Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Machine interpretations of events flawed?
Machine interpretations of events flawed?
I've been looking at some of the events over the last several months and wondering how/why the machine flags some things and not other things.
I realize that some of these have "time" criteria (e.g. 10 seconds), or amplitude criteria, etc.  It seems to me that the machine can flag and "fix" obvious events, but some of the other things either should be events that are "fixed" by pressure pulse or increased pressure, or are not events at all and should not be counted as such in the stats.

Looking at last night's data I see some confusing stuff, maybe one of the experts on board here can help me understand. Am I missing something?

-- Image 2 & 4 - The CA#001 and OA#003 flow rates look basically the same, the machine initiated a pressure pulse for the CA like it was supposed to, but since it interpreted the other waveform as an OA it didn't initiate one.

-- Image 3 - Flow rate doesn't really look like anything other than slightly irregular breathing at the OA point (should it be FL?) and the FL looks like normal breathing.

-- Image 5 - What is this? Just irregular breathing? The first jiggly part of the flow rate wave is flagged as VS2, the second jiggly part - nothing.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine interpretations of events flawed?
Looks like the images got corrupted somehow...and I can't edit it or delete it for correction.

Post edited...Moderator

I've been looking at some of the events over the last several months and wondering how/why the machine flags some things and not other things.
I realize that some of these have "time" criteria (e.g. 10 seconds), or amplitude criteria, etc.  It seems to me that the machine can flag and "fix" obvious events, but some of the other things either should be events that are "fixed" by pressure pulse or increased pressure, or are not events at all and should not be counted as such in the stats.

Looking at last night's data I see some confusing stuff, maybe one of the experts on board here can help me understand. Am I missing something?

-- Image 2 & 4 - The CA#001 and OA#003 flow rates look basically the same, the machine initiated a pressure pulse for the CA like it was supposed to, but since it interpreted the other waveform as an OA it didn't initiate one.

-- Image 3 - Flow rate doesn't really look like anything other than slightly irregular breathing at the OA point (should it be FL?) and the FL looks like normal breathing.

-- Image 5 - What is this? Just irregular breathing? The first jiggly part of the flow rate wave is flagged as VS2, the second jiggly part - nothing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Image 2: CA#001
[attachment=6897]

Image 4: OA#003
[attachment=6898]

Image 3: FL#006 & OA#002
[attachment=6899]

Image 5: Not Flagged
[attachment=6900]
Post Reply Post Reply
Most of your examples show moderate flow limitation. I agree that the OA flagged in image #3 is incorrect.

You need more minimum pressure, and if you had a Resmed, i would increase EPR. Flex is less reliable, but I would turn that on and set it to 1. This much flow limitation would respond nicely to pressure support, but since we have a Philips, well, it is what it is. I would change pressure to 9.0 to 14 Flex at 1, or possibly 9.5-14.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it is best to view event flags as just definitions that correlate with breathing. No definition is perfect. The trend is what's important. Every event is calculated based on the prescribed criteria but that does not necessarily mean that all events are equivalent.
The nice thing about sleepyhead is that you can see every breath and assess whether it looks like "a series struggle for air and sleep" or "just a cough and roll-over".
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2018, 09:41 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Most of your examples show moderate flow limitation. I agree that the OA flagged in image #3 is incorrect.

You need more minimum pressure, and if you had a Resmed, i would increase EPR. Flex is less reliable, but I would turn that on and set it to 1.  This much flow limitation would respond nicely to pressure support, but since we have a Philips, well, it is what it is. I would change pressure to 9.0 to 14 Flex at 1, or possibly 9.5-14.

Thanks Sleeprider,

I've been working my way up with the min pressure and down with the max.  Started at standard prescription setting of 4 - 20. It's been at 8.5 - 14 for 21 days now.  Flex has been at 1 for quite awhile, 0, 2, & 3 just didn't work for me at all.  90% pressure has been around 10 - 10.2 for the last month or more.  Max pressure hasn't been above 14 ever, so I'll keep it dialed in there, min is moving up to 9.0 tonight.

I appreciate the help!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,285 Yesterday, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,274 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Are any of these events real? BigWing 6 192 04-09-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 201 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Excessive Events jerrydaw 1 109 04-06-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Help to interpret "Events per Hour" data Fritz1255 1 150 03-30-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,549 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.