Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] OSA or NOT OSA? (CPAP or MANDIBULAR DEVICE+)?
Sad 
OSA or NOT OSA? (CPAP or MANDIBULAR DEVICE+)?
Hello Forum Members,
I am 80 in November and have suffered (or rather my wife has suffered!) with snoring every night and feeling sleep deprived for quite a few years now.
It is five years or so since I had a sleep test; the result: I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. I was prescribed the Resmed S9 Escape CPAP and Respironics Full Face Mask.
I have struggled since, trying to sleep adequately with this CPAP and Respironics FF Masks of different designs, my wife still unable to tolerate my snoring. Some months ago, having become impatient with the need to sleep in bed longer and longer, feeling tired, dizzy and heavy headed during each and every day, I tried sleeping without the use of anything, no CPAP, nothing.
I DIDN'T EXPERIENCE ANY DIFFERENCE IN MY CONDITION apart from the volume of my snoring. This lead me to question whether my problem was due to apnea or some other breathing disorder.

Three months ago, I decided to buy a mandibular adjustment device, a reasonably priced lower jaw adjustment mouthpiece.
SPECTACULARLY, THIS DEVICE CURED MY SLEEP PROBLEM COMPLETELY! My wife said (from the spare bedroom!) that she did not hear me snoring at all, I awoke the first morning after wearing it, three hours earlier than I had normally been doing, absolutely transformed. No, I am not promoting it's name, but I was completely won over, and stopped using my CPAP straight away.
Unfortunately though, after about a week of feeling great, my mouth started to fall open, and my snoring and other ill effects started again due to my breathing through my mouth, the air bypassing the device through the restricted airspace of my throat.
I then started to look for something to help my mouth stay closed, and discovered the chin strap. Again unfortunately, having tried three different types to no avail (To weak to hold my jaw in position whilst wearing the mouthpiece.
This is when I discovered the Apnea Board Forum. I asked a personal question to me50 and he very kindly sent me some very useful ideas regarding chin straps. I bought another one which he recommended and this one is very promising.
It was now time for me to re-visit the Sleep Clinic about my progress. The information here is rather limited to OSA and CPAP, so they asked me to take part in a trial using a Resmed S9 Autoset which I am currently half way through. Results to date are (over 10 days) average AHI of 5.2, Pressure 11.8, Leak 42L/Min and as this suggests, a mask that leaks a lot!
This morning I took delivery of an oxymeter I have bought [/size][/font]to gather data which the sleep clinic told me was the next step. This data will be presented with the S9 Autoset on my return visit to the sleep clinic on 7th July.
Failing any help from them, I shall resume my mandibular device use with chin strap and keep my fingers crossed. My wife and I are going away for a special anniversary holiday for three weeks in September. I need a solution by then.
Has anyone out there experienced anything similar to me please, or have any information which could be of help in ensuring that my September deadline is met?

Thank you for reading this essay, and apologies for it's length.
Thank you also for any help.
Eric Wood.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSA or NOT OSA? (CPAP or MANDIBULAR DEVICE+)?
Hi ericwood992,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know much about the mandibular devices you mentioned.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep. sounds like you got some really good results from chin strap and the mandibular device.

longevity of oral device effectiveness - my question is if the device kind of wears in, you get used to it, and does the snoring reoffend? I recall having read that you must continue to adjust the advancement of the device to gradually re-contour your airway.

apnea? - Sometimes the apnea and snoring, though both happening, are coincidental. Some snorers do not have apnea, but most obstructive apnea patients are snorers. I wonder if maybe both solutions are going to end up being your real outcome.

you won't want apnea or snoring to keep robbing you of quality of life.

good luck with each therapy, and hope you have a great get away.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it would be helpful to see your sleep study results with your personal information removed if you have it or can get it. I also think that you should check into keeping the machine if the results show improvement in your sleep because the repercussions untreated apnea it's not one that I think you would like to happen.

it would be nice if you have a machine to take with you in September when you go on your trip
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2015, 06:50 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi ericwood992,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know much about the mandibular devices you mentioned.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you.

Thank you Trish! Re mandibular devices, you know, the Snoreeze type device you just put in your mouth.
Good luck to you.
Eric.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2015, 12:34 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: Yep. sounds like you got some really good results from chin strap and the mandibular device.

longevity of oral device effectiveness - my question is if the device kind of wears in, you get used to it, and does the snoring reoffend? I recall having read that you must continue to adjust the advancement of the device to gradually re-contour your airway.

apnea? - Sometimes the apnea and snoring, though both happening, are coincidental. Some snorers do not have apnea, but most obstructive apnea patients are snorers. I wonder if maybe both solutions are going to end up being your real outcome.

you won't want apnea or snoring to keep robbing you of quality of life.

good luck with each therapy, and hope you have a great get away.

