Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Mild sleep disordered breathing
RE: Mild sleep disordered breathing
Ok. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2020, 04:38 PM)Gary. Wrote: Thank you Sleeprider!! I intend to get the Oscar software when I get set up with the machine. Would you recommend the Resmed 10 Autoset machine over either the Dreamstation BiPAP Pro (DSx600) or the Dreamstation BiPAP Auto (DSx700)? 
Also, I tried to find the answer to this question in the Masks primer but I didn't see it..can you use a Resmed machine with a Phillips dreamwear mask? Or do the masks only work with the machine that each company makes? F rom looking online it would seem the Dreamwear might be a good option just because the tube is on the top of the head so out of the way which might make things a bit easier. And seems light or minimalist, but I may be jumping the gun on that.

Thanks again for the help!
Gary

In this post you compare the Airsense 10 Autoset to Dreamstation fixed and auto BiPAP. The appropriate comparison is the Resmed Aircurve 10 VPAP-S or Vauto. Again Resmed wins, and I even gave away my Respironics BiPAP Auto. The Aircurve bilevel machines work the same as the Airsense CPAP with respect to providing pressure adjustment and pressure support (EPR). Inhale pressure is referred to as IPAP and exhale EPAP. The Airsense 10 offers up to 3-cm difference between IPAP and EPAP, and if greater pressure support is needed you need to move to Aircurve 10. The Resmed CPAP is unique that it provides this bilevel pressure support up to 3-cm as EPR. The dreamstation CPAPs offer "AFlex or CFlex" and it is not delivered like bilevel pressure. If you can afford the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto it has advantages beyond pressure support over the Airsense 10, and we can go into that if necessary.

Masks are interchangeable between manufacturers, so you can use a Philips mask with a Resmed macheine and vice versa. While he attachment of the tube at the top of your head seems like a good idea, the major complaint on that mask is the sound of air and sometimes inconsistent delivery of pressure through the hollow tubes that are integral to the headgear. To allow things to move freely, I suspend the tube from the headboard using a lanyard, but there are tube suspension systems like the "Hose Buddy" that keep the hose out of the way. I also really recommend one of the inexpensive fleece CPAP tube covers. Really quiets things down and makes it more comfortable and less medicinal
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Gary, at-home sleep studies offer a snapshot of what your sleep apnea may be. They have some difficulty accurately detecting sleep, and that can dilute the findings with wake-time. Your sleep study bases AHI on the presence of an oxygen desaturation equal or greater than 4%. That is fairly standard, but also misses many events that are disruptive to sleep from respiratory effort related arousal (RERA) that are from less severe airway obstruction

The WatchPAT study that he had is capable of detecting RERAs with relatively good accuracy.
Post Reply Post Reply
So turns out I didn't have to push much for CPAP treatment as the doctor suggested we treat it with an Auto machine right away set at 5-10 pressure w/ a pillow or nasal type mask.
I did request the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet which she was fine with. Now on to dealing w/the med supply company..
Post Reply Post Reply
Gary - Just make sure the script is written in such a manner that the DME can not deviate from supplying a Resmed Autoset.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO a good way to get accomplished what Crimson Nape mentions on blocking the substitution is to get the Doc to write the machine name ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet and the other items like heated hose if applicable on the script. And on the same script "Dispense As Written".
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2020, 01:55 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: IMO a good way to get accomplished what Crimson Nape mentions on blocking the substitution is to get the Doc to write the machine name ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet and the other items like heated hose if applicable on the script. And on the same script "Dispense As Written".

Agreed.

And keep yourself in the frame of mind that each DME is of your choosing.  If a DME says "this is all we can give you", or "this is what we have", or "you have no choice; you have to accept this"... you are free to walk away and find a different DME.

My first DME felt like I was buying a car (with the paperwork situation, and the promise that I would be on the hook for soooooo much money, etc.) AND they would only give me what they wanted to give me AND they would only explain what they wanted to explain.  After a month, I gave my machine back to them because I hated them so much because they wouldn't work with me at all nor would they dispense what I wanted dispensed even though my Rx allowed for it.  They tried to protest me giving my machine back to them, but I said "It's a rental, right?  Well, I no longer want to rent it." Buh-bye.

I found a different DME that listened to me, understood what I wanted (a @%!&%# heated hose and an auto cpap), and gladly provided it. 

Just remember - you are in the driver's seat.  You do not have to accept anything you do not want. There are thousands of DMEs to choose from.
Post Reply Post Reply
like Yes do this.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep. I was armed to the teeth w/info from the forum..so I made sure I mentioned over and over that I need to ensure they have that specific machine and not a ‘similar one or one like it etc etc’. So after 6 hours of dealing with the first vendor they came back with ‘we don’t work w/your specific insurance company anymore. I said that must be as of about an hour ago since that’s when I last spoke w/my insurance and they said that u do indeed work with them and gave a contract in place with them. Insurance company actually called them with me on the line and said the same thing to them...’u guys have a contract in place’ - and their answer was well we don’t make enough on some devices to ‘cover our costs so we choose not to work with this patient’ 

So I’m now working with a different vendor that accepts my insurance and so far seems much nicer and mentioned that the resmed auto 10 is her favorite machine and uses it herself’....I’m not putting my guard down though till I make sure I get that exact machine and not used either or with no hours on it 
Thank you all !
Post Reply Post Reply
like Keep at it. Do not blink or the DME will try to slip another machine in. You had them off guard on the dropping coverages an hour ago. HA HA. Just don't dope slap them too hard. I could visit you in jail but the lockdown may prevent that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,541 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 284 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 349 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 355 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 221 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 199 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 578 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.