Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Negative for Sleep Apnea?
jakthebomb - Please follow up on getting the PLM checked. Even the results said to do that.

Try to get a home sleep study or to get an APAP for a 30 day trial. At the very least, purchase a recording oximeter and wear it while you sleep. If you can document and prove your overnight O2 sat rate drops, the doc is more likely to further pursue testing.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-21-2016 10:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
jakthebomb Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500T11
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Nuance Pro
Humidifier: Dreamstation Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: unsure

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

(09-21-2016 10:34 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  jakthebomb - Please follow up on getting the PLM checked. Even the results said to do that.

Try to get a home sleep study or to get an APAP for a 30 day trial. At the very least, purchase a recording oximeter and wear it while you sleep. If you can document and prove your overnight O2 sat rate drops, the doc is more likely to further pursue testing.

I don't want to bother with that PLM, I think that was a false positive. Anyways, all treatment for it would be medications. At this point I refuse to take more medications as I am on too many as it is.

I am pushing my Doctor to do somewhat of a trial run with a CPAP. I have to wait and see as he is way too busy and would take over a month to do a follow up appointment. If money wasn't so tight I would have just bought a APAP and call it a day.

Thanks,
Catherine
09-22-2016 01:20 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

So you are picking and choosing what you want from the diagnosis? Only taking what you want and tossing the rest?

Okay. Since you'll probably do that with our advice, I'm done.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-22-2016 01:23 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Apneaway Offline

Members

Machine: DreamStation AutoSet CPAP
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10M
Humidifier: DreamStation AutoSet CPAP
CPAP Pressure: 8-14
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

I do believe everyone, to some degree, has sleep apnea. It's just that it might mild with AHI lower than 5 and be considered as normal. It doesn't hurt to use the machine if you can sleep with it on. It's not like taking medicine that has side effects.
09-23-2016 09:32 PM
0rangebear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSence 10
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: HumidAire (Built-in)
CPAP Pressure: APAP 12.8-15 EPR 3 (cmH2O)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ramp off

I would like to encourage you to reconsider jakthebomb- PaulaO2's advice on the follow-up. Periodic leg movement-restless leg syndrome are sleep disorders that you doctor could use to get your insurance to cover CPAP. Sleep-well

My wife has and AHI of less that 1 without therapy but she suffers from Ataxia Telangiectasia, her doctor obtained approval from our insurance by certifying that the "therapy" will improve her condition.

Your doctor can do the came with the PLM/RLS by prescribing positive airway pressure as treatment for that condition. However, you have to pursue treatment for the condition to make that happen.

Just inform you doctor that you do not want to take the medicines you prefer the therapy for treatment.

(09-22-2016 01:20 AM)jakthebomb Wrote:  
(09-21-2016 10:34 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  jakthebomb - Please follow up on getting the PLM checked. Even the results said to do that.

I don't want to bother with that PLM, I think that was a false positive. Anyways, all treatment for it would be medications.

I am pushing my Doctor to do somewhat of a trial run with a CPAP.
Thanks,
Catherine

(09-22-2016 01:23 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  So you are picking and choosing what you want from the diagnosis? Only taking what you want and tossing the rest?

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2016 02:01 PM by 0rangebear.)
09-24-2016 10:40 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
jakthebomb Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(09-24-2016 10:40 AM)0rangebear Wrote:  I would like to encourage you to reconsider jakthebomb and PaulaO2's advice on the follow-up. Periodic leg movement-restless leg syndrome are sleep disorders that you doctor could use to get your insurance to cover CPAP. Sleep-well

My wife has and AHI of less that 1 without therapy but she suffers from Ataxia Telangiectasia, her doctor obtained approval from our insurance by certifying that the "therapy" will improve her condition.

Your doctor can do the came with the PLM/RLS by prescribing positive airway pressure as treatment for that condition. However, you have to pursue treatment for the condition to make that happen.

Just inform you doctor that you do not want to take the medicines you prefer the therapy for treatment.

