Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Nyquil effects on sleep study-Help
Nyquil effects on sleep study-Help
I recently had a sleep study and I was afraid I would not be able to sleep so I took Nyquil to help. My study revealed a total of 190 arousals with 71 obstructive apneas, 7 central and 2 mixed. Now I'm wondering if Nyquil affected my study? Does anyone know how this medication might have affected this study?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nyquil effects on sleep study-Help
That indicates very severe apnea. Even if the Nyquil affected your apnea, the diagnosis is correct because normal people don't react like that. If you search the site, you'll find alcohol has a negligible to slight affect on most of our apnea when we use the CPAPs. You clearly have OSA, and it doesn't affect the next step which is to either titrate your pressure or issue an Auto CPAP for self-titration.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Medication can affect your sleep, and thus your sleep study - in particular medications that have a depressant or relaxing effect. Nyquil combines an antihistamine with some alcohol (the equivalent of about 1/4 of a shot) and pain reliever to help achieve this effect and allow you to sleep through your cold symptoms.

With that said, I don't believe that Nyquil would have relaxed you to the point of being solely responsible for your 71 OA's. It may have swayed the results slightly but not significantly. Now, if you had combined the Nyquil with lots of alcoholic beverages or other drugs, I would be more suspicious. But, it sounds to me like you have a positive diagnosis for sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Sleeprider. Note also that Nyquil also contains antihistamines that such as Doxylamine or Diphenhydramine that are sedative.
If the study showed a large number of central apneas, then one might possibly say Nyquil was a factor. With such a large number of Obstructive Apneas (OA), you need to be on PAP.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Or maybe we should ask, how much Nyquil? Rolleyes

My answer might be different if you polished off the bottle.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2016, 06:29 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Or maybe we should ask, how much Nyquil? Rolleyes

My answer might be different if you polished off the bottle.

I only took one Nyquil, I don't drink or take any drugs. Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I only took one Nyquil, I don't drink or take any drugs. Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just having a little fun with you Vanessa. So what's next? Any questions?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I will sleep tonight for the first time with the device and I'm sure I will have questions. I guess I was hoping that maybe I didn't have sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think most of us go through a bit of denial once it hits home that we're going to be sleeping with a mask, but you might find that it's easier than you think. I was literally used to my device after a couple of nights and felt so much better during the day that I never looked back.

And when/if you encounter difficulty, you will learn how to make your therapy comfortable and troubleshoot problems on your own with the help of this board. Most of the folks here are a great help. Whatever you do, just don't give up on it!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 244 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 534 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 192 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 66 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.