Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Massive bradypneas, scared
Massive bradypneas, scared
Hi guys,

This morning after checking my CPAP results, I found out that I have been doing massive bradypneas from 3:30am to 4:30am.

I have been drinking quite a lot to be honest on saturday and sunday though, as well as Vodka Redbull... I had a panic attack this morning after waking up, and since then I am in bed.

Here is my screenshot, it does not look like a bug since there is no mask leak. I am really scared. In 6 months of CPAP use, that is the first time I am having breathing not detected > 0%. I never even had 0.1% before ! Just 0%, and suddenly 16%...

Any recommendations except definitely cutting off alcohol (Which I will do) ? Do you think I was actually using the mouth ?

Thank you guys, I am really scared... Any advise/comments will be much appreciated.

Thibault
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Massive bradypneas, scared
I think you are on to something with the breathing through the mouth, possibly caused by the alcohol consumption. You were probably sleeping in a position that allowed the airflow from the machine to be severely restricted or blocked which prevented the machine from detecting breathing, leaks or anything else related to airflow. I don’t think it’s possible to not breath for the period of time indicated on your chart and then pick right back up like nothing happened.

I think you’re headed in the right direction in limiting your alcohol consumption. Making sure you can’t tangle or crush the hose would also be a good idea.

It’s my understanding the breathing not detected feature is more to alert you to the possibility the data is suspect than indicating you actually weren’t breathing.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Mitch! 
However when i take a deeper look at the graph, I wonder if it just me who was actually almost not breathing, because of the attached screenshot.
Take a look at the flow rate: it was almost null, then it resumes correctly. What do you think?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would agree with MitchS. Even viewing the zoomed in activity, IMO nobody could go through approximately an hour's time of being close to not breathing then resume a normal rate as if nothing happened. Another IMO, somehow the ability to record accurate data was hindered, such as again indicated by MitchS. Mouth breathing or the hose crimping he mentioned come to mind. Not saying something regarding your breathing rate did not happen in that hour's time, I just do not see how the situation was actually as was indicated in the chart.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have seen Philips machines report nearly entire nights of BND (breathing not detected), and am yet to see a good reason for it. I is sometimes seen as data gaps. Reading useful information into periods that are essentially not reported is futile. What I see is the tidal volume of a little girl, and in the flow rate close-up some pretty disturbed breathing where the machine has no clue where the zero line should be between trigger and cycle. I actually find a lot of this data hard to believe or consider credible.

Did you ever get a copy of your sleep study? It would be interesting to see what it shows.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2018, 08:08 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have seen Philips machines report nearly entire nights of BND (breathing not detected), and am yet to see a good reason for it.  I is sometimes seen as data gaps.  Reading useful information into periods that are essentially not reported is futile.  What I see is the tidal volume of a little girl, and in the flow rate close-up some pretty disturbed breathing where the machine has no clue where the zero line should be between trigger and cycle.  I actually find a lot of this data hard to believe or consider credible.

Did you ever get a copy of your sleep study?  It would be interesting to see what it shows.

That is the first time i get this kind of chart, and as I said I have been drinking excessively.

I am very scared because I wonder if I probably got alcohol poisoning and hypothermia while sleeping.

I don't want to look crazy but I think I almost died yesterday in my sleep !

Attached the highlight of my sleep study. I can send the detailed one over email because it is a PDF. What do you think?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I took a look at the sleep study and it shows your AHI is entirely dominated by hypopnea with just a few OA and only one mixed event and no CA. Your total AHI was 10.4 over 575 minutes of sleep (9.6 hours) nearly which is considered mild. The report based determination of hypopnea on SpO2 desaturation > 4%, so you did experience a large number of oxygen desaturations, but the minimum was 87% and only for 7-seconds and a total of 2.4 minutes at under 90%. You seem to go to sleep fast, and experience very few arousals, no limb movements and you stay asleep for a longer time than almost any test I have seen. The test is silent about tidal volume, resp rate and other metrics, but your heart rate seems high at 103.6 BPM, but the data appears questionable.

Your sleep test shows mild obstructive sleep apnea with primarily hypopnea events. Your treated AHI with CPAP is generally under 2 AHI, but has been consistently less than 5. I don't know about any other conditions or your general health and weight and those factors may be important...that's why you have a doctor. For a young man, you have a surprisingly low tidal volume recorded on your machine, and that seems consistent in previous posted charts and is not unique to last night. A simple pulmonary function test could provide some insight, but otherwise the CPAP data is not something we rely on for diagnostics or as an indication of underlying problems. I think the above chart simply has a common data error we see with Philips machines, and this is not something that should alarm or worry you.

Based on what I'm seeing in this thread, and reviewing your history, I think you experienced an anxiety attack, not a severe sleep apnea episode. You have a mild condition, and seem to be adequately treated with CPAP. I think you may be more comfortable with a machine that provides more of difference in inhale and exhale pressure, and it may even reduce your hypopnea events, but based on this history and your relatively good results, this is going to be a difficult case to make medically.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2018, 08:13 AM)thibaulthib Wrote: That is the first time i get this kind of chart, and as I said I have been drinking excessively.

I am very scared because I wonder if I probably got alcohol poisoning and hypothermia while sleeping.

So the obvious thing is to stop the excessive drinking. I admit that might not be easy of course. Still, apnea and alcohol do not mix well - alcohol depresses breathing for hours. Maybe you can use your fear to help you stop drinking so much?

I do think, however, that it was more likely a machine malfunction.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry it took so long to get back with you, thibaulthib. I've been at work and just now got a chance to reply. It looks like you've had all of your questions answered by other members. I agree with what the other members told you. It would probably be best if you try not to worry. I think you will find the issue works it's self out. If not, it may be best to get your sleep doctor involved.

Sleep well, Mitch.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your answers, really appreciate it.

However, I just found out that on saturday night, I also had a bit of BND, as per attached. Since I have been drinking a lot on saturday and sunday night, it correlates with the shallow breathing.

I have checked every single day since I am using the CPAP, and have never got BND, except on this saturday and sunday. And this is the only weekend I have been drinking like crazy so... I am very scared.

Please find attached the screenshot for statuday, with a close up during the BND. 

Do you think it is technically "possible" to sleep AND survive with that shallow breath?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 236 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 306 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Massive O2 saturation drop last night... SufiMindtricks 8 913 09-26-2022, 01:33 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  [Symptoms] I'm scared. Am I at risk of death? Or is my pulse oximeter acting up? 444stranger444 5 865 08-04-2022, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Complex Apnea Diagnosis--VERY SCARED ColdHands 11 1,340 10-22-2021, 06:50 PM
Last Post: readingteacher
  i just had a massive battle in s9 autoset last night kaywai 7 950 02-22-2021, 12:13 PM
Last Post: kaywai
  Just got diagnosed, a bit scared, how bad is it? SufiMindtricks 14 1,638 01-06-2021, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.