Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Newbie - Potential UARS - Advice appreciated !
Newbie - Potential UARS - Advice appreciated !
Hi All

I am new to this forum - I have suffered from fatigue/sleepiness/headaches/brain fog/GI symptoms/anxiety/depression/morning headaches and sore throat, for years, and after intensive investigations down the usual routes (endo/gastro etc) have turned up nothing, I am suspecting that SDB may be behind some of my symptoms. I am also waking up in the night with night sweats. 

I have recently done a WatchPAT home test. I am in the UK  and I am without private healthcare, which means that in absence of analysis from a qualified sleep lab any time soon, I am trying to manage this myself to improve the symptoms. 

WatchPAT results were as follows:

Total Sleep Time - 5hrs9min
% REM - 19.2%

Respiratory Indices
RDI
Total Events: 61.  REM: 16.4      NREM:10.8      All Night: 11.9

AHI: 0.2/HR

RDI: 11.9/hr (indicates airflow limitation according to report)

Minimum SpO2 94%

I am a 25 years old male, of thin/slender build.

On the back of this I have hired an APAP machine (Resmed S9), however I have not yet used it...  I think I may be in denial somewhat, and I am reluctant to use it ! 

I was hoping to get some advice on the following...
1) Based on the above, is it possible that this is UARS? Would this be consistent with my results?
2) Would the APAP i have be any use for addressing the symptoms?  If so can you recommend settings and how to best titrate this?
3) I have seen that BiPAP may be useful for treating this condition, is there likely to be any use of the APAP I have or am I best going for a BiPAP ASAP?

Thanks in advance. 
Shaun
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie - Potential UARS - Advice appreciated !
UARS cannot be reliably diagnosed by a home study. It can be treated, however, in the same manner as obstructive sleep apnea. Your high RDI and low AHI indicate that you are experiencing a large number of RERAs((Respiratory Effort-Related Arousals) A RERA is characterized by increasing respiratory effort for 10 seconds or more leading to an arousal from sleep, but one that does not fulfill the criteria for a hypopnea or apnea.  They are treated by pressure support Which is an expiratory pressure lower than inspiratory pressure. Your machine has a setting called flex which will provide pressure support up to 3cm of water pressure and may effectively treat your problem. There is no way to know without more data. I suggest you try the machine with a minimum pressure of 6, a max pressure of 15, and flex turned on at a setting of 3. Download the free OSCAR software and post a daily chart as described in the links below.  Go here https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup for the instructions to access the clinician settings for your machine. I believe your machine will detect RERAS. Have you selected a mask. Getting the right mask and adjusting it properly can be a challenge. Please read the mask primer (link below).
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Melman

Thanks for your reply. 

Thanks, I will try the machine tonight with these recommendations. Is FLEX the same as EPR? 

I have a Nasal Pillow mask, F&P Brevida - it seems to fit well and be comfortable. 

I have nearly used the CPAP a couple of times but found it really unnatural and unable to sleep, and therefore have given up and taken it off ! 

I am considering using an OTC sleep aid (diphenhydramine) to help me drift off with this tonight and to get used to it.... do you have any thoughts on if this would be detrimental to the therapy initially?

Thanks again for your help
Post Reply Post Reply
[img]blob:http://www.apneaboard.com/3e14e768-42df-4afe-890a-9236ba086582[/img]

I have also spotted this, which would suggest that the S9 auto set doesn’t track RERAs - would this mean that the machine is of no use to treat my condition? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I have also spotted an image which would suggest that the S9 auto set doesn’t track RERAs - would this mean that the machine is of no use to treat my condition? I am unable to post images or links as a new member. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are referring to the daily report shown on the machine, you are probably correct. My airsense 10 doesn’t show RERAS either. OSCAR software uses the data recorded on the SD card to determine and report much more than is shown on the screen or is available in Remed’s MyAir ap., including RERAS. The S9 should be capable of treating your condition unless more pressure support is required. We won’t know without data. Using a sleep aid should not affect your treatment. I suffer from insomnia as well as obstructive apnea and use medication for sleep every night. My APAP treatment is quite effective.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2019, 01:17 PM)SRW142 Wrote: I have also spotted an image which would suggest that the S9 auto set doesn’t track RERAs - would this mean that the machine is of no use to treat my condition? I am unable to post images or links as a new member. Thanks

RERA reporting is a new feature beginning in the AS10 series machines. With that said, the AS10 doesn't possess any additional features to treat them, it just reports that you may have had them.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry I misinformed you. I didn't know RERA reporting was new to the AS10 series.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 277 1 hour ago
Last Post: Expat31
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 952 9 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 160 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 73 1,680 Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 64 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.