Thank you for your thoughts. My roommate insists that I do have Sleep Apnea. I had 15 Hypopneas and really think it was a milder day. I have researched and found that Sleep Apnea does vary night to night. It can be more severe one night and mild the next.

This is why most Sleep Experts recommend a follow up sleep study as more than 50% of people who were negative the first night will be positive the second night.

I also know that PLMS can be a symptom of Sleep Apnea. It is not always caused by other factors. I know for a FACT that I do not have Restless Leg Syndrome which can account for 80% of PLMS diagnosis.

I asked my doctor for both a APAP Prescription and a Follow Up Sleep Study. He was very dismissive. I called my insurance company and they recommended I get a second opinion and said "We will completely cover a APAP machine just as long as a Prior-Auth is submitted." I just need a doctor to submit one and it is pretty much guaranteed to be approved.

I setup an appointment with a new doctor for Monday. I will do my best to plead my case and get him to send that prior auth.

Thanks,
Catherine
09-24-2016 01:56 PM
cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One 560BT Auto
Mask Make & Model: P10's/backup-DreamWear
Humidifier: PR attached
CPAP Pressure: 8.5 - 13. A-Flex 3

Other Comments: Began CPAP Therapy Sept. 11, 2015. Hx Hypertension, Post Graves Disease, chronic migraines.

(09-20-2016 09:06 PM)jakthebomb Wrote:  ...
I wore my Apple Watch with Sleep++ for the past two nights and it said over 25% restlessness, my roommate wore it last night and it said 4% restlessness. I am really desperate for relief.

I was curious so I looked up that app on the iTunes App Store. It does not get good reviews. From what I saw, most people said it didn't work. So not sure I'd put any stock into the results from it. JMHO

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!! Rolleyes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
09-29-2016 05:52 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SaldusMiegas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: P-10, F&P Simplus
Humidifier: integrated
CPAP Pressure: Rx:14, Set:Auto 8.0-15.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Woot! P-10 pillows plus Ruby chinstrap for side-sleeping mouth breathers

Hi Catherine,

If the Monday for the second opinion hasn't already passed, you might ask your roommate to take a video of you sleeping.

That would be pretty compelling evidence to show the new doc.

And don't let her put it on the Internet.

Saldus Miegas
09-29-2016 07:02 AM
jakthebomb Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(09-29-2016 07:02 AM)SaldusMiegas Wrote:  Hi Catherine,

If the Monday for the second opinion hasn't already passed, you might ask your roommate to take a video of you sleeping.

That would be pretty compelling evidence to show the new doc.

And don't let her put it on the Internet.

Saldus Miegas

I am getting an at home sleep study with the Ares device. My sleep study nurse said that she thinks I have Sleep Apnea since the original results show classic problems during my sleep. She said another test should be enough to push me into a diagnosis.

She said that the PLMS can very well be related to Sleep Apnea and that a CPAP machine can totally reduce the issue.

Wish me luck!

Catherine
09-29-2016 01:39 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
jakthebomb Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

I have been diagnosed with "Moderate, Non-Positional Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)"

AHI = 3
RDI (Respiratory Disturbance Index) = 21

There is much more listed in the Sleep Study, but I am so happy that my condition is finally going to be treated.
10-13-2016 03:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Angry [News] DANGER OF UNDIAGNOSED SLEEP APNEA srlevine1 7 499 11-21-2016 03:26 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Central Sleep Apnea? wayne99 8 713 11-20-2016 06:39 AM
Last Post: wayne99
  Sleep Apnea Alphabet Soup ladytimes 2 201 11-13-2016 02:16 PM
Last Post: ladytimes
  [News] Vitamin D - possible help for sleep apnea patients? ApneaNews 46 13,975 10-28-2016 05:01 PM
Last Post: scotty
  Sleep Apnea Surgery zeeser 5 575 10-26-2016 02:42 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  Ordered a Auto CPAP / Was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea jakthebomb 15 786 10-18-2016 08:00 AM
Last Post: southerndoc
  Advice for American suffering from sleep apnea in China? moebius 3 316 10-11-2016 08:16 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred