Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] New adventure
New adventure
Been lurking here for a while, lots of info and guidance. I haven't got my machine yet, had an inconclusive home study done last month and a titration (sp?) last night.

I'm very encouraged, didn't have any problems last night. The system was a Phillips Respironics. I probably should have asked more questions, but didn't. The mask is relatively new model and a perfect fit! I was comfortable and had no issues all night. The best sleep I've had in years, I didn't want to leave. LOL

I'm assuming the machines used at centers are not the same as ones sold to consumers, am I wrong? I was not able to locate by pic the same model I used.
Because I fell into such a good fit, do I really even need  to try other masks? and are they proprietary?

Anyway, I'm now anxious to get this show on the road. I go back to my sleep doc in a couple weeks, and am going to request a copy of both my tests. Right now the onlly thing that sticks is that O2 was extremely low.

After reading a lot of the posts on here I was guardedly optimistic. I'm so relieved that now I know I can do this with a little work and finding the right setup.  Sorry if this is a bit rambling.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New adventure
Now is the time to think about your machine.  I understand that the Sleeplab used a PR machine.  For the titration, I believe they performed it would make no difference the brand of machine.   I would definitely identify the model and size of mask they used last night, they are fairly universal.

I would recommend the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset or the Autoset for her.  The for her has an additional algorithm for treatment, not a deal breaker either way.  This machine delivers FULL data down to a breath by breath level (when we request a 2 min segment of a graph, this is what we are looking at).  This is VERY important.  While we will work with any machine this is the machine that we feel is the most flexible.  Remember that this is a machine that you will likely have for 5+ years, do you think your optimized treatment will remain constant for that period?

Read the wiki article New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success especially if you have not already.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most likely the machine you used was controlled by the technician remotely to titrate you to a CPAP pressure. The Philips machine that is sold to end-users is a Dreamstation, and may be one of three models. The Dreamstation CPAP is the most basic model. It looks like the others but does not offer efficacy data and has fewer features to help your therapy. Do not accept a Dreamstation CPAP! The CPAP Pro offers data and the Dreamstation Auto offers automatic pressure adjustment and some additional comfort features. Of all the Philips Dreamstation product, the Auto CPAP is your best bet.

I personally prefer the Resmed machines, and like Philips, they come in CPAP, Elite and Autoset. Again the Autoset is far and away the best CPAP of the three with automatic pressure adjustment. The reason I like Resmed is that it provides an exhale pressure relief that is the same as bilevel (BiPAP), with up to 3-cm pressure difference between inhale and exhale pressure. This gives us more options when fine-tuning therapy, and allows us to solve problems like flow limitation, snoring and hypopnea without increasing pressure, but instead working with pressure relief.

That's my 2-cents. Please read the links in Bonjour's and my signature.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Sleepstarved.

I agree with both bonjour and Sleeprider. I'm also in favor of ResMed products as an owner/user. I've also had the Respironics DreamStation in the past. Both are excellent machines, but I believe the ResMed has the edge on breathing therapy feeling more natural and IMO easier to adjust to as a patient.

Best wishes on your near future successes. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BoxcarPete: An Adventure in Fine-Tuning BoxcarPete 32 1,526 12-06-2023, 12:15 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  KeepSmiling’s Book 2, ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto Adventure/Treatment KeepSmiling 42 4,153 11-26-2022, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Spy Car Bill's (Hopefully) Excellent ASV Adventure Spy Car 111 14,515 12-02-2017, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Hojo
  Mark's excellent adventure with a sleep doc or how I am going to kill myself ... Mark Douglas 17 4,021 10-18-2017, 07:34 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Rainbow A Newbe's adventure. SleepyDreamCatcher 17 5,088 05-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Last Post: ImaSurvivor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.