Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] FAT TONGUES
FAT TONGUES
To help motivate those New Year's diet resolutions or habit-building...
I wonder how long it will be before the scammers develop the "Tongue Diet" or "Tongue Reduction Surgery?"
For the "talkers" among us, we can now say that we are exercising to lessen our OSA symptoms when speaking.  

Quote:Effect of Weight Loss on Upper Airway Anatomy and the Apnea Hypopnea Index: The Importance of Tongue Fat

Abstract

Rationale: Obesity is the primary risk factor for sleep apnea (OSA). Tongue fat is increased in obese persons with OSA, and may explain the relationship between obesity and OSA. Weight loss improves OSA, but the mechanism is unknown.

Objectives: To determine the effect of weight loss on UA anatomy in persons with obesity and OSA. We hypothesized that weight loss would decrease soft tissue volumes and tongue fat and these changes would correlate with reductions in apnea-hypopnea index (AHI).

Methods: Sixty-seven individuals with obesity and OSA (AHI≥10 events/hour) underwent a sleep study and UA and abdominal magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) before and after a weight loss intervention (intensive lifestyle modification or bariatric surgery). Airway sizes and soft tissue, tongue fat, and abdominal fat volumes were quantified. Associations between weight loss and changes in these structures, and relationships to AHI changes, were examined.

Measurements and Main Results: Weight loss was significantly associated with reductions in tongue fat, pterygoid and total lateral wall volumes. Reductions in tongue fat were strongly correlated with reductions in AHI (rho=0.62, p<0.0001); results remained after controlling for weight loss (rho=0.37, p=0.014). Mediation analyses indicated that reduction in tongue fat volume was the primary mediator of the relationship between weight loss and AHI improvement.

Conclusions: Weight loss reduced volumes of several UA soft tissues in persons with obesity and OSA. Improved AHI with weight loss was mediated by reductions in tongue fat. New treatments that reduce tongue fat should be considered for patients with OSA.

https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201903-0692OC 

Shy
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: FAT TONGUES
Of course we know that we should not be overweight. But I wonder if tongue exercises would help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: FAT TONGUES
(01-10-2020, 09:40 PM)RNeil Wrote: Of course we know that we should not be overweight. But I wonder if tongue exercises would help.
It has been studied to some extent, but I do not see anything that would be useful in a cursory scan of the medical literature.

FYI ...

Tongue Function: An Underrecognized Component in the Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea with Mandibular Repositioning Appliance

Oropharyngeal exercises in the treatment of obstructive sleep apnoea: our experience.

Effects of one-week tongue-task training on sleep apnea severity: A pilot study

Obstructive sleep apnea: focus on myofunctional therapy

Effects of anterior tongue strengthening exercises on posterior tongue strength in healthy young adults.

Tongue-Strengthening Exercises in Healthy Older Adults: Specificity of Bulb Position and Detraining Effects.

I would be interested in your impressions.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.