Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Newly Diagnosed. Vague results explanation
Newly Diagnosed. Vague results explanation
I'm new here so firstly, Hello. :Smile was newly diagnosed a couple days ago and am currently
waiting the 7-10 days they said before I should hear anything about the CPAP the doctor
ordered for me. I was told I have Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea. I wanted more detail so
I call the Doctor and here is what he told me:

Monitored for :  418 minutes
Was asleep for : 407 minutes
REM sleep : 93.3 minutes
Oxygen level of : 84
Respiratory events : 166

Can anyone assist me in interpreting this information in as far as actual severity? I would be
most grateful.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly Diagnosed. Vague results explanation
Welcome CAgee.

A normal oxygen level is 97-100%. When you have sleep apnea and fall asleep, the back of your throat relaxes and blocks your airway. Since air is not getting to your lungs during this time, oxygen levels in your blood drop and in your case it was measured at 84%. I suspect this was the lowest level they measured during the test. This is indeed low. Because your airway was blocked, you aroused from sleep 166 times during the night so you could breath. If you feel tired that is because you wake up on average about every 40 seconds all night long. CPAP therapy should fix this problem and then you can really sleep. Another number you might want to get from your doctor is your AHI. 0-5 is normal, 5-15 is mild sleep apnea, 15-30 is moderate and greater than 30 is severe.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2018, 11:26 AM)CAgee Wrote: I'm new here so firstly, Hello. :Smile was newly diagnosed a couple days ago and am currently
waiting the 7-10 days they said before I should hear anything about the CPAP the doctor
ordered for me. I was told I have Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea. I wanted more detail so
I call the Doctor and here is what he told me:

Monitored for :  418 minutes
Was asleep for : 407 minutes
REM sleep : 93.3 minutes
Oxygen level of : 84
Respiratory events : 166

Can anyone assist me in interpreting this information in as far as actual severity? I would be
most grateful.

Just to add a bit to the good information that Markndurham provided, I just got my in home sleep study results a week ago. I am now in the CPAP trial period. My monitored time was 433 minutes and they recorded a total of 268 events. If you convert minutes to hours and divide the events by those hours it works out to 37 events per hour. The reported my AHI index as the same 37, and classified it as severe. My minimum O2 level as lower than yours at 78%. 

If I do the same with your results I get an AHI value of 23.8 which would fall in the moderate range, not severe. So you should ask for the AHI number they got just to confirm. You should also ask for the number of each type of apnea event. The critical number is the number of CA (central apnea) events compared to OA (obstructive apnea). It sounds like yours must be high in OA as they reported it as Obstuctive Sleep Apnea. However, be careful as CPAP therapy which is likely the next step is not all that effective in lowering CA events, and in fact they may even increase. So, I would ask the doctor specifically about that to see if it may be an issue.

The other little bit of a heads up if the machine is going to be paid for with insurance is that the final classification (severe vs moderate) may become important. The insurance company, to save costs, may push you toward a fixed pressure CPAP machine rather than an auto pressure CPAP, sometimes called APAP. I would suggest you try to get the Auto CPAP. If necessary it can be set to get a fixed pressure, and overall is more flexible in how you can treat the apnea effectively over time. Your doctor can probably help you there by specifying the machine to be an Auto CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you guys! I so much appreciate you taking the time to respond and give me such great information. Any time we can learn is a great thing and I certainly did that. Thanks again!  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
A quick touch of the calculator reveals that you have a respiratory disturbance index (RDI) of 23.85. That means you have apnea, hypopnea, or respiratory-effort related arousal an average of 23.85 times an hour which is moderate. The good news is that you are about to start feeling better. CPAP therapy is an excellent way to get better sleep and I imagine you aren't happy with the way you sleep and feel the next day. Please take some time to read through the forum here. There are lots of pages of good information and people to help with any questions you may have. It is in your best interest to be as knowledgeable about CPAP therapy as you possibly can. Be ready to know what you can expect and you will have a much smoother experience.

Welcome to Apnea Board!

EDIT: you have moderate RDI, sorry for confusion
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Your AHI is approximately 23.7 =(166 events / 7 hrs)
Mine was originally 90, a year ago 70.

Ask your Dr for a full copy of the sleep study, including all the charts and not just the summary, That you want it for your records. You are entitled to this.,

Read the New to Apnea wiki article (My sig or in the top section on the forum page, and please ask questions.

You WANT a ResMed AutoSet CPAP machine period. (Exception being is you have some more complicated form of Apnea and we see no signs of that (one reason you want the full sleep study)
Post Reply Post Reply
Honestly, it helps to call the office before your doc appointment and ask them for a copy of the raw study and the report. You need that for your records, but you also want to examine it before you see the doctor so you have a chance to understand some of the info to ask intelligent questions. Otherwise, they tend to give you a BS story about that you have to wait for the doc to see your records (not true in any state!).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 364 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 58 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 386 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 181 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.