Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Pulse Oximeter reading
Pulse Oximeter reading
Hi,

I was diagnosed in 2007 with sleep apnea and was using a CPAP for a while but didn't like the face mask. Would pull it off in the middle of the night.

Ended up using a TAP device that pulls the jaw forward however developed jaw pain because of it.

Last night I used a pulse oximeter to take a reading without CPAP or TAP device.

I'm trying to figure out if I should start using the CPAP again or not.

What is the ideal Sp02 range one should achieve during the night? My TAP doc says you want to stay above 96 for the most part. I went into the 80s a few times. My pulse is running in the high 70s and low 80s during the night. Is this any indication of distress on my body?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pulse Oximeter reading
I must add that my Sp02 for the most of the night was between 90-94.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is much more to sleep quality than PSAO2.
PSAO2 is important; but not the whole picture.
You could still have multiple arousals that you are not aware of that prevent you from getting the deep restorative sleep required.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi melani4jc,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Anything above 90 is good. If you are showing downward spikes often, even for a few minutes, that is an indication of an apnoea event, in most likelihood. Your pulse sounds a wee bit fast for sleeping, but that needs to be measured against your daytime average as well,your age, your weight, etc. However, all things being equal and your being middle aged or lower, and your heart relatively healthy and you are not shipping 130 kilos of weight or more, you should see your pulse lower at least to the 60 and maybe, depending on your normal resting rate, the low 70s at best. At this point, given the readings you mentioned, I would make an appointment with your doc, and yes, consider the CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all your responses! My age is 52 and my weight is 228. I went through breast cancer several years ago and am just now getting back into walking again. I've lost 12 pounds since October of last year. I've read about how sleep apnea results in the inability to lose weight. That is why I went to the oral TAP device. However, the pain in my jaw is pretty bad so I'd rather go back to the CPAP again and try and stick it out.

I was a little concerned about the rate of my pulse during sleep as well.

Again, thank you for the info.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2014, 12:50 PM)melani4jc Wrote: Thanks for all your responses! My age is 52 and my weight is 228. I went through breast cancer several years ago and am just now getting back into walking again. I've lost 12 pounds since October of last year. I've read about how sleep apnea results in the inability to lose weight. That is why I went to the oral TAP device. However, the pain in my jaw is pretty bad so I'd rather go back to the CPAP again and try and stick it out.

I was a little concerned about the rate of my pulse during sleep as well.

Again, thank you for the info.

I believe sleep quality is related to insulin resistance. Even with normal blood sugar levels, sleep apnea can increase circulating insulin levels. And, insulin is a fat storage hormone. Cortisol is likely also involved.

I can see my pulse rate decline during the night to a low of about 50 BPM. (I am however on a Beta Blocker.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 80 Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 24,921 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 64 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 20 930 03-08-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 134 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 181 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 659 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.