Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Need advice please about the necessity of getting a machine
Need advice please about the necessity of getting a machine
Thanks in advance
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea but I was only at 5.9
I am with a hmo and its difficult to talk to my doctor
Is having a read of 5.9 serious enough to warrant a machine?
I don't trust a for profit hmo to be honest Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need advice please about the necessity of getting a machine
Hi LarryPer123 - Welcome

Most insurance companies usually won't approve payment for a CPAP if your AHI is below 20. It is also considered treated if your AHI is below 5. I'll be interested to see what they tell you.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
At 6 events per hour, you stop breathing over 40 times per night. It disrupts your sleep and can mean you need to go to the bathroom, and may experience daytime fatigue or need to nap. If you don't feel it is adversely affecting your life and lifestyle at this time, then you may want to decline treatment for now. If you are experiencing common side-affects of sleep apnea, it will help to start therapy; just be sure to get an auto CPAP machine that will provide you with data related to the effectiveness of treatment.

Keep in mind, a sleep study is just a snapshot of your sleep disorder. It may be worse on nights when you sleep deeper without the test equipment. Whether or not to use CPAP should be decided in part based on your commitment to using it and sense that it will be beneficial. Ask for the complete results of your sleep study so you can see the types of events, and the results of the blood oxygen saturation monitoring. It's good to have this for your records, and the details may make a difference in making your decision, and let you discuss it with your doctor.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks [url=http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/User-Sleeprider][/url]

I am always tired and my sleep is refreshed Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
I had 30 events an hour. If my current numbers were 5.9, I would want to adjust my pressure to get under 2. But I've already have gone through the adjustment to being a masked fighter pilot at night
whether I would start cpap would be the o2 results from the sleep test and the length of time of the apneas. 5 x 10s ones or 5 x 30s ones are a big difference.
If my o2 fell below 90% I definitely would get a cpap.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
your insurance should cover it.  as far as i'm aware you need to have an ahi >5.  which you do.  curious...what is your RDI ?

"if your always tired"  then that is why you were tested for sleep apnea.  test showed you were positive, albeit mildly, but positive.  next step is to fix it...which means cpap.  you could possibly talk with your dentist about a mandibular displacement device if you didn't want to go the cpap route, but that is no guarantee to fix apnea.

The previous responses are good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, keep in mind the way a HMO works. They are paid a set amount for your health care for a year. Every penny they do no spend on you is a penny that goes in their pocket. So if they say a CPAP is needed, the chances are it is really needed. Unless there are extenuating circumstances that you've not shared, I'll bet they decline coverage.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2017, 02:26 PM)TASmart Wrote: Also, keep in mind the way a HMO works. They are paid a set amount for your health care for a year. Every penny they do no spend on you is a penny that goes in their pocket. So if they say a CPAP is needed, the chances are it is really needed. Unless there are extenuating circumstances that you've not shared, I'll bet they decline coverage.

Thats true but I have Medicare who pays them
Post Reply Post Reply
If it is an HMO it still is on a capitation basis - Medicare supplement will pay the HMO X per year to take care of you. They are not reimbursed on a cost or incident basis. The less the HMO spends on you the more goes into their profit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi LarryPer123,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hopefully, you are able to get a CPAP machine to treat your sleep apnea, good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 274 29 minutes ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 858 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,792 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 78 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 790 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.