[Diagnosis] ResScan Read and understand?
Bladskinner Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed 9 Elite
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Q
Humidifier: Resumed H5 (disttilled) top up ,dish soap
CPAP Pressure: 11
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: ResScan Read and understand?
(01-11-2014 12:26 PM)me50 Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 12:16 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 12:11 PM)Lukie Wrote:  Have you tried a nasal mask like the wisp or nano? I had huge leaks with my ff mask quattro air and have just about switched totally over to my swift fx nano which is nasal not pillows but you can always add pillows to it because they use the same head frame.
My leaks are less and my AHI is much better with the nasal mask which I use with a ruby red chin strap.

Well I have a mustache and the tech didn't think it would work.

The nasal mask just covers your nose and the pillows inside your nose. I don't know if a mustache will affect it but it is worth a try and the nasal mask and pillows are a whole lot less expensive. You can get a new cushion every month (2 nasal mask cushion, 2 nasal pillow cushions or 1 ffm cushion) if you want to. Every 3 months, if you want to, you can get a new frame and cushion. Every 6 months, if you want to, you can get a new headgear according to medicare guidelines which most insurance companies follow. If you don't have insurance, then it is up to you and what you can afford as to when you replace your supplies.

I do want to try one and I am going to call on Monday. I have ordered a hose hanger with the hopes it also helps keeping the leaks down.
01-12-2014 12:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
ozzydudemike Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed FX Nasal Pillows
Humidifier: Resmed HI5
CPAP Pressure: 0-20
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

G'day . First post here, and new user, but I have a goatee with mustache and during trials with the hired S9 my leak rate was ridiculous with nano and full face. In order to stop fur leakage I pulled the straps so tight it closed my sinuses at the side of my nose. Bought 3 masks with my own unit....one was the cushions that sit on your nostrils and doesn't have a mask as such. What a revelation! Hardly know I'm wearing it. Even the fan noise seems quieter due to less volume maybe (or imagination). It uses the water in the humidifier tank slower, and my leak rates.... Median is 0.0...95th percentile is 2.4......maximum of 6. No tube hanger, or anything. 8-)
01-14-2014 06:45 AM
Bladskinner Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(01-14-2014 06:45 AM)ozzydudemike Wrote:  G'day . First post here, and new user, but I have a goatee with mustache and during trials with the hired S9 my leak rate was ridiculous with nano and full face. In order to stop fur leakage I pulled the straps so tight it closed my sinuses at the side of my nose. Bought 3 masks with my own unit....one was the cushions that sit on your nostrils and doesn't have a mask as such. What a revelation! Hardly know I'm wearing it. Even the fan noise seems quieter due to less volume maybe (or imagination). It uses the water in the humidifier tank slower, and my leak rates.... Median is 0.0...95th percentile is 2.4......maximum of 6. No tube hanger, or anything. 8-)

Yea I tried the pillows and they irritate my nostrils with a burning sensation. Can't tolerate them. But they did work well as far as the best leak scores as of yet.
01-14-2014 12:05 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
JohnNJ Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet & ResMed Power Station II
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Wisp & ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i & ClimateLine (distilled / fresh daily)
CPAP Pressure: 9.4 - 10

Other Comments: First night - November 25, 2013

(01-14-2014 12:05 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:  Yea I tried the pillows and they irritate my nostrils with a burning sensation. Can't tolerate them. But they did work well as far as the best leak scores as of yet.

Have you tried Ayr Saline Nasal Gel, with Soothing Aloe, with the pillows?
01-14-2014 12:17 PM
Bladskinner Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(01-14-2014 12:17 PM)JohnNJ Wrote:  
(01-14-2014 12:05 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:  Yea I tried the pillows and they irritate my nostrils with a burning sensation. Can't tolerate them. But they did work well as far as the best leak scores as of yet.

Have you tried Ayr Saline Nasal Gel, with Soothing Aloe, with the pillows?

No but now that u mentioned it I will. Thanks any others to try I was thinking Vaseline.
01-14-2014 09:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Surly Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: PRS1 60 Series REMstar Auto A-Flex
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Swift FX Nano
Humidifier: PRS1 60 Series Heated Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 14.5 Opti Start - 18 (APAP)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Using latest unstable version of SleepyHead for Mac

(01-14-2014 09:58 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:  
(01-14-2014 12:17 PM)JohnNJ Wrote:  Have you tried Ayr Saline Nasal Gel, with Soothing Aloe, with the pillows?
Thanks any others to try I was thinking Vaseline.

I could be mistaken but I don't think it is a good idea to have petroleum based product like Vaseline come in contact with a mask cushion/pillow.
01-15-2014 01:19 AM
3porpoise Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt ASV
Mask Make & Model: Resmed mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: epap 5 PS 3-8

Other Comments: the world hasn't always been flat

Sex: Undisclosed
(01-15-2014 01:19 AM)Surly Wrote:  
(01-14-2014 09:58 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:  
(01-14-2014 12:17 PM)JohnNJ Wrote:  Have you tried Ayr Saline Nasal Gel, with Soothing Aloe, with the pillows?
Thanks any others to try I was thinking Vaseline.

I could be mistaken but I don't think it is a good idea to have petroleum based product like Vaseline come in contact with a mask cushion/pillow.

According to info sheet received in welcome to CPAP kit from clinic , "petroleum ointments such as Vaseline or Mentholatum in the nose are not to be used when using CPAP therapy since these ointments can be forced into the lungs and lead to lipoid Pneumonia"
"alternatives that do not contain any petroleum-based products and may be purchased from any pharmacy: normal saline spray, KY Jelly, Secaris ( nasal Gel),Rhinaris ( gel or spray) Hydrasense - gentle nozzle ( especially if you have allergies)"
So please check it out with Dr./pharmacy/therapist
Hope this helps.
01-15-2014 09:03 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Bladskinner Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(01-15-2014 09:03 AM)3porpoise Wrote:  
(01-15-2014 01:19 AM)Surly Wrote:  
(01-14-2014 09:58 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:  Thanks any others to try I was thinking Vaseline.

According to info sheet received in welcome to CPAP kit from clinic , "petroleum ointments such as Vaseline or Mentholatum in the nose are not to be used when using CPAP therapy since these ointments can be forced into the lungs and lead to lipoid Pneumonia"
"alternatives that do not contain any petroleum-based products and may be purchased from any pharmacy: normal saline spray, KY Jelly, Secaris ( nasal Gel),Rhinaris ( gel or spray) Hydrasense - gentle nozzle ( especially if you have allergies)"
So please check it out with Dr./pharmacy/therapist
Hope this helps.

Yes you are right vasiline should not be used.
Thanks
01-15-2014 07:43 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(01-14-2014 06:45 AM)ozzydudemike Wrote:  Bought 3 masks with my own unit...
Hi ozzydudemike, welcome aboard
FYI, suppliers #2 and #10 ship to Australia and prices cheaper than local ones
I get my supplies once a year to save on shipping costs from #10 but you need to know mask type and size
Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Supplier-List
01-15-2014 08:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Bladskinner Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(01-11-2014 12:26 PM)me50 Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 12:16 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 12:11 PM)Lukie Wrote:  Have you tried a nasal mask like the wisp or nano? I had huge leaks with my ff mask quattro air and have just about switched totally over to my swift fx nano which is nasal not pillows but you can always add pillows to it because they use the same head frame.
My leaks are less and my AHI is much better with the nasal mask which I use with a ruby red chin strap.

Well I have a mustache and the tech didn't think it would work.

The nasal mask just covers your nose and the pillows inside your nose. I don't know if a mustache will affect it but it is worth a try and the nasal mask and pillows are a whole lot less expensive. You can get a new cushion every month (2 nasal mask cushion, 2 nasal pillow cushions or 1 ffm cushion) if you want to. Every 3 months, if you want to, you can get a new frame and cushion. Every 6 months, if you want to, you can get a new headgear according to medicare guidelines which most insurance companies follow. If you don't have insurance, then it is up to you and what you can afford as to when you replace your supplies.

Ok so now I have tried a nasal mask with my mustache and it works fine no leaks. But for some reason still irritates me. I guess I'll just stay with full face but try a different brand.
01-26-2014 09:26 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  unable to access SD card using ResScan charles hoag 3 78 Yesterday 10:14 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Trying to understand apnea and cpap KCap 7 304 10-27-2016 04:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Ontario question...Understand ADP Rules? cate1898 21 2,788 10-13-2016 12:15 PM
Last Post: Raff
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 2 6,119 10-12-2016 11:37 AM
Last Post: DariaVader
  24 AHI Pie Charts: Trying to understand where I Am Spy Car 21 812 09-14-2016 06:26 PM
Last Post: Spy Car
  ResScan Reports for AHI Differs From Machine AHI nadprok 2 287 08-02-2016 11:54 AM
Last Post: nadprok
  Problem with ResScan HL649 3 400 08-01-2016 01:50 AM
Last Post: srlevine1