Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Need An expert to explain
Question 
Need An expert to explain
HI. this is my fathers 1 months cpap data. he has been using REMstar auto 60 series. i could make a report from OSCAR but it wasn't accepted by the doctor... I need some one to explain the study data, whether he is having any benefit/ progress from it. also kindly guide me what are the important datas that i should follow in the report.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need An expert to explain
The main problem he has is positional apnea. Positional apnea’s when he is sleeping in a position where he cuts off his own airway. THERE IS NO change of settings on ANY pap machine can help. He has to stop sleeping in that position. 

He is “chin tucking “ which is when his chin drops to his Sternum cutting off his airway. It could be helped by stay off his back and change his pillow to a flatter pillow. But his seems to be bad enough that he should be wearing a collar. SEE THE BOTTOM OF THE POST for a link for a collar. In it you can see people without a collar and the same people with a collar. 

They are inexpensive and you can get one at most pharmacies.  But sometimes it is hard to get one that works for him. To get a size measure the distance from his chin to sternum. 

After he gets this fixed, I’m sure he will need pressure changes. But I woul suggest to try flex =2 - 3 seems to cause problems with many people. And min pressure of 7

You can see positional apnea by looking at the event chart. If they are grouped together it is positional apnea. Look in the OA and H row.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The other problem is mask leaks. There are large leaks throughout the night. Those leaks have to be reduced if his therapy will be effective. He may need to get a different mask or try to adjust the mask fitting.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
At a pressure of 4 to 20 cm, the pressure is not preventing hypopnea and other obstructive events. The minimum pressure needs to be raised to 8.0 cm, and that should cut events in half. The Philips Respironics auto CPAP is slow to increase pressure and tends to react to events rather then prevent them. By increasing the minimum pressure, we try to prevent those events with enough pressure to keep the airway stable. Please try the high minimum pressure, and after you have more data, post another chart. If your father uses more than one pillow, or one that is firm and raises his head, it may be causing him to block his airway by tucking his chin. Here is a wiki on the topic http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea

In addition to increasing minimum pressure to 8.0, I recommend reducing A-Flex from 3 to 2. This can help with syncing the respiratory timing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR expert needed - out of things to try.... pezhead99 20 1,476 09-25-2023, 04:51 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Please explain airsense term on clinical settings rebean 2 513 08-11-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: rebean
  [Treatment] New mask - can anyone explain some of these shifting numbers? CruzVevo 6 633 01-15-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  ResMed EPR…someone explain? spetzal 19 1,704 01-01-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Lynandra
  Guys can someone please explain all the different settings on a BiPap (Philips) Zoltyzolt 2 714 03-12-2022, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Would an Oscar expert look at my data? DJCpap 2 478 08-25-2021, 07:34 AM
Last Post: DJCpap
Video [Diagnosis] Hi guys starting therapy today, could someone explain my sleep study IwantToSleep123 6 978 08-14-2021, 01:27 AM
Last Post: IwantToSleep123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.