Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Not sure if a CPAP will help me
RE: Not sure if a CPAP will help me
I think you need a new sleep doctor, and a new sleep study. Maybe you could just start out with an overnight oximetry test - that's what I did, and the doctor said the results were "borderline" so ordered the overnight in-lab test which showed moderate sleep apnea. (I could have had the home test, but he said if it came back negative, they'd probably want to do an in-lab study anyway.)

BTW, I'm in my mid-60's, BMI < 20, never smoked, very light drinker, and am also a female on estrogen therapy. Little to no snoring, and no family history of sleep apnea. So I don't fit the profile either.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not sure if a CPAP will help me
(12-18-2023, 09:13 AM)Unae Wrote: Would you have been compliant under the circumstances I listed?

Is the Apnea Board run by a group with an interest in getting people to get on and stay on a CPAP machine?  Who funds this board?

I say again, if you are uncomfortable with the practitioner or the test results take proactive action-- change practitioners or re-do the tests. Denial or complaining has no value in the equation of life. Doing nothing is a valid option based upon your informed belief -- however, when it comes to medical issues, doing nothing is a probabilistic crap shoot. 

As for my personal opinion, it is irrelevant as I do not know you, your medical condition, your medical history, or the environment in which you function. 

When I was skeptical and had reason to doubt test results, I asked that they be repeated.  On two occasions, I have replaced practitioners who I felt were insufficiently interested in my problems and were rushing through their day. 

I am primarily data-driven, but I am mindful of others with more education and/or experience who can fill in the gaps in my knowledge. This forum has been helpful in providing supplemental analysis, options for equipment and accessories, and general situational advice. They have both my gratitude and support with voluntary donations. I have never felt pressured to accept community advice nor felt that there was any ulterior motive other than to provide support to the community. 

It would be nice if I could get off my CPAP machine, but many cases of OSA, COPD, and other underlying issues make CPAP use a continuing fact of life. To my knowledge, nobody outside of device manufacturers and DMEs has an incentive or "interest in getting people to get on and stay on a CPAP machine."

Wishing you the best -- Steve
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.