Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Nyquil effects on sleep study-Help
RE: Nyquil effects on sleep study-Help
(01-08-2016, 06:33 PM)Vanessa2010 Wrote:
(01-08-2016, 06:29 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: My answer might be different if you polished off the bottle.

I only took one Nyquil, I don't drink or take any drugs. Thanks for your help.

Well, Nyquil contains drugs, so you did take a drug, actually drugs. They are available over the counter but they are still drugs.

Thing is the actual formula may vary from country to country. In Canada Nyquill contains Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide, which is a sedative and cough suppressant (suppresses the "cough control center" in your brain), as well as Acetaminophen and a small amount of one of first generation antihistamines. Other countries may use different formulas and the formulations have changed over the decades.

The cough suppressant can induce Central Apneas but you had a lot of Obstructive ones. The relaxation induced by the sedation can also slightly exacerbate obstructive apneas by relaxing your respiratory track muscles, but not to the extent that it would make much difference with the rate you were having them.

I agree with the others, your test is definitive and you have sleep apnea which needs treatment. Untreated apnea can take ten or twenty years off your lifespan and ruin the quality of your life.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:My study revealed a total of 190 arousals with 71 obstructive apneas, 7 central and 2 mixed.

...over what period of time? The total number over the night is not a true measure unless we also know how long you slept. It's the index which is important, defined as the number of events per hour.

You had a total of 270 apneas (and presumably there were also hypopneas?). If you slept for 5 hours your apnea index (AI) would be 270 / 5 = 54, which is severe apnea. Over 10 hours it would be 270 / 10 = 27, which is borderline between moderate and severe.

Either way, you do have apnea and the use of a PAP machine will likely treat it satisfactorily. Don't expect miracles on your first night - your body will need to adapt to a new way of breathing, with a plastic alien strapped to your face. Shock You may initially have trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep, but that gets better with practice. Don't try and force the pace - just take it as it comes - and in no time you'll be feeling much more alert, less fatigued. You'll start noticing that early morning headache has gone. And if you currently need multiple toilet breaks during the night, these will also largely disappear.

Good luck! Don't forget to come back and tell us how it's going.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Vanessa2010,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Total sleep time was 329.5 minutes with a total of 60.5 minutes of wakefulness after sleep onset. Thanks guys for your support, best sleep this weekend with device, like you said it will take time getting use to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The results should scare you IMO. Anytime you take medication that makes you drowsy, or if you are extremely sleepy, or if you like alcohol, etc. etc. you are not breathing over once a minute every hour.

There are a lot of stories of people with severe OSA who worked out in the garden, etc., got extremely tired, took a nap without their CPAP by accident, and never woke up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2016, 10:47 AM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote: There are a lot of stories of people with severe OSA who worked out in the garden, etc., got extremely tired, took a nap without their CPAP by accident, and never woke up.

Got any evidence for this claim? It seems like an extraordinary one to me so you'd need some exceptionally strong evidence to convince me. Like for example a whole bunch of studies from peer reviewed journals that make these findings, or a death certificate or fifty marked "failure to use CPAP device on day" as a cause of death.

Forgive me if I suspect you were making this up. After all, 90 percent of statistics are made up on the spot and 88.99876% of them show false precision.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2016, 02:14 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(01-11-2016, 10:47 AM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote: There are a lot of stories of people with severe OSA who worked out in the garden, etc., got extremely tired, took a nap without their CPAP by accident, and never woke up.

Got any evidence for this claim? It seems like an extraordinary one to me so you'd need some exceptionally strong evidence to convince me. Like for example a whole bunch of studies from peer reviewed journals that make these findings, or a death certificate or fifty marked "failure to use CPAP device on day" as a cause of death.

Forgive me if I suspect you were making this up. After all, 90 percent of statistics are made up on the spot and 88.99876% of them show false precision.

Welp I read a lot of articles with examples like that shown. I'm not making any scientific or medical claims. From stories I had read online, that theme did recur over and over again.

Mostly they were claims of bereaved spouses and relatives. Might be BS, but I have seen warning from medical professionals concerning warnings against depressants from OSA sufferers.

My point was just that from a personal viewpoint, I'd be concerned that I had extremely severe apnea when taking depressants like Nyquil or sleep aids, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2016, 02:23 PM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote:
(01-11-2016, 02:14 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Forgive me if I suspect you were making this up. After all, 90 percent of statistics are made up on the spot and 88.99876% of them show false precision.

Welp I read a lot of articles with examples like that shown. I'm not making any scientific or medical claims. From stories I had read online, that theme did recur over and over again.

So you are saying this is anecdotal evidence not based on any science. OK.

Quote:Mostly they were claims of bereaved spouses and relatives. Might be BS,

Well if they aren't you are saying that someone who survived years or decades of sleep apnea every night and then got treated was killed by sleep apnea when they took a single nap without it. Doesn't sound very likely to me. If anything proper treatment, my common sense says, would make you healthier and more able to survive a night without treatment.

Quote:but I have seen warning from medical professionals concerning warnings against depressants from OSA sufferers.

Sure, that's true. But once you have your apnea under control on an *PAP machine that will be less damaging so long as you keep the clear airway apneas under control. One sleep therapist I talked to said that to me. I take sleeping pills, but I am also on supplemental oxygen and have very low under treatment even with the pills. No doubt my sleep quality would be better if I could get to sleep without the pills, and I'm hoping one day that will happen. But some sleep is better than no sleep at all..

Quote:My point was just that from a personal viewpoint, I'd be concerned that I had extremely severe apnea when taking depressants like Nyquil or sleep aids, etc.

Except the OP didn't know he had sleep apnea when he did the study. Using depressants to sleep is bad and even dangerous if you have untreated sleep apnea. That's uncontroversial but I don't think that's what the thread is about.

It's unlikely that a couple of Benadryl would cause the level of apnea he showed on the test. They wouldn't help it, but they wouldn't be the primary cause, which is what the OP was asking about if I recall rightly.
And you do need to get some sleep during the study so they can diagnose you properly.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
You're right, I didn't know I had sleep apnea. I went to the MD for nightmares which I thought were caused by my blood pressure medications. Since I had been having difficulty falling asleep I took one Nyquil tablet. Now of course I will be wearing my CPAP nightly and after three nights I feel better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hang in there, Vanessa - I was a lot like you - in denial with an AHI of 67! It gets better as you get used to it.

Finding the most comfortable mask is probably the most important part. Several of our listed vendors will allow you a 30-day mask trial -
one of my friends has gone through 12 masks! But find at least two that you like - because there will be nights you can't stand your primary
mask and need something different.

You will be amazed at how much better you sleep and how much better you feel, given time. For me, I no longer want to even take a nap without
my CPAP - otherwise I wake up with a headache!

Best wishes on your journey, and remember we are here to help - we've been down this same road.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 74 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.