Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] New Member Sleep Study Results: AHI 102!
RE: New Member Sleep Study Results: AHI 102!
I don't have enough info to know without a doubt what device you need. A lot depends on the breakdown of the AHI 102 number.
Assuming a CPAP class device I suggest ResMed AutoSet, any version. Call Hart Medical, they are a conventional DME and they do accept Medicare and many insurance plans. You will have to call them and ask. They typically have AutoSets in stock. If you are out of pocket add Supplier#2 to your list. They have new and refurbished units available at a fair price. Their used units come with a 6 month warranty which they do back.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get your sleep study results and post them asking for expert thoughts. 

If Gideon feels the Resmed Autoset is likely a good starting point I would listen to that. He knows this stuff!
(I'm satisfied with my Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset and the 10 version seems to be quite good too)
Pay attention to "Autoset" model.
There is a wiki article about what machines are compatible with OSCAR, that's a big deal. OSCAR screenshots allow the experts here fine tune your settings for effectiveness and comfort.
Once you have the machine, the wiki article about setting your graphs and posting screenshots is a good read too.

102 AHI is impressive.
In comparison, my 7.7 AHI is child's play.

It's worth it to find/buy a machine now, while you wait for supply chain and DME issues, with an AHI like that you'll want a backup machine even after DME gets you one.

Some online suppliers don't require a script and you can find refurbished machines but it's good to have your script. 

I imagine it'll feel great to be able to sleep in the same bed as your wife again.
My partner says the machine makes a quiet white noise that he actually finds relaxing.

And... your experience with the sleep doc is not uncommon. It seems often they just don't know or they aren't taking the time to listen to patients.
You've landed in a good place to take control of your own health. 

Read the pinned thread about machines and the wiki 'mask primer' article. Browse the wiki and the previous posts just for knowledge and experiences of others.

Masks are a very personal challenge. It could take some expensive trial and error to figure out what works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ask your doctor to write the prescription for the specific brand and model that you want with a note that they are to provide you with the exact machine prescribed. Most of us here think the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset is your best bet unless your doctor determines that you need a Bilevel machine or an ASV machine. If so, get the ResMed version of those. Best of luck!
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
My doc gave me a script with the specific model and settings. I got a copy,
and ordered a rental unit from RespShop. Total initial cost with shipping and supplies was about $275, including 50/month for the ResMed AirSense 11. I checked with my doc to see if that was OK, and he was all for it…..and even made sure I got an SD card to download data and swap between machines. My unit arrives Tuesday.
Post Reply Post Reply
One "Heads-up" I recommend; Before any use, make sure that you have the correct timezone set on the AS11. Any changes after its initial use, will require a complete reformatting (loss) of the data. (Major Bummer!)

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Second heads up. You will need a second SD card for the second machine, or make a backup copy of the first machines data and then reformat tha card. An SD card can only hold data from a single machine.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
So glad you are taking the bull by the horns! You have a fair amount of learning to do about what mask will work well for you and everyone's a bit different. Personally I prefer nasal pillows.  A good mask fit is the key to success and it's not uncommon to go through several before you find "The One" your sleep doc may be able to help in this regard.  Be persistent in your efforts to get a great outcome and you'll get your life back.

Like you I had a high AHI (75) and like you I had been tired but toughing it out for years. Pap made a huge difference for me.  No more tired, no more naps, my brain started firing on a cylinders, I started dreaming again, blood pressure went back to normal, I dropped some weight without trying.  My sleep doc (who is an old school pulmonologist and uses cpap himself) told me that these high AHI numbers are substantially life shortening and need to be addressed asap.  He sent me home with a demo model until mine could be ordered and had me return several times to make sure I had a mask that worked for me.

Good luck - you're well on your way to a BIG life improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ll request my data.

I have United.

Just got a call yesterday…13+ weeks to get my CPAP. No lease, no used, nothing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Things are really backed up but hoping another option is available.

Like you I had AHI over 100. I felt like I didn't even sleep during the study.

Anyways, once I got my machine I went to 40 the first night then 20 the next then 10 then down around 5. Been humming along pretty well for 7 years below 5 until some recent struggles. It will definitely help.

Hoping you get the machine sooner than 13 weeks. Wish you well.
Post Reply Post Reply
That’s really good to hear, Rogue Shot. How did that big of a change affect you? Probably a pretty dumb question, but so far everyone seems to say they went from lower scores and it was life changing. I’m trying not to get my hopes up
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 89 1,637 04-23-2024, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 117 04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 206 04-23-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 10 281 04-22-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 22 542 04-22-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  PSG Results: Could this be UARS? deebob 260 18,561 04-17-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 205 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.