Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
RE: CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
(05-13-2020, 09:44 PM)KallyA Wrote: I know it's a bit late to add to this discussion after 58 messages, but I participated in a Q and A class today concerning COVID-19 and came away with a different view about using oxygen at home for this virus. My professor (a medical doctor) indicated you should be using a pulse oximeter to see what is happening to your oxygen levels if you believe you have contracted the virus. This is primary because your oxygen may drop significantly before you feel any symptoms with this disease. If it drops significantly (from  98 to 92, for instance), do not hesitate to seek medical help. Do not try to use oxygen at home if there is any way you can get medical attention. The reason is that this is an indicator that your lungs are already becoming too compromised to be able to take in the added oxygen. This is due to blood thickening and other changes that occur in the lungs with this disease. His statement was "you don't have time to take a try it and see, approach...you can be dead in two days." So please if you think you have COVID-19, do consider the options in this forum only if YOU KNOW YOUR OXYGEN LEVEL IS STILL NORMAL (FOR YOU), CERTAINLY NOT BELOW 92, AND ONLY IF THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO MEDICAL PERSONNEL AVAILABLE FOR YOU. You do not need a prescription for a fingertip pulse oximeter. You can find a decent one on Amazon for $30-40 or less.

See my post on 24 April, in the thread titled 'Does anyone use pulse oximeter?' It is post #9 and describes the 'silent hypoxia' phenomenon you're talking about.
I ran across this article today:

-----------

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/01/buil...ply-chain/

I don’t want to be intubated.

That was my main thought a few weeks ago as I lay in bed at home, having trouble breathing and watching my pulse oximeter show that my blood oxygen was under 93% when it should have been over 95%.

I had just tested positive for Covid-19 and wanted to stay out of the hospital completely, or at least for as long as I could. Being short of breath meant I could develop hypoxia — too little oxygen in my bloodstream — which would mean I’d need to go to the hospital, something I wanted to avoid because it would increase my chances of being intubated and put on a ventilator.

The thought of being put on a ventilator frightened me, since nearly 90% of Covid-19 patients in the New York City area who were put on ventilators died.

Related: With ventilators running out, doctors say the machines are overused for Covid-19
Because I had been short of breath, exhausted, and feeling a tightness in my chest before testing positive for Covid-19, my father sent me a continuous positive airway pressure machine, also known as a CPAP, to help me breathe. This device is commonly used to treat obstructive sleep apnea.

Using CPAP requires wearing a mask that covers the nose and mouth. It is connected to a blower that pushes air through a hose and into the mask. Computer logic in the blower sends puffs of air into the mask timed to the user’s breathing patterns. The extra air pressure in the mask keeps the airway open and allows the user to breathe. It’s different in that way from a ventilator, which breathes for you.

I put on the mask, turned on the machine, and watched as my blood oxygen level rose to a manageable level, and helped keep it there over the next few days. I was able to work every day with intermittent use of the CPAP machine, and within a week was back on my feet.

I’m not alone in thinking that CPAP machines can play roles in fighting Covid-19. Emergency physicians I’ve spoken with directly, and others I have seen in the news, such as Colleen Smith from Elmhurst Hospital in Queens, N.Y., say that CPAP machines can be used for some patients in place of ventilators, providing all of the breathing support that’s needed and freeing up scarce ventilators for sicker people. For others, they could act as a bridge before crossing over to a ventilator. For patients coming off ventilators, CPAP machines could initially help regulate their breathing.

One drawback to using CPAP machines or their cousins, bilevel positive airway pressure (BiPAP) machines, at home or in the hospital is the cost of these devices. ResMed, the leading manufacturer of CPAP and BiPAP machines, charges approximately $1,500 for them. While that’s less than the cost of a ventilator, it is too much for individuals, much less for medical systems in crisis.

My father, an inventor and inveterate tinkerer, predicted the value of CPAP in treating patients with Covid-19 weeks before sending me one. With some experimentation, he came up with the prototype below, which could be built for approximately $200 apiece.

But what we found when we began to procure the most basic parts needed for production was that, due to outsourcing, none of the components were currently being made in the U.S., including basic items such as hoses, masks, and blowers. Outsourcing to China had led China to outsource to Vietnam, and so on. Despite the free-trade mantra that outsourcing to lower-wage countries leads to lower-cost products, there has been a persistent creep in the availability and cost of almost everything that Americans need to manufacture our own products.

Related: New analysis recommends less reliance on ventilators to treat coronavirus patients
This wasn’t always the case. Growing up in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, my father worked for a company he started in his early 20s called Polymerics, for which he invented PolyGel, a common component in rubber compounds. Polymerics sold to U.S. companies different types of rubber and plastic that were needed to build anything ranging from windshield wipers to medical devices and engine mounts. While the company still exists and is still family-owned, the supply chain it depends on has become so much more complex that today we cannot find a single plastic made in the U.S. that we could use to build a low-cost CPAP device.

This dearth applies to the CPAP mask and blower. The mask involves run-of-the-mill injection molding with either additive manufacturing (3D printing) or craftsmanship machining. The blower is the heart of the CPAP. It inflates and deflates as the patient inhales and exhales. Its parts are similar to a computer fan, and those parts should be in the American arsenal to battle against pathogens. Yet they almost exclusively are made in China.

The upshot is that many individuals and hospitals in need of alternatives to highly invasive and potentially harmful ventilators facing a supply chain that makes it impossible to quickly produce them in this time of need.

What is at the root of this supply chain crisis? It could be our complacency, or unnecessary complexity, or a depletion of our greatest natural resource — expertise. The inability to get parts to make the products that we need in a timely fashion is felt across industries, but it is most relevant now to the medical industry.

My call to action is not to speed up shipments of the parts needed to build medical equipment like CPAP machines from China and Vietnam and beyond. It is to create businesses in the U.S. with the capabilities to quickly and easily build the parts we need to improve the health of Americans.

Matthew Putman, Ph.D., is the cofounder and CEO of Nanotronics, a science technology company that creates AI platforms and advanced inspection tools for manufacturing.
Since we've had numerous other threads that have delved deeply into the possibility of using CPAP as an emergency solution for treatment & ventilation of patients with COVID-19, I'm closing this exploratory thread to new replies.

Thanks to all who have posted information here!

Thanks

~ THREAD CLOSED ~  
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 560 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 490 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 508 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,777 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 882 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  PSG - Mild OSA and Severe PLMD gohoos1998 10 903 09-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Treatment] Need help with severe fatigue and brain fog - AirCurve 10 ASV (Help with settings) MUARS 20 1,884 08-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.