Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Please help me understand my sleep study results
Please help me understand my sleep study results
Hi everyone,
I'm new here. Diagnosed in December. I requested a copy of my sleep study results. The doctor mailed them to me, but I don't really have any idea what they mean. I thought I was on a CPAP but I guess I'm actually on an APAP. The medical supply store had just fitted me for a mask, showed me how to operate the machine, and sent me on my way. I had a 60-day follow-up with my pulmonologist and she was very happy with my results based on the exported MyAir data, but I still think I could be sleeping way better.

I've been on APAP therapy for almost 3 months now. I do have an SD card in my machine, and I have imported it into Oscar, but have no idea how to make heads or tails of that data either. I'm thinking I may need to adjust my pressure (higher), but before I ask for help interpreting my Oscar data, I figure I should understand the results of my sleep study first.

I believe the stuff I'm using will show by my name when I post, but if not, I have a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, and am using a Philips Respironics DreamWear Full Face Cushion (it doesn't go over my nose, so I'm not sure why it's called full face though).

I tried to attach a copy of my sleep study results, but it said the file type wasn't allowed. (It was a PDF.) So then I uploaded the file to Google Drive, and tried to post the link, and got the error that new members need to make 4 posts before they can post a link. How can I attach my sleep study to my post?

Thank you in advance!!!  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help me understand my sleep study results
Welcome! Please post your Oscar charts it is the only way we can see what is happening. Look at my link at the bottom of the post for setting up your charts and use F 12 for the screenshot
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Your Oscar user-name can be your forum name. Anyway, the screenshot function (F12) does not show your user name if it is your real name. You really got the best auto-CPAP on the market and as a result, we should be able to help you optimize your therapy for good comfort and efficacy. Welcome to the Apnea Board.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You should be able to upload a scan of your sleep study. Be sure to cover over any personal information before you post it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2021, 04:55 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Welcome! Please post your Oscar charts it is the only way we can see what is happening. Look at my link at the bottom of the post for setting up your charts and use F 12 for the screenshot

Thank you, I will do that now!

(05-01-2021, 06:17 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your Oscar user-name can be your forum name. Anyway, the screenshot function (F12) does not show your user name if it is your real name. You really got the best auto-CPAP on the market and as a result, we should be able to help you optimize your therapy for good comfort and efficacy. Welcome to the Apnea Board.

They are both the same. Smile And I hope so! Being so exhausted is ruining my life!

(05-01-2021, 06:38 PM)Dormeo Wrote: You should be able to upload a scan of your sleep study. Be sure to cover over any personal information before you post it.

I scanned the results into my computer, redacted all of my personal info, and saved it as a PDF. That's the file that I tried to upload with my post, but it wouldn't let me because it said the file type isn't allowed. Do I need to convert it to a PNG, a JPEG, or something else?
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, I figured it out! While I go work on organizing my Oscar data properly... Here's my sleep study.

[attachment=31912]
[attachment=31913]
[attachment=31914]
[attachment=31915]
[attachment=31916]
[attachment=31917]
Post Reply Post Reply
PNG is what works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Apnea Circus,

I myself didn't notice anything other than vanilla Obstructive Apnea & Hypopnea events. Oxygen drops were not bad, rarely under 90. An AutoSet like yours ought to do well after a few tweaks, if necessary. We'll just need to see OSCAR to see where you're at on the therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some things that stand out to me:

Your obstructive apneas occur during REM sleep.
You have a lot of hypopneas.
You have no problems with central apneas.
You have some periodic limb movements.
You experience a fair amount of arousal (waking up), some of it related to respiratory effort, and some not.
You sleep on your back a lot.

You can look up all the technical terms in the wiki: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Wiki_Home

You had a gold-standard sleep test, resulting in a diagnosis of moderate obstructive sleep apnea. If there's any way you can learn to sleep on your sides, I think that will help you get better sleep.

But let's take a look at a typical Oscar daily chart. Please show the left panel and fit these graphs into a single screen shot:

Events
Flow rate
Pressure
Leaks
Snores
Flow limitations.

You can grab the gray bars that separate the graphs and push them up to squeeze things in. There is no need to provide other graphs.

One thing you didn't mention in your original post: are you feeling any more rested with PAP than you did without it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, so here's my Oscar data from last night. I'm not sure if it's indicative of a typical night, though. Usually I sleep straight through the night, but for some reason last night I took the mask off some time after 5am, and I remember waking up around 6 and putting it back on. When I imported last night's data into Oscar, it also said the following:

The last time you used your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet...
was last night (on Friday, April 30, 2021)

Your machine was on for 8 hours, 23 minutes and 7 seconds.
You had an AHI of 0.83, which is over your 7 day average of 0.24.
Your pressure was under 9.48 cmH2O for 95% of the time.
Your average leaks were 58.63 L/min, which is over your 7 day average of 5.39.

So maybe I will need to choose a different night, lol

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 145 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.