Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Negative sleep study, still ordered a CPAP
RE: Negative sleep study, still ordered a CPAP
(11-16-2020, 08:16 AM)marasmus Wrote: Sleeprider , one of the reasons I joined this forum is to give insight to the people who have been suffering quite a long time from a standpoint of an MD and also learn from their experience so that I can improve my own sleep as well as my patients. It just hurts me to see that a lot of patients are unable to receive the appropriate care they need due to tackles in medical system. I have been suffering from UARS and being a physician I find myself struggling significantly navigating in the path through recovery and I probably can only imagine what patients have been going through. 

I would say this is an extremely important forum that gives hope and relief to patients. It needs to be supported and as a physician and a patient myself, I would do my best to contribute.

Periodic Limb movement tends to happen during lighter stages of sleep and disrupt the first half of your sleep more than the second. Due to muscle atone during REM, any type of movement decreases unless you have REM behavior disorder in which you act out your dreams in sleep. But if you had that, you would know it. It is much more than toss and turn.
Post Reply Post Reply
gerd could itself be a reason for your troubles. cpap significantly reduced mine but you don't seem to have much of a problem with apnea so other means of treatment might be beneficial to ease that and to determine whether it's a factor in causing your disturbances. cotton mouth is from mouth breathing. I'm not sure if you've always had it or only after cpap but the solutions are the same: chin strap, soft cervical collar, tape, the tongue suck method and xylimelts or similar.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2020, 02:01 PM)sheepless Wrote: gerd could itself be a reason for your troubles. cpap significantly reduced mine but you don't seem to have much of a problem with apnea so other means of treatment might be beneficial to ease that and to determine whether it's a factor in causing your disturbances.  cotton mouth is from mouth breathing.  I'm not sure if you've always had it or only after cpap but the solutions are the same: chin strap, soft cervical collar, tape, the tongue suck method and xylimelts or similar.

Had not thought about that yet honestly. Just searched it up on google and it appears GERD can lead to arousals and fragmented sleep, so I'll have to ask for an acidity measurement test for my esophagus then. I'll also try taping my mouth shut tonight. I was afraid that if I taped my mouth shut, I won't be able to gasp for breath when I wake up at night and that I'm too confused to realise my mouth is taped shut.
Post Reply Post Reply
if you're anxious about taping, as I would be if I could tape (won't stick to beard/mustache), buy or fabricate a chinstrap or preferably a soft cervical collar. most straps pull the chin back which aggravates osa. a collar keeps the chin up and for some reason is also reasonably effective against lip leaks from pressure. in the US, a collar can be found at many pharmacies, & maybe dme suppliers, for 20 usd or less. I've purchased from walgreens and rite aid. of course you can find a better selection online. meanwhile, anything that'll hold your chin up may help - a pillow, one of those neck collars that hold your head up sleeping in a car or airplane, a towel rolled around a necktie... I'm sure you can find something around the house to use temporarily.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recorded my sleep last night and noticed no breathing stops or anything and no large amount of turning/rolling either. I think I can say that sleep apnea is not the case here, but it was worth the try. I'm picking up antacids at the doctor this afternoon which I'll have to try for a month, if that makes no difference she said she'll ask for a study at an ENT or gastroenterologist. I also got a referral for a psychologist who will contact me in a few weeks to make an appointment to see if I have PTSD or any other syndrome/disorder that could interfere with my sleep. If the possible GERD and PTSD are not the cause, I will ask them to check for PLMS/RLS, but I'll have to record some more nights of sleep before I can say that I suspect that.

I want to thank you all for your time and appreciate it sincerely. For now I have no more questions, but I'm glad something has atleast been set in motion.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2020, 06:17 AM)Anargy Wrote: I recorded my sleep last night and noticed no breathing stops or anything and no large amount of turning/rolling either. I think I can say that sleep apnea is not the case here, but it was worth the try. I'm picking up antacids at the doctor this afternoon which I'll have to try for a month, if that makes no difference she said she'll ask for a study at an ENT or gastroenterologist. I also got a referral for a psychologist who will contact me in a few weeks to make an appointment to see if I have PTSD or any other syndrome/disorder that could interfere with my sleep. If the possible GERD and PTSD are not the cause, I will ask them to check for PLMS/RLS, but I'll have to record some more nights of sleep before I can say that I suspect that.

I want to thank you all for your time and appreciate it sincerely. For now I have no more questions, but I'm glad something has atleast been set in motion.

I would not jump into conclusion that breathing related sleep disorder is not the case here. It is always good to rule out other potential reasons but you may very well be suffering from UARS and the only difference is that UARS you stop breathing less than 10 seconds and wake up which does not qualify for apnea or hypopnea. It disrupts your sleep as much as OSA would if not more.
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem is that UARS is not recognized here and I have no way of getting my hands on a BiPaP and neither do I have the funds for it at this time.  I tried the CPAP setting on my ResMed, but it changed nothing for my sleep quality, it even seemed to be worse. I’d like to get tested for UARS, but I don’t see how? I got referred to my sleep study only after waiting for 2 years and demanding it. Do you think a WatchPAT study could help?
Post Reply Post Reply
In support of the comment by marasmus, you are using therapy which treats any apnea that might otherwise occur. It is premature to conclude that you don't have sleep disordered breathing, however that was the conclusion of your diagnostic study. In your results we see occasional flow limitation, but levels are quite low. Without a close-up examination of the flow rate, we really can't make a more detailed evaluation. We usually try to look at the flow rate for a 2-3 minute segement of sleep to see what it tells us. At that zoom level, we can clearly see the inspiration and expiration wave shape, and that is usually conclusive if there is any flow restriction. Keep in mind, that your current settings should effectively treat apnea and UARS.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With current settings, do you mean APAP mode from 7 to 8 or do you mean CPAP mode on 7cm2OH? 

I’m still using the machine and will do so again tonight. I’ll upload a new OSCAR screenshot tomorrow. I’ll zoom in on the flow rate. Is there anything else I can show you to better see what the problem is?
Post Reply Post Reply
As per your advice I have continued using the CPAP. I have received Famotidine to treat my GERD and am also taking Iron supplements. A cervical collar will arrive at my home in a few days too to prevent mouth breathing. I have bought a WatchPAT study from a private clinic which I will do upcoming wednesday, they were kinda shocked I was using a CPAP without diagnosis and told me to stop using it immediately, for my own safety and to make sure the results next week aren't fiddled with because of my CPAP usage. I hope this can show me if I have UARS. This was my OSCAR chart last nigt including zoomed in 1 minute timeframe screenshots of the flow limit. Can you people see anything out of the ordinary here? If there are any other charts you need to see to better visualize what's going on, please let me know. 

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 161 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.