Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] New forum member, have been on CPAP for a month. Just started using OSCAR
RE: New forum member, have been on CPAP for a month. Just started using OSCAR
Beautiful.  I'm learning.  Thank you again.
Post Reply Post Reply
    It seems bonjour is correct about that issue being "Positional Apnea" for me.  I removed my pillow so that when I fell asleep in the supine position, my head and chin would be more flat.  When I reviewed the charts the next morning I found that this helped, but only a little.  I bought a soft cervical collar, and last night my results were dramatically improved.  Of course one test is never conclusive, but this is encouraging.  I actually like the support that the collar gives me during the night.  I also sleep on my side about half the time.  I wear an f30 mask.  I have very little chin protrusion and I believe the lower mask straps actually pull my chin down and contribute to the problem.
screenshot attached of a much improved sleep.
Thank you bonjour
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2020, 03:55 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: In your case, even in your sleep, you had the good sense to move. As you can see in the Wiki not everyone shares that good sense. The purpose of my post was just to make you aware of it.

I bought one those cervical collars. I bought The Eliminator from Amazon. I posted my results. Looks like it made a big difference!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2020, 11:19 AM)whiteoak Wrote: It seems bonjour is correct about that issue being "Positional Apnea" for me.  I removed my pillow so that when I fell asleep in the supine position, my head and chin would be more flat.  When I reviewed the charts the next morning I found that this helped, but only a little.  I bought a soft cervical collar, and last night my results were dramatically improved.  Of course one test is never conclusive, but this is encouraging.  I actually like the support that the collar gives me during the night.  I also sleep on my side about half the time.  I wear an f30 mask.  I have very little chin protrusion and I believe the lower mask straps actually pull my chin down and contribute to the problem.
screenshot attached of a much improved sleep.
Thank you bonjour

I bought a cervical collar from Amazon called the Eliminator. Also made a big difference in my results. Good to see you got much better results too. How have your results been these past few days?

Which collar did you buy? It took me about an hour to fall asleep with the collar, I didn't find it very comfortable when I am on my side. But I woke up feeling great so I will continue to use it. Look at my results I posted a moment ago
Post Reply Post Reply
The soft cervical collar I purchased is a very inexpensive “OTC” collar.  About 3” wide and has a small dip for your chin.  It’s soft and comfortable.   I tighten it just enough to eliminate any chin drop.  I’ve used it 4 nights now and it has eliminated my positional apnea issue.  It has also greatly helped with mouth leak.  Even though I wear a hybrid full face mask, I was still having issues with my mouth opening, air pressure changing, my soft palate changing position and it would wake me up.   I was still taping my lips closed to prevent this.   Last night was my second night to not have to tape.  Love it!  
I actually like wearing the collar.  It gives me a little support when sleeping on my side, and no more stiff necks.....still early in the trial, but it works SO MUCH BETTER than the chin strap I tried.....
Post Reply Post Reply
Now realize that most doctors are against the use of a collar because it is not in their book of treatments.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2020, 03:01 PM)whiteoak Wrote: The soft cervical collar I purchased is a very inexpensive “OTC” collar.  About 3” wide and has a small dip for your chin.  It’s soft and comfortable.   I tighten it just enough to eliminate any chin drop.  I’ve used it 4 nights now and it has eliminated my positional apnea issue.  It has also greatly helped with mouth leak.  Even though I wear a hybrid full face mask, I was still having issues with my mouth opening, air pressure changing, my soft palate changing position and it would wake me up.   I was still taping my lips closed to prevent this.   Last night was my second night to not have to tape.  Love it!  
I actually like wearing the collar.  It gives me a little support when sleeping on my side, and no more stiff necks.....still early in the trial, but it works SO MUCH BETTER than the chin strap I tried.....

I tried the chin straps as well. Was awful, I could not fall asleep with it. Just like it took me some time to get used to the feeling of Resmed P10 mask, I know it will take some time for me to get used to the collar. 

(07-25-2020, 04:48 PM)bonjour Wrote: Now realize that most doctors are against the use of a collar because it is not in their book of treatments.

Should people that were prescribed a CPAP machine, should have been prescribed/purchased instead a collar? In other words, can a collar treat sleep apnea for a few people with sleep apnea? Since using the machine I have been feeling much better, I'd rather not try to sleep a night without it to find out. My doc said I had a mild case of sleep apnea at '7 an hour' events. With the collar and my machine, I only had 3 events my entire night's sleep. Looking back, 7 events an hour isn't mild. I am feeling much better!
Post Reply Post Reply
The collar only applies in a specific case. If you get to here and we say collar, you need a CPAP in some form also.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New to CPAP, need help with analyze OSCAR tomakl 2 117 03-24-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: tomakl
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 154 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.