Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] New Member Sleep Study Results: AHI 102!
Gross 
New Member Sleep Study Results: AHI 102!
Just got my home sleep study results today and I’m a bit stunned. AHI of 102…

I’m in my 30s and have lived most of my life tired. I’m tired almost every single day. 

I’ve always snored; however, my snoring has gotten so bad over the past 5+ years that I sleep separate from my wife in the guest room. She says she’s willing to deal with it or wear ear plugs, but I’m self conscious and seem to wake up even more frequently or stay awake between events longer trying not to bother her. 

I’ve put off doing a sleep study for one dumb reason or another: too busy, what if it turns out normal and I just can’t ever sleep well, etc. Well, it’s been affecting my life drastically over the past several years and enough was enough. 

I’m glad to finally have some data to back up how I feel, but damn! Is 102 really as bad as it sounds?

MY Dr said he put in an expedited request, however, the receptionist he told who was putting in the prescription/order replied; “Ok…I’ll tryyyyy”; which doesn’t leave me very optimistic. He also mentioned that it could take up to a couple of months to get a CPAP due to supply chain yada yada yada. 

Ive got a lot to read, but I wanted to introduce myself. I’ve been on many forums and some are all about the, “search newb” replies, but this is my first medical-related forum, so maybe the atmosphere is more chill. I’ll try not to bother you guys anyway with searchable answers. I would appreciate any replies with explicit warnings, very important do-not-miss-type info and things like that while I get started researching what you have to offer. 

TIA
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Member Sleep Study Results: AHI 102!
@Gathermewool -- you've come to a good place. There are many helpful and knowledgeable people here who can assist you in using your cpap machine and optimizing your therapy.

I was diagnosed 7 years ago in a lab sleep study with an AHI of 44 -- not as high as your sleep study result, but severe nonetheless.  With the generous assistance of the experts on this forum I now sleep well and don't disturb my wife sleeping beside me.

Good luck!
AndyB
Post Reply Post Reply
102....Wow. My AHI was 41.7...and my doc put in an 'expedited' request as well, but he cautioned that it could take a couple months...and he gave me info on how to bug the DME to not forget that I'm waiting for a needed device.

I also took the step of renting an identical unit with the script. I used HSA funds to cover the initial cost (about $275 including the first month's rent of $50). That way, I get my unit on Tuesday, and will just shell out $50/month until my DME unit arrives. I don't want to wait 2 months, risk a bad medical event or lose more sleep until then. I'll be downloading all my data, and just swap the SD card to the new unit. If you can afford it, I'd recommend renting util your insurance / DME unit arrives.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome    

Hang in there, your on the right track now. Spend some time reading about the preferred machine and the free software (Oscar).   And keep all questions in this one thread so people can look at your history when you start posting charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the quick replies and welcome!

I’m getting a little heated, because I specifically asked doc if I could in any way get my hands on a device sooner, even if at greater expense or maybe if I could be reimbursed. He obviously said no, that I had to wait for the script to be filled.The front desk lady said not to bug the company L&P until after a month without word. 

How would I go about renting a device? 

Dummy me, I also forgot to ask for the data they had from the sleep study. I’ll ask for that and an actual copy of the Rx if that’s not too much to ask.
Post Reply Post Reply
It depends on the legal requirements, not least of which would be insurances and liability, but I understand that many jurisdictions require a prescription in order for the 'sufferer' to have a device to use.  It could be that, if you show a Durable Medical Equipment (DME) supplier/retailer your prescription, they might spot you a suitable device for the interim if you agree to purchase from them.  Personally, with that AHI of yours, it's as good as gold.  Too-funny  But, if you can find out who locally sells/rents PAP devices, you might get a sympathetic response, especially if you can pay.
Post Reply Post Reply
I may not be rich, but my HSA is maxed out every single year. At least for the near term Ive got plenty of money for things like this stashed away.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, my questions regarding which company I might buy from weren’t really answered by the doc. He said he’d submit my Rx and I’d receive a call. Is it prudent to call around myself with Rx in hand or let things play out?
Post Reply Post Reply
You need a copy of your test results and your prescription for your own records, and it is your right, under the HIPPA regulations, to get those documents, perhaps with a modest cost.

Once you have your copy, you can go anywhere you want to go.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you on Medicare?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 80 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 537 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 139 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 136 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 196 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.