Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

VPAP vs VPAP Auto
VPAP vs VPAP Auto
Just got a S9 VPAP Auto after using a System One BiPAP. With the BiPAP I was getting AHI of between .11 and 1. The first day with the Auto I get 2.61. I also get a ton more info with the S9. Is it unusual to start off higher? And is that a bad first day? This machine is silent and the pressure more comfortable. I was getting leaks around my eyes every night before. This one nothing.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: VPAP vs VPAP Auto
Usually the Auto machines do start with a lower pressure and increase as needed. This is part of why you are seeing less leaks and find it more comfortable. Also each manufacturer has a different way of responding to inhale and exhale cycles. Your 2.61 AHI is within the generally acceptable range. The important thing is how you feel in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2013, 09:28 PM)tomko44 Wrote: Just got a S9 VPAP Auto after using a System One BiPAP. With the BiPAP I was getting AHI of between .11 and 1. The first day with the Auto I get 2.61. I also get a ton more info with the S9. Is it unusual to start off higher? And is that a bad first day?

Hi tomko44, welcome to the forum!

Your minimum pressure setting is just 4. I would suggest raising that to your median EPAP (exhale) pressure, or perhaps up to a few cmH2O below the 95 percentile EPAP pressure.

The problem with a "wide open" pressure range is the pressure will occasionally slowly drift way too low, perhaps resulting in additional obstructive events. This may be most of the reason for your higher AHI with the VPAP Auto. Another reason may be differences in criteria for when/how ResMed versus Philips Respironics score events.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2013, 06:01 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(08-16-2013, 09:28 PM)tomko44 Wrote: Just got a S9 VPAP Auto after using a System One BiPAP. With the BiPAP I was getting AHI of between .11 and 1. The first day with the Auto I get 2.61. I also get a ton more info with the S9. Is it unusual to start off higher? And is that a bad first day?

Your minimum pressure setting is just 4. I would suggest raising that to your median EPAP (exhale) pressure, or perhaps up to a few cmH2O below the 95 percentile EPAP pressure.

The problem with a "wide open" pressure range is the pressure will occasionally slowly drift way too low, perhaps resulting in additional obstructive events. This may be most of the reason for your higher AHI with the VPAP Auto. Another reason may be differences in criteria for when/how ResMed versus Philips Respironics score events.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
I set the EPAP min to 9 and will see what happens. Had another 2+ night, but a bunch were false as I was not asleep, I was in bed but didn't shut off the machine when I awoke.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2013, 07:02 PM)tomko44 Wrote:
(08-17-2013, 06:01 PM)vsheline Wrote:

Take care,
--- Vaughn
I set the EPAP min to 9 and will see what happens. Had another 2+ night, but a bunch were false as I was not asleep, I was in bed but didn't shut off the machine when I awoke.

After raising the EPAP to 9 the AHI dropped down to .98. So your suggestion worked perfectly!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,233 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 314 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS TryingToGetItRight 7 635 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: McDee
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 596 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 2,999 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  Quick question for anyone with AirCurve 10 VPAP njf1525 4 628 08-01-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: njf1525

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.