Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] New to Forum and feeling worried
RE: New to Forum and feeling worried
(05-23-2018, 06:43 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:
(05-23-2018, 06:41 PM)JesseLee Wrote:
(05-23-2018, 05:57 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:  And I know that BiPAP often doesn't provide the necessary relief/support.

Shaun, 

I know what you meant to say here I believe, but BiPAP can provide more pressure support over exhale pressure relief (EPR). APAP may not provide the necessary relief/support.

Respectfully. Smile

Thanks for helping!

Wise words you have, none the less!
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate all the feedback.

I spoke with the Dr. I did ask why a bipap and not a cpap. He said that he felt that a bipap would be best for me, being that I'm overweight and that I carry my weight in my upper body. Also with the bipap it would help with my blood oxygen levels. However if I absolutely wanted to only use a cpap that would be an option as well. He also said that in patients my size and history of smoking that the bipap tends to be more comfortable. Ultimately it was up to me to decide which route I wanted to afford.
I chose bipap, because I just wasn't sure..

What are your thoughts? I've been looking at pricing and thinking I should of stuck with a cpap.

He recommended the Bipap dreamstation, I looked it up online and wow it's expensive..now I'm not sure what to do! I'm hesitant to buy used being my first one.

Also masks, how will I know what mask will work for me?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2018, 01:25 PM)Momtotwins Wrote: He recommended the Bipap dreamstation, I looked it up online and wow it's expensive..now I'm not sure what to do! I'm hesitant to buy used being my first one.

Resmed is not less expensive (or if it is, that's not by much), but it is better than Philips Respironics Dreamstation in some ways. If I were buying a bilevel machine, I would definitely go with Resmed Aircurve rather than Philips, no question.

Actually that goes for CPAP/APAP machines too, but there it's not quite as significant because the price point is "only" around $900 list down to $600 street.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2018, 01:25 PM)Momtotwins Wrote: I'm hesitant to buy used being my first one.

Supplier #2 is super-reputable and sells "gently used" machines in addition to some new ones. At the moment a "Gently Used ResMed S10 AirCurve VPAP Auto w/ Heated Humidifier" is $800 including heated hose, one-year warranty. 12 units available.
Post Reply Post Reply
Momtotwins, what city are you near? Let me know and I'll see what kind of deals are in your area.

You can use auto CPAP, but you need the Airsense 10 Autoset because it has 3-cm of pressure support. Pressure Support is the distinguishing characteristic of Bilevel (BiPAP) machines, but they can provide more PS. Pressure support is the difference between inhale and exhale pressure. So the Resmed Autoset would be a good machine. The Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto is equal to the Dreamstation BiPAP Auto. Both the Aircurve VPAP S and Philips Dreamstation BIPAP S are fixed pressure machines that provide bilevel pressure. Auto is better, but something is better than nothing. You may find one of these machines in your Craigslist, or may consider buying from Supplier #2 who offers used machines with a warranty. Here is the list of machines you should consider:
Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto (auto adjusting bilevel)
Resmed S9 VPAP Auto (same as above, prior model)
Resmed S9 or S10 VPAP S (fixed bilevel)
Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset CPAP (Auto CPAP with 3 cm PS (EPR)
Resmed S9 Autoset (same as above, prior model)
Philips Dreamstation BiPAP Auto (Auto adjusting bilevel)
Philips System One BiPAP Auto DS760 (same as above prior model)
Philips Dreamstation BiPAP Pro (fixed level bilevel)
Philips System One BiPAP Pro DS660 (same as above, prior model)
Philips Dreamstation Auto CPAP...not recommended due to no bilevel support.

Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2018, 01:25 PM)Momtotwins Wrote: Also masks, how will I know what mask will work for me?

It's pretty much not possible to know without trying one or two or three and finding what works for you (comfortable and not leaky), but you can get some good tips from the "Mask Primer", which is one of many tutorials in the wiki section "New to Apnea? Helpful tips", which all newbies should browse as much as possible.

Full-face masks cover the mouth and nose, or mouth and nostrils.  Nasal masks cover only the nose.  Nasal-pillows and nasal-cushion masks cover only the nostrils.  That last kind is the lightest and generally the easiest to put up with, but some people find that nasal pillows (which can be slightly invasive, depending on the make & model) irritate their nostrils so they have to switch to one of the other types.

The most popular nasal-pillows mask is the Resmed Airfit P10, and another one that's excellent is the Fisher & Paykel Brevida. The Philips product in that category is Dreamwear, which can be converted between nasal-cushion and nasal-pillows by changing the nosepiece.

The newest nasal masks from the big three manufacturers include the Resmed N20, the Philips Respironics Wisp, and the F&P Eson 2.

Full-face masks: Resmed, Philips, F&P.

Yeah, it is sort of overwhelming at first.  To help with that, assuming that you have time to browse & read, there is a Mask Reviews forum, with the product names in the thread titles.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would not hesitate to get the Vauto from Supplier #2. He sells used machines for 800 and they have a 1 year warranty. His used machines have less than 2000 hours and smoke and odor free. I believe they are listed as Vpap Auto vs. Vauto, but are the same.

I also know that Craigslist can be cheaper and a lot of times they are good deals.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider Wrote:Here is the list of machines you should consider:

And herein lies the problem. There are too many different types of BPAP out there, each with subtle but potentially important differences. We need to drill down a bit more to ensure we're recommending the optimal machine for Momtotwins. I don't have the in-depth knowledge of the various different types but we should be aiming for the machine that will do the job at the best price. No use buying something cheaper then finding it needs to be replaced in a few months.

JesseLee Wrote:I also know that Craigslist can be cheaper and a lot of times they are good deals.

They're only good deals if you know what you're doing and (equally as important) the seller knows what he is doing. We have a similar site here called GumTree and it's very obvious that people selling one-off machines don't have a clue what the machine is, what specific model, nor its capabilities. Once sold there's no comeback, no warranty and no ongoing support. Craiglist is fine for more experienced users but for somebody just starting out I'd say it's a risk not worth taking.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2018, 08:03 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
JesseLee Wrote:I also know that Craigslist can be cheaper and a lot of times they are good deals.

They're only good deals if you know what you're doing and (equally as important) the seller knows what he is doing. We have a similar site here called GumTree and it's very obvious that people selling one-off machines don't have a clue what the machine is, what specific model, nor its capabilities. Once sold there's no comeback, no warranty and no ongoing support. Craiglist is fine for more experienced users but for somebody just starting out I'd say it's a risk not worth taking.

I cannot disagree here. Very good point.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2018, 08:03 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
Sleeprider Wrote:Here is the list of machines you should consider:

And herein lies the problem. There are too many different types of BPAP out there, each with subtle but potentially important differences. We need to drill down a bit more to ensure we're recommending the optimal machine for Momtotwins. I don't have the in-depth knowledge of the various different types but we should be aiming for the machine that will do the job at the best price. No use buying something cheaper then finding it needs to be replaced in a few months.
I hope I'm clear on this, my recommendation would be any auto bilevel, fixed bilevel and the autoset CPAP in that order.  I'm certain than any of those choices is better than no treatment, and it's just a matter of optimizing any of those choices.  We don't even know if anything beyond CPAP is needed, just that her doctor is aware smokers and COPD patients generally do better with bilevel.  Every option suggested treats obstructive apnea and hypopnea and provides at least 3-cm of pressure support.  The bilevels can do a bit more.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,099 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 268 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 187 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 325 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 306 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.