Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] New to CPAP therapy. Worried about CA events
New to CPAP therapy. Worried about CA events
I just started my therapy 10 days ago. In my sleep study, diagnosis was obstructive sleep apnea. Suggestion was 8cmH20.
I am using a resmed airsene 10 in auto mode with min pressure 4 & max 15. Since the beginning I am seeing Central Apnea Index (2.1 to 5.4) is higher than OSA index (0.0 to 0.5) also hypopnea Index (0.5 to 1.8). Number of CA events are significantly higher than OSA event.
Should I do something about this CA Index & number of events? Or is it normal at the beginning?

Though I am feeling better than earlier but still find it difficult to wake up  in the morning & feel sleepy during the day.

I have attached my sleep study report & few days APAP machine data.  

I am 5'9" and 66 Kg (if its relevant somehow).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP therapy. Worried about CA events
Welcome to the Apnea Forum

Worried about CA events,  I wouldn't be.  I'd watch and monitor them, even try and reduce them some, but worry, No.

Based on what I see in your Sleep Study Summary I would classify you as Mild Complex or Mixed Apnea, not Obstructive Apnea.  I could be wrong because an important distinction is wether or not you had Central Apneas in the diagnostic portion of your test.

I would like to see the full Sleep Study because I cannot eliminate Treatment Onset Central Apnea because while I "think" or guess that you had Central Apneas during your diagnostic portion of your Sleep Study I can not absolutly state that.  IF you had Central Apneas during your diagnostic phase it is unlikely that your CA events will go away.  If not there they will likely go away within 8 weeks assuming they are treatment emergent Central Apnea events.

To manage Central events (Complex/Mixed Apnea is a mixture of Central and Obstructive apneas) we would want to narrow the range of pressure that you see and mostly minimize pressure fluctuations.  Increasing pressure and pressure fluctiuations tend to increase Central Events.

I would suggest a pressure range of 6 - 10 cmH2O which brackets the suggested 8 cmH2O in your Sleep Study.  For treating CA this is still considered a wide range.  I would expect further changes after this.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP therapy. Worried about CA events
Thanks Fred. I will change the pressure range as your suggestion and observe
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,127 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,072 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 167 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 351 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,267 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,359 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.