QAL

Hi QAL,
I think you are probably correct on all counts! But my Snoreeze device has plenty of adjustment available. Hoping for the best and keeping everything crossed!
Best of luck/
Eric.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2015, 12:53 AM)me50 Wrote: I think it would be helpful to see your sleep study results with your personal information removed if you have it or can get it. I also think that you should check into keeping the machine if the results show improvement in your sleep because the repercussions untreated apnea it's not one that I think you would like to happen.

it would be nice if you have a machine to take with you in September when you go on your trip

Hello me50,
Firstly, thank you for all your help privately. I am glad I took your advice and entered the Forum (now that I have succeeded!).
I will try to get a copy of my original sleep report (I guess this is the one you mean?) and post the results after my next visit to the clinc. I still have the S9 Escape which I can take away in September, and if I DO have apnea, I will make sure it is treated correctly. My main concern though, as already stated, is to feel well and alert during the day. I would think that if I achieved this with my Snoreeze (as before) and with the chin strap, it would suggest my apnea if any is under control?
Thanks again for all your much appreciated help!
Kind regards,
Eric.
Post Reply Post Reply
How long have you been using the S9 Auto? How do you feel during the day since you use the S9 Auto? The Escape has been replaced and the technology of the S9 has improved over the S8. I am curious as to why they have you trialing an S9 Auto but have you on a set pressure.

I think that you should download Sleepyhead and import the information from the S9 SD card and take a look at the information and you can post the information here so we can help you out.

I am not a doctor BUT I suspect that you probably do have apnea and that some of your problems have to do with mask leaks which affects your sleep time. If we could see the data from your SD card, even just one night's sleep, we could offer you better help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2015, 08:42 AM)me50 Wrote: How long have you been using the S9 Auto? How do you feel during the day since you use the S9 Auto? The Escape has been replaced and the technology of the S9 has improved over the S8. I am curious as to why they have you trialing an S9 Auto but have you on a set pressure.

I think that you should download Sleepyhead and import the information from the S9 SD card and take a look at the information and you can post the information here so we can help you out.

I am not a doctor BUT I suspect that you probably do have apnea and that some of your problems have to do with mask leaks which affects your sleep time. If we could see the data from your SD card, even just one night's sleep, we could offer you better help.

I have been using the S9 Auto Set for 11 nights now.
I feel very little better, and certainly a LOT worse than when I first used the Snoreeze mouthpiece.
The S9 Autoset is set to adjust the pressure automatically between min 4 and max 20. The actual pressure it is recording is 11.8
I have downloaded Sleepyhead and taken my SD card from the CPAP, but the software programme warns me about inseting it without writing Protect CPAP (Quote: ALWAYS write protect CPAP SDCards before inserting them into your computer). Where do I write this?

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2015, 11:54 AM)ericwood992 Wrote:
(06-20-2015, 08:42 AM)me50 Wrote: How long have you been using the S9 Auto? How do you feel during the day since you use the S9 Auto? The Escape has been replaced and the technology of the S9 has improved over the S8. I am curious as to why they have you trialing an S9 Auto but have you on a set pressure.

I have been using the S9 Auto Set for 11 nights now.
I feel very little better, and certainly a LOT worse than when I first used the Snoreeze mouthpiece.
The S9 Autoset is set to adjust the pressure automatically between min 4 and max 20. The actual pressure it is recording is 11.8
I have downloaded Sleepyhead and taken my SD card from the CPAP, but the software programme warns me about inseting it without writing Protect CPAP (Quote: ALWAYS write protect CPAP SDCards before inserting them into your computer). Where do I write this?

on the side of your SD card there is a place where you can push the lock position. I think to do this you slide it toward the bottom of the SD card. Don't forget to unlock it before you put it back in your machine. To verify you unlocked it after you take it out of your computer and put it back in the machine it should say reading SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,035 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 973 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Replacement Device and Leaks jtardo 3 363 01-15-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  New Device Looking for Insite. Jesmitty88 3 404 12-09-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question [Equipment] BEFORE YOU TRUST ANY COMMERCIAL NON-FDA DEVICE srlevine1 0 326 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [News] INGESTIBLE MIT DEVICE TO DETECT OSA? srlevine1 1 352 11-20-2023, 12:12 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] Where can I get this type of Boil-and-bite Mandibular Advancement Splint / MAD? selfhelpdevice 1 307 11-13-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.