Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Newby needs help interpretting data
Newby needs help interpretting data
I got my CPAP in 2009 and have used it 4 times since. I am a stomach/side sleeper so have very hard time wearing the mask. I am now dedicated to getting sleep relief and would appreciate some help with interpretting my results.

Please do not be too harsh on me for ignoring this very important issue.

I've attached a screenshot of sleepycat results from last night.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newby needs help interpretting data
Hi JDH,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
That's good that you have decided to treat your sleep apnea.
Hang in there for answers to your question regarding interpreting your data.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Trish! Looking forward to starting this process in earnest.
Post Reply Post Reply
One night of data means very little. Use it consistently for at least 10 days then look at the data as a whole.

Glad you are trying it again. There's a few masks out there that is good for side sleepers. Look at some of the nasal pillows vs a nasal mask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
JDH, Paula02, is right, you only have a few hours of one night, look at it over a couple of weeks for a start. The reason we sleep on our stomachs, and I used to is because with OSA our tongues or throats collapse and apnea's occur, by sleeping on our stomach our tongues fall forward and don't block our airways, side sleeping is similar. You may have to train yourself to try to sleep on your back more once you get the confidence that your CPAP will keep your airway open.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2013, 12:04 PM)JDH Wrote: I am a stomach/side sleeper so have very hard time wearing the mask.

Me, too. I got a special pillow designed for CPAP users, which helped some.

Then I switched from a nasal mask to a nasal pillows mask. Much, much better. I can sleep on my side or stomach and can rest the side of my head on the pillow.

The other thing I do is choose masks that allow the hose to be routed upward, between my eyes and past my forehead where it fastens with a loop of velcro to the headgear strap that goes across the top of my head. From there the hose is routed up over the top of my headboard and then down to the CPAP machine on the nightstand.

I think I developed a tendency to not sleep on my back as the years of untreated sleep apnea went by. When I was a teenager I could sleep on my back, but I can no longer do it, and I've tried.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 1,092 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,355 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,688 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 922 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 813 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Newby question Grouperman 4 716 12-07-2020, 10:38 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Hi all-newby here. which Oscar views to share? Remmy 3 707 11-09-2020, 12:53 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.