Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] New to the CPAP thing
RE: New to the CPAP thing
(01-15-2014, 08:07 AM)broskyf Wrote: I have been diagnosed with OSA. I am going back tomorrow night for the cpap fitting.
Recommended reading/viewing http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/slee...-diagnosis

Archangle:Machine Choices http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome broskyf, I used to do that staring so know how you feel, well done on the changes to your health regime, you will need to keep it up when on your CPAP. You won't know yourself in a few months. Just be patient and be positive, this is the start of a long journey for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Broskyf, you have definitely come to the right place to have your mind put at ease.
I felt the same as you this time last week. I had my titration last Saturday night and I survived to tell the tail. I was overwhelmed by it all thinking that my life was never going to be the same again, having to wear a mask and relying on a machine every night of my life.
But after meeting all of these wonderful 'normal' people, I am realising it is by far not the worst thing that could be happening. Hang in there and stick around here. Any questions you have will be answered by the best.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to becoming a hosehead~!

I LOVE my 'dream machine'. Because of it, and creating patterns, I now fall asleep within moments of putting my mask on every single night.

Some of us are new, and some of us have been hoseheads for many years.

To be clear - this is only my opinion!!!! I would suggest doing one thing at a time. Making too many big changes at once, first off makes life very hard and you cranky. Sadly, yes, you and the booze need to part company, as going to sleep un-sober simply increases the risk of events, and lots of bad things can happen It's your call, you can of course have a drink here and there, but the last drink needs to be 6-8hrs before sleep. If you're on any meds, many have severe issues with booze - so it's either the meds, or the booze, not both.

If you can handle multiple big changes at the same time, more power to you. But I for one found it much easier to deal with one at a time, when handled, move on to the next one. Quality of life IS important! It motivates us to keep on keeping on.

For me it was a hard adjustment, but I saw huge improvements at day one.

We've all been through what you are going to go through - please keep us up to date, and we really are here for you!
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I have titration study tonight. I called the hospital and asked them if I should postpone it due to congestion from an ear infection. They said no.

I am going to go thru it tonight. I haven't had a wink of sleep since yesterday morning. I have spent all of last night standing by my dresser staring into the mirror. I am sick of it. I keep trying to lay down and then 5 mins later I am jumping out of bed gasping for air. That is how it goes all night long.

Wish me luck. I just want to be normal again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2014, 05:43 PM)Gabby Wrote: Broskyf, you have definitely come to the right place to have your mind put at ease.
I felt the same as you this time last week. I had my titration last Saturday night and I survived to tell the tail. I was overwhelmed by it all thinking that my life was never going to be the same again, having to wear a mask and relying on a machine every night of my life.
But after meeting all of these wonderful 'normal' people, I am realising it is by far not the worst thing that could be happening. Hang in there and stick around here. Any questions you have will be answered by the best.

did your tech give you any info on your sleep study titration? Glad you made it through it and hopefully, you get your machine soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2014, 07:24 AM)broskyf Wrote: I have titration study tonight. I called the hospital and asked them if I should postpone it due to congestion from an ear infection. They said no.

I am going to go thru it tonight. I haven't had a wink of sleep since yesterday morning. I have spent all of last night standing by my dresser staring into the mirror. I am sick of it. I keep trying to lay down and then 5 mins later I am jumping out of bed gasping for air. That is how it goes all night long.

Wish me luck. I just want to be normal again.

First, great luck to you~!
Second, ever try sleeping in a chair sitting up?
Third, what's with the mirror thing? If you're up extra hours, watch TV, read, game, haunt various forums, etc...

Remind yourself today... you *MUST* sleep tonight, you will be safe, and if you wake gasping (tonight), that is a good thing!

FYI? Even as a fat guy, I learned to sleep on my belly, face down into the pillow - and no gasping (this was pre-xPAP)
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep on my stomach too. I will try the chair tonight at the sleep clinic. This time tomorrow it will all be behind me hopefully. I just need to not panic with all the tubes and wires. I asked for anxiety meds but the doc would not let have anything that might change the test.
Post Reply Post Reply
The nice thing about the sleep clinic is that they aren't going to let anything bad happen to you, broskyf. The whole sleep-clinic experience felt very weird to me, and I had a lot of anxiety about whether I would be able to fall asleep (falling asleep has never been my strong suit), but I did. You will too! And then--well, one step at a time! The adjustment to a CPAP--or, now, an Auto-PAP--has taken me a long time (I got my machine in August), and for a while I was doing the jumping-out-of-bed-every-five-minutes-gasping-for-air thing you mentioned above, but I can finally say I'm a success story--or almost. Hang in there!
Post Reply Post Reply
Heads-up? They will tell you how to lay, etc... they want to see you on your back, and on your side for sure. They will be watching your O2 and all that so nothing will put you at risk.

But you gotta go with it so they can learn all that they can. Go in tired, think good thoughts - this is the beginning of getting better!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 186 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Struggling with the whole thing Billyaustin 1 374 07-23-2023, 11:20 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Does this thing work? enjoysleep59 7 2,105 04-06-2023, 12:51 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  How effective is APAP if left to do it's thing? chris94546 4 612 03-16-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: chris94546
  Is Combination Therapy PAP and Implantable Stimulation at same time a thing? kpmccue 0 436 03-31-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: kpmccue
  DME's yearly reminder (good thing I didn't have a mouth of coffee) elwoodpdowd 9 1,828 09-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Last Post: DanGagner
  I can't tell when there is pressure - good thing razormarsh 4 1,048 08-21-2019, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.