Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Questions about OSCAR data/SpO2/heart rate/flow limitations
RE: Questions about OSCAR data/SpO2/heart rate/flow limitations
What pulse ox are you using again, Viatom or Contec?

If it's a Contec, then you can do that easily by going into their SpO2 Assistant software, load up the session, and you can then just select the area you want.

If it's Viatom, it's a bit less obvious. Probably the easiest way (aside from hacking around in the original binary data file) would be to extract the data from that session as a CSV, import it into your spreadsheet application of choice, then delete the rows after the time you took your mask off. Then you can just use the spreadsheet to average the remaining values.

I really must get around to hacking together something to ger more detailed stats from the pulse ox data.

If you get stuck, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2022, 08:58 AM)Ratchick Wrote: What pulse ox are you using again, Viatom or Contec?

If it's a Contec, then you can do that easily by going into their SpO2 Assistant software, load up the session, and you can then just select the area you want.

If it's Viatom, it's a bit less obvious. Probably the easiest way (aside from hacking around in the original binary data file) would be to extract the data from that session as a CSV, import it into your spreadsheet application of choice, then delete the rows after the time you took your mask off. Then you can just use the spreadsheet to average the remaining values.

I really must get around to hacking together something to ger more detailed stats from the pulse ox data.

If you get stuck, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the info. I'm using a Contec. I was able to select the area I don't want and exclude it, and I have the minimum value and time below 88% data that I want, but I'm now sure where to find the average. On the SpO2 Assistant report, is the Basal SpO2% the average?

In OSCAR, it looks like it shows the median value rather than mean. Would those be essentially the same?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
In OSCAR, hover your mouse pointer over the SpO2 label on the far left side of the Daily screen. A popup box will appear with the average.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure about finding the average in the Contec software, to be honest - there are some reports though, perhaps check those using the same limited data set? I suspect what you are seeing is the baseline calculation they are using to calculate the ODI from, rather than the average (whether mean or median).

Otherwise, you could just export the data from that to a CSV and go on with the suggestion for Viatom. I really am going to create a way to manipulate the data someday.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello again.

I finally got another sleep study (saw a new doctor in April who ordered it). Unfortunately, they had a sleep number bed, which my body hates, and I was awake because I was in pain and couldn't get comfortable for over two hours in the middle of the night. However, I had my typical drops in oxygen, so I feel vindicated! (That's what's important right? Oh, well, a good sleep would be nice too.)  Bigwink

.pdf   2022.06.10 Sleep Study REDACTED.pdf (Size: 501.84 KB / Downloads: 2)
Post Reply Post Reply
The comments in the sleep study about the PLM being mild are curious. Your PLM Arousals were 18.3/hour, but PLMI was 48.3/hr. The AASM PLM signifcance threshold of 15/hour is based on PLMI, not on arousals. That's a lot of arousals!

I'm not sure why they didn't think 14/8 was the best pressure setting tried... it seems to have lower AHI, lower LM compared to the 18/13 numbers.

I see mention of Ferritin studies in the report - do you have any historical stats on this?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2022, 12:24 AM)kappa Wrote: The comments in the sleep study about the PLM being mild are curious. Your PLM Arousals were 18.3/hour, but PLMI was 48.3/hr. The AASM PLM signifcance threshold of 15/hour is based on PLMI, not on arousals. That's a lot of arousals!

I'm not sure why they didn't think 14/8 was the best pressure setting tried... it seems to have lower AHI, lower LM compared to the 18/13 numbers.

I see mention of Ferritin studies in the report - do you have any historical stats on this?

Is it weird that I didn't have a PLM issue ten months ago? (Sleep Study Aug, 2021, PLMD Arousal Index 2.7/hour) But I've been having intermittent restless leg syndrome for 15 years.

Ferritin Serum/Plasma history:
6/1/18    10 ng/mL
12/8/21  31 ng/mL (Since my level was below 70, my sleep doctor started me on 650mg ferrous sulfate daily with vit C)
2/3/22    53 ng/mL 

I've been told several times that I am anemic.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the nature of RLS/PLM is that it is rather inconsistent. I see in that same study you had Limb Movement Arousal indexes of 7.6/h (diagnostic) and 5.0/h (PAP), with PLMI of 9.9/hr (diagnostic) and 71.7/hr (PAP) (!). I'm really not sure why this sleep center is using the PLM arousal index as the diagnosic threshold - I can't find anything that supports this in the literature... only a diagnostic threshold being changed from PLMI > 5 to PLMI > 15 in 2005.

Getting your iron levels up may help with the RLS/PLM. 53 ng/mL is still quite low.

There's clearly a lot going on here... it certainly seems that there a multiple potential factors and xPAP (in any format) is not necessarily going to address all of them...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 14 366 2 hours ago
Last Post: RichardW
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 9 1,534 5 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 5 176 Today, 08:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Any insight on this data from OSCAR? jake79 2 119 Today, 08:49 AM
Last Post: jake79
  Low AHI vs. low Flow Limitation apneakid 13 960 Yesterday, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help with adjustments post open heart valve replacement SistineKid 2 91 04-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: SistineKid
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 17 838 04-19-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.