Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] New forum member, have been on CPAP for a month. Just started using OSCAR
New forum member, have been on CPAP for a month. Just started using OSCAR
Hello, I'm new here. 

I've been using my CPAP machine for about a month. I've been using ResMed's app myair to check my results of every nights sleep. I then read here on the forums of the program OSCAR. Last night was my first night I recorded with the SD card, I would appreciate if you guys can help me interpret the info

First thing I noticed is from about 5am my mask was leaking lots of air and that is when I started experiencing apneas. (I know, I know, I only slept 4-5 hours; I had to do something for work. Normally I sleep 7-8). 

Looks like from my entire time sleeping, I was in apnea for about 2 minutes. Not perfect but I don't think that's too bad. When I had my sleep study done, I had a mild sleep apnea at an average of 7 an hour

I need to figure out why my mask started to leak air so much around 5am. I suspect the hose is getting caught on my pillow or something

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

By the way, how can I add a custom avatar? I'm not given the option
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New forum member, have been on CPAP for a month. Just started using OSCAR
Welcome to the Forum!
You can post some data from the daily page of OSCAR. Include the leak rate graph. This way we can usually tell if you are mouth breathing or your mask is leaking. Follow the links in my signature line for guidance.

New members can select any of our existing avatars, but can't upload a custom avatar until you have transitioned into the regular members group (4 posts, and then a few hours must past by).
Once you transition into the Members group, you should have the ability to upload a custom avatar.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, I thought I did upload the screenshot. Hopefully this time it does appear. Thanks

Edit: Yup, here's the screenshot.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I'd be willing to bet your cluster of apnea was a positional issue of chin-tucking. It's really common, and in your case not too bad. Most of the night (albeit short) was very good therapy with nearly no events or flow limitation. I don't think you need to change any settings, but you should read the positional apnea wiki and think about whether this happens when you're on your side or back. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea

Welcome to the forum.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2020, 12:45 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'd be willing to bet your cluster of apnea was a positional issue of chin-tucking.  It's really common, and in your case not too bad.  Most of the night (albeit short) was very good therapy with nearly no events or flow limitation.  I don't think you need to change any settings, but you should read the positional apnea wiki and think about whether this happens when you're on your side or back.   
Welcome to the forum.

Wow, I followed what the link said. I sat down and relaxed and placed my chin on my chest. As I breathed in I did start to 'snore'. I usually sleep on my back but I do occasionally sleep on my back. When I had my sleep study done, my doc told me most of the apneas occurred when I slept on my back. I will be looking into those collars. 

Thanks, I knew joining these forums would be helpful. (I had to delete your link from your quote to be able to post my reply)
Post Reply Post Reply
In your case, even in your sleep, you had the good sense to move. As you can see in the Wiki not everyone shares that good sense. The purpose of my post was just to make you aware of it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I may have a similar situation, or perhaps something more serious, I don't know.  I've been on therapy for less than 2 months and have started using Oscar a couple of weeks ago.  I find the Oscar charts fascinating and certainly insightful as to what goes on during the night.  A typical night for me is fairly uneventful with AHI numbers from less than 1 to around 3.  This morning I was freaked out to look at the charts, and after reading this post, I wonder about positional Apnea being a possible explanation......or I've got some intermittent serious issues going on. 
I will attach 2 screen shot (one detail) from last night, and then another screenshot of what would be a "typical" night.
Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcom to the forum.

19 July, significant chin tucking/positional apnea.
17 July some chin tucking, mostly with hypopneas I wouldn't worry about this if it isn't persistent.

Both nights your flow limits are higher than I would like. Try EPR = 2 since 17 July numbers were definately good.
How often do you see nights like 19 July? If often you need a Soft Cervical collar to prevent your chin from tucking
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply Bonjour.  I have seen these series.....groups of apneas ,and breathing patterns on occasion.....like once a week maybe.... and wondered what was going on.  Upon refection, I do believe these are generally when I am in the supine position, and I could very well be tucking my chin down.  I'll order a collar and give it a try.  I'll set the EPR at 2.  I need to read more about what this setting is for.  Thank you for moderating this forum.  I have learned so much about......so much!
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR is officially a comfort feature. BUT we use it to act as Pressure Support (PS) on a BiLevel device. We are limited to values of 0,1,2,3 whereas a BiLevel can use fractional values and much higher values.

EPAP, Exhale pressure is what manages Obstructive Apnea, and somewhat also for other Obstructive events.
The difference between EPAP and IPAP, Inhale pressure is called PS or Pressure Support. This differrence is what best treats Flow Limits, RERAs, Hypopneas, UARS, and even snores. I am taking advantage of this capability to help reduce your Flow Limits. You can think of Flow Limits as part of a contimium,
Normal Breathing
Flow Limits
Hypopnea
Apnea
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 155 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New to CPAP, need help with analyze OSCAR tomakl 2 117 03-24-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: tomakl
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 154 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 146 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.