Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Need Help [Do i need to buy a cpap]
Question 
Need Help [Do i need to buy a cpap]
I have take a cpap machine on rent for one month.

9/8/2013 - 10/9/2013
Pressure - cmH2O
Median: 8.2
AHI & AI - Events/hr
Apnea index: 1.1
Central: 0.0
Usage
Used Days >= 4 hrs : 22
Days not used: 0
Total hours used: 153:38
Designed by
95th Percentile: 11.3 Maximum: 13.0
AHI: 1.3 Obstructive: 0.1
Unknown: 0.8 Hypopnea index: 0.3
Used Days < 4 hrs : 10 % Used Days >= 4 hrs : 68
Total days: 32 Median daily usage: 4:31
Average daily usage: 4:48

This was my report after one month.
Can you please help me if i need to buy a CPAP machine or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help[Do i need to buy a cpap]
Hi santhosh443 - welcome to Apnea Board
You need to followup with your sleep doctor. I presume you,re using S9 AutoSet and maybe from Australia. Your AHI on CPAP is well within the accepted range for effective treatment (there are other factors too) but does not mean that you don,t need using CPAP anymore, just your apnea is well treated while using CPAP. You need compare with AHI during your sleep study. Have you done sleep study, whats the AHI?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2013, 03:56 AM)zonk Wrote: Hi santhosh443 - welcome to Apnea Board
You need to followup with your sleep doctor. I presume you,re using S9 AutoSet and maybe from Australia. Your AHI on CPAP is well within the accepted range for effective treatment (there are other factors too) but does not mean that you don,t need using CPAP anymore, just your apnea is well treated while using CPAP. You need compare with AHI during your sleep study. Have you done sleep study, whats the AHI?

HI zonk,

Thanks for your reply.
Yes i was using S9 Auto set.
I have undergone a sleep study.
There were more than 30/hr obstructions.
SPO2 saturation was also low as 76%.

-- Santhosh
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Santhosh
AHI 30 is borderline between moderate and severe sleep apnea
To answer your question .... definitely you need to buy CPAP

Check supplier list, if you happen to be outside US, suppliers #10 and #2 ship internationally
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks
for you help.
Which model of CPAP do you suggest.
I was okay with resmed s9 autoset.
How are Philips CPAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
Phillips Respironcis System One Auto (PRS1 - model number 560) slighter cheaper than ResMed S9 AutoSet. I have not used PRS1 but from what I gather its as good as AutoSet and both machines use SD card and supported by free available software which you can download from this board also the clinical manuals are available too
Archangle:Machine Choices http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2013, 03:09 AM)santhosh443 Wrote: I have take a cpap machine on rent for one month.

9/8/2013 - 10/9/2013
Pressure - cmH2O
Median: 8.2
AHI & AI - Events/hr
Apnea index: 1.1
Central: 0.0
Usage
Used Days >= 4 hrs : 22
Days not used: 0
Total hours used: 153:38
Designed by
95th Percentile: 11.3 Maximum: 13.0
AHI: 1.3 Obstructive: 0.1
Unknown: 0.8 Hypopnea index: 0.3
Used Days < 4 hrs : 10 % Used Days >= 4 hrs : 68
Total days: 32 Median daily usage: 4:31
Average daily usage: 4:48

This was my report after one month.
Can you please help me if i need to buy a CPAP machine or not.

I agree that the CPAP you are using has your AHI within acceptable ranges. The data you have posted says that 68 days you (or someone) used the machine for more than 4 hours; 10% under 4 hours and in another place it says 22 days use for more than 4 hours. I am sort of confused by this. 68 days is more than 2 months.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi santhosh443,
WELCOME!! to the forum.!
Great advice so far, but hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The big question is how do you *feel* after using the machine for a month? If you had 30 events an hour during a study, then yes, you can benefit from a CPAP. The numbers you posted show a drastic improvement compared to 30 events per hour, so it shows it is helping greatly. While only you can decide if the hassle and cost is worth it, please know that long-term 'sleep apnea' can cause severe and sometimes fatal health problems.

I went for my study because of my resting heart rate suddenly would not go below 122 (even with valium). Between CPAP/BI-PAP and my heart Doc and meds, some dozen years later my heart rate at rest is now 72 (off meds), and I no longer need to see the heart Doc. My heart issues were caused my long term untreated severe sleep apnea.

Everyone is different, but if it were me in your shoes (knowing what I know now) I would be living on CPAP, and yes, would buy one.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I will also echo in that you need a CPAP machine.

Your machine statistics are telling you that your apnea is well under control as it is treating you. So the question of whether you need the machine or not falls to how significantly the machine has to treat you.

The machine is configured to provide a variable as-required pressure. The median pressure that it is providing is 8.2 cmH2O, and 95% of your treatment is done with a pressure of 11.3 (or lower).

To give you an idea of these numbers, the machine can provide a maximum pressure of 20 cmH2O. So your machine is providing a "significant" pressure to keep your apnea under control. Hence the conclusion that you need such a machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.