Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Please help me understand my sleep study results
RE: Please help me understand my sleep study results
It's funny, we keep criss-crossing! Could you reformat the chart a little per my previous post?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2021, 09:19 PM)Dormeo Wrote: It's funny, we keep criss-crossing!  Could you reformat the chart a little per my previous post?

Yeah! My laptop screen is pretty small which is why I thought it would be better to do 3 graphs on each screenshot. Here's one with everything on one screen.

It's funny, before treatment I remember waking up constantly in a side(ish) position. I would be on my stomach, head turned to the side, arms stuck up under the pillow, with my hips twisted completely to the side and the leg I'm lying on straight out, and the one on top hiked up toward my chest as far as it would go. And when I first lie down and get comfortable to fall asleep, I lie on my side as well, with my knees slightly bent and with my arms squished up against my chest (kinda like a T-rex). I have a really large chest, and sometimes I think that position puts pressure on my lungs. I'm surprised the study says I mostly slept on my back! Now, because of the headgear I have (hose comes in at the top of my head and air goes down the sides of my face), I've been trying to make a conscious effort to raise my pillows/head as I sleep, and sleep on my back, because I feel like sleeping on my side compresses one side of the headgear and restricts the airflow. I guess that's why they make special pillows for PAP users... Should I look into one of those?

As for still feeling tired... it was a huge difference at first, and I'm definitely not as tired as I was before, but I do still feel tired. I'm also still struggling with going to bed at a decent hour (and I do work 5 days a week and have to get up around 6:30, so I can't sleep in and I'm losing sleep if I don't get to bed on time), but I'm not sure if that's because of the years of negative association my brain has unknowingly associated with sleep, or because of the current stress in my life and/or my ADD, lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
The theory of the kind of mask you're using is that it doesn't matter at all if you lie on your side. The air pressure will be maintained even if one side is a little constricted -- the other side makes up for it. So don't worry about that.

Lying on your back, and using a high pillow, may actually be counterproductive. The reason is this can create a little bit of restriction in your airway, which makes snores, flow limitations, and even apneas easier to crop up. So you might try lying on your side with a lower pillow, if that's reasonable comfortable for you.

You've put your finger on something important about your routine. A consistent bedtime is one of the things that can really help you feel more rested. It sounds a little corny, but try doing something relaxing as you get to within around 30 minutes of what should be your bedtime. Warm bath? A little meditation? Some stretching? No screens!

Your snores and flow limitations are by no means horrible, but I would suggest you tweak your settings to see if they can be reduced some. Try raising your minimum to 7. I don't think you'll mind this; it's where your pressure is a fair amount of the time anyhow. With a minimum of 7, you can enjoy the full benefits of your EPR of 3. (Your pressure drops by 3 cmH2O when you exhale. But the lowest the machine can go is 4.) One of those benefits may be to reduce flow limitations. Worth a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
All the OSCAR stats look very good despite running default wide open pressures. Do you know if you're using EPR, AKA Exhale Pressure Relief? If not, consider adding it in, EPR 3 Full Time along with one pressure edit, Min from 4 to 7 to give EPR some room to maneuver.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You both mentioned EPR. I’m not sure how to turn that on. So I should adjust my pressure to 7-20 instead of 4-20? Does that automatically adjust the EPR too?

And I know... my sleep habits are horrendous. I’ve always struggled with routine due to the ADD. I’m on the base dose of my meds (Vyvanse, 30mg) and I’m going to ask my doctor to up it to the recommended dose (50mg) and see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not have your machine but I believe you set EPR in the Clinicians menu
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2021, 10:43 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I do not have your machine but I believe you set EPR in the Clinicians menu

Thanks! I'll adjust those settings and report back tomorrow!

Should I keep the max pressure at 20? Just adjust the minimum from 4 to 7?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes the max will only go up enough to stop the obstructive apnea.  It probably will not get any higher that it did last time
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
@ Undeadwolf - I do have your exact machine.

When you start your machine go to the Home screen (the home button is in the middle of the machine at the very bottom. You will see a screen prompt saying MY Options. Click on it and you will see a list of options that pertain to your machine. EPR is one of those options.

To reset your pressures, press the Home button and the big dial at the same time and HOLD. You will go to the Clinician settings. As you scroll through them you will see your pressure settings. I would not presume to tell you which setting you need, but that is how to get to the adjustment. After you are done, go back to the Home screen.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for mentioning it clownbell. I'll be doing this same thing Tuesday when I pick up my AutoSet after suspiciously being demoted from ASV. I'll need to get in and activate EPR as well as edit my settings which they part is similar to my ASV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.