Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Need Help [Do i need to buy a cpap]
RE: Need Help[Do i need to buy a cpap]
I didn't feel much difference in the rest factor after and before using the machine.

But without machine i get lots of dreams and wakeup multiple time in the night, but with the machine didn't wake up much.

I got a new oxiometer and recorded over night without machine, I can see multiple time the SPO2 went as low as 85 %. I don't have machine now so cannot check with the machine

(10-17-2013, 10:45 AM)Peter_C Wrote: The big question is how do you *feel* after using the machine for a month? If you had 30 events an hour during a study, then yes, you can benefit from a CPAP. The numbers you posted show a drastic improvement compared to 30 events per hour, so it shows it is helping greatly. While only you can decide if the hassle and cost is worth it, please know that long-term 'sleep apnea' can cause severe and sometimes fatal health problems.

I went for my study because of my resting heart rate suddenly would not go below 122 (even with valium). Between CPAP/BI-PAP and my heart Doc and meds, some dozen years later my heart rate at rest is now 72 (off meds), and I no longer need to see the heart Doc. My heart issues were caused my long term untreated severe sleep apnea.

Everyone is different, but if it were me in your shoes (knowing what I know now) I would be living on CPAP, and yes, would buy one.

Thanks for you reply.
Which machine do you suggest ?

(10-18-2013, 10:29 AM)RonWessels Wrote: I will also echo in that you need a CPAP machine.

Your machine statistics are telling you that your apnea is well under control as it is treating you. So the question of whether you need the machine or not falls to how significantly the machine has to treat you.

The machine is configured to provide a variable as-required pressure. The median pressure that it is providing is 8.2 cmH2O, and 95% of your treatment is done with a pressure of 11.3 (or lower).

To give you an idea of these numbers, the machine can provide a maximum pressure of 20 cmH2O. So your machine is providing a "significant" pressure to keep your apnea under control. Hence the conclusion that you need such a machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh boy - what machine do I suggest?

Keep in mind, this is a Ford vs Chevy type question to a degree. You want the best machine you can get or afford to get. Data-capable for sure, and one you can 'grow' into in case your needs change.

Each of my (two) machines were the latest and greatest when I got them, but today, one belongs in a museum, and the other I can't pull data from. I like and prefer 'Resmed' machines, but only because that is all I have used. I think the 'autopap' 'autoset' feature is/can be a real boon.

Looking at the cost of these machines, and realizing you will have one for many, many years, while you may not need the bells and whistles right now, you might down the road.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes i agree Smile
need to start searching for a machine which come in my budget.

(10-20-2013, 12:14 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Oh boy - what machine do I suggest?

Keep in mind, this is a Ford vs Chevy type question to a degree. You want the best machine you can get or afford to get. Data-capable for sure, and one you can 'grow' into in case your needs change.

Each of my (two) machines were the latest and greatest when I got them, but today, one belongs in a museum, and the other I can't pull data from. I like and prefer 'Resmed' machines, but only because that is all I have used. I think the 'autopap' 'autoset' feature is/can be a real boon.

Looking at the cost of these machines, and realizing you will have one for many, many years, while you may not need the bells and whistles right now, you might down the road.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2013, 04:07 AM)santhosh443 Wrote: SPO2 saturation was also low as 76%.

-- Santhosh

Rereading this thread, I failed to spot this the first time. FYI - 76% is getting close to the 'smurf' zone, and if your O2 was randomly that low, most any DR would tell you to go to a hospital. Depending on how often, and for how long you are that low, brain cells can begin to die.

Different issue, but my father in-law died of COPD. The last few years of his life, there were many, many times when his O2 would drop into the 70s (time to go to the hospital) - but besides that, his memory started fading due to all the times his O2 dropped, he went from sharp as a tack, to telling me a story 10 minutes after he told me it the first time, like he was telling me for the first time - and this was at age 70.

The point being, this reason alone (depending again on how often and for how long) is enough to say you need to be on a CPAP ASAP!!
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for you reply.

Here is india(bangalore).

I have three options.

1) philips auto(58,000)
2) resmed s9 auto set(60,000)
3) devilbisis sleepcube(54000).

All threee come in my budget. Which one do you guys think is better.

-- Santhsoh

(10-20-2013, 03:41 PM)Peter_C Wrote:

-- Santhosh

Rereading this thread, I failed to spot this the first time. FYI - 76% is getting close to the 'smurf' zone, and if your O2 was randomly that low, most any DR would tell you to go to a hospital. Depending on how often, and for how long you are that low, brain cells can begin to die.

Different issue, but my father in-law died of COPD. The last few years of his life, there were many, many times when his O2 would drop into the 70s (time to go to the hospital) - but besides that, his memory started fading due to all the times his O2 dropped, he went from sharp as a tack, to telling me a story 10 minutes after he told me it the first time, like he was telling me for the first time - and this was at age 70.

The point being, this reason alone (depending again on how often and for how long) is enough to say you need to be on a CPAP ASAP!!

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2013, 05:43 AM)santhosh443 Wrote: Thanks for you reply.

I have three options.

1) philips auto(58,000)

-- Santhsoh
You cannot go wrong with either ResMed S9 AutoSet or Phillips Repironcis System One Auto

Post Reply Post Reply
What zonk said, although make sure the PRS1 is a 60 series.
Post Reply Post Reply
S9 AutoSet is an excellent machine. Be sure it's not an S9 Escape Auto. That one is much more limited in the data it collects.

The PRS1 (Philips) Auto is another good machine. I slightly prefer the S9 AutoSet, but wouldn't argue too hard with someone who wants the PRS1.

The S9 and PRS1 have better data access than the Devilbiss. This can literally be a lifesaver if you have problems with CPAP.

Get a humidifier with whatever machine you get.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI - most everyone I know needs, uses, and loves having a humidifier, the only exception I know of is my wife. For myself personally, I just can't use my machine if it did not have a humidifier! If I happen to run out of water in it for just part of one night, I will sneeze for hours the next day and have a very sore nose.

Post Reply Post Reply
Now that I have the top of the line PRS1 Auto SV machine it is so noisy, and refuses to let me see my data, I really wish I had stuck with Resmed. I will be attempting to return the PRS 1and get the Resmed.

(10-23-2013, 05:43 AM)santhosh443 Wrote: Thanks for you reply.

I have three options.

1) philips auto(58,000)

-- Santhsoh

(10-20-2013, 03:41 PM)Peter_C Wrote:

-- Santhosh

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.