoyed the previous night. After completing a questionnaire, enduring a spirometry, & a test for nasal restriction, the patient enters the sleep lab. The following morning after breakfast etc. the patient returns to bed, only this time most of the sensors from the PSG are left attached so when sleep occurs, they know. Having satisfied the requirement that valid sleep has occurred, the patient is woken. The next session would be in 2 hrs time & the patient is warned of its approach 10 mins before. At the appropriate time, the testing equipment is re-calibrated and the patient told to sleep.
This whole process is repeated 4 more times, the results collated & sent to your sleep doc.
Preparation of results must be a complicated affair because a week later my doc has not yet received them
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: MSLT(multiple sleep latency test) then & now
Results of this test: MSLT sleep time = 8mins. Doc says this result means I'm really sleepy during the day, (could have told him that) but not narcoleptic. It is good new for I feared I might lose my drivers license which for me would border on catastrophic. Government regulations state that the patient must sleep for a minimum of 6 hours the night before the test, my test was ruled invalid having slept only 5 hours. Consequently in my case, doc is not permitted to prescribe "Modafinil" - Struth!
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 77 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 130 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 208 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 205 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 873 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 861 